Goddard to Carlton?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Sainterman wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:One simple question. How can they afford him. Actually two questions. How does he get there. If we choose to let him go then we are shutting the window on Joey, Lenny, Rooy and Chips. And even worse. Doing it at the wrong time.
Why would it be shutting the window on those guys and why is it the wrong time?
Because we are losing our second or third best player that will most likely be replaced by the 33rd best player. And GWS get the first 400 picks. If you cant see that then you are obviously Stevie Wonder.
So what will we get for him when free agency comes in?
Is he leaving as soon as it comes in?
How would I know but what I do know is that any negotiating power the Saints have until it comes into effect will be non existent. Have a think about it for nano second.
They will have plenty of negotiating power if they sign him up before the end of next year though. That is, contract him beyond 2012 now!
Even under free agency, If we can match the offer of the bidding rival club, he couldn't leave us, unless we traded him or he nominated for the draft.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:One simple question. How can they afford him. Actually two questions. How does he get there. If we choose to let him go then we are shutting the window on Joey, Lenny, Rooy and Chips. And even worse. Doing it at the wrong time.
Because we are losing our second or third best player that will most likely be replaced by the 33rd best player. And GWS get the first 400 picks. If you cant see that then you are obviously Stevie Wonder.
How would I know but what I do know is that any negotiating power the Saints currently have and right up until it comes into effect will be non existent. Have a think about it for nano second.
If that is the case we better get rid of every player out of contract before free agancy as should every other club. Maybe you need to think about it a bit longer than a nano second.
Are you sucking down the cones a little harder today. Every other player does not have the value Goddard has. More thinking, less smoking.

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

End Of An Era wrote:No way would I accept pick 18 and a few crappy players for Goddard. :evil: If we are to trade Goddard we want at least 1 top 5 pick and 1 top 10 pick.

Macca posted the following....
Macca 3 October 2011 1:57PM
The blues first pick is 18, so would that plus Mclean, O'hailpin and Russell get the deal done?

My answer to that is a BIG NO!!!! Two top 10 picks plus all of those players, MAYBE.
What would Essendon offer?

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
SaintWodonga
Club Player

How would Carlton get low picks for us to trade him? Don't think they can do it. Although next year with free agency moving in, he could end up there.

If a player leaves a club under free agency, does the club that the player left get draft picks or compensation?

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

End Of An Era wrote:No way would I accept pick 18 and a few crappy players for Goddard. :evil: If we are to trade Goddard we want at least 1 top 5 pick and 1 top 10 pick.

Macca posted the following....
Macca 3 October 2011 1:57PM
The blues first pick is 18, so would that plus Mclean, O'hailpin and Russell get the deal done?

My answer to that is a BIG NO!!!! Two top 10 picks plus all of those players, MAYBE.
Carlton has Pick 22 not 18. (We have Pick 20 & they finished higher then us!!)

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

What a load of hogwash in that article.

That is an opinion piece not a factual report.

markinUSA
SS Life Member

Are the Saints reducing their spending to the minimum of the salary cap? Is that true?

"Don't give up, never give up" - Robert Harvey.
markinUSA
SS Life Member

Are the Saints reducing their spending to the minimum of the salary cap? Is that true?

"Don't give up, never give up" - Robert Harvey.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
How would I know but what I do know is that any negotiating power the Saints currently have and right up until it comes into effect will be non existent. Have a think about it for nano second.
If that is the case we better get rid of every player out of contract before free agancy as should every other club. Maybe you need to think about it a bit longer than a nano second.
Are you sucking down the cones a little harder today. Every other player does not have the value Goddard has. More thinking, less smoking.
Yes but if they are leaving as every player will apparently we may as well trade them for something. As someone pointed out unless you have 10 years service you cant leave the club anyway so how does that go with your theory. May as well trade Joey, Dal and Rooy as well because they have excellent value because one day they will leave as well because of free agency. Everyone does.

stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

markinUSA wrote:Are the Saints reducing their spending to the minimum of the salary cap? Is that true?
All media speculation i think.

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
Yes but if they are leaving as every player will apparently we may as well trade them for something. As someone pointed out unless you have 10 years service you cant leave the club anyway so how does that go with your theory. May as well trade Joey, Dal and Rooy as well because they have excellent value because one day they will leave as well because of free agency. Everyone does.
More speculation and less common sense please!

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

How could they possibly expect to fit in another number 1 draft pick in his prime to go along with Murphy, Gibbs and Kruezer as well as Judd, Simpson, Warnock, Scotland, Waite, Walker etc as well as dead salary space like McLean? Not to mention the likes of Yarran, Betts, Jamison and Gartlett would all be expecting significant pay increases.

If Goddard leaves (which I really can't see happening), it would surely be for a ridiculous contract at an expansion club.

Saints94
SS Life Member

Wait are they looking to trade now or when his contract expires?

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
Are you so stoned today that you can't see the benefit in a BJ deal now versus a deal done when free agency comes in.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
Are you so stoned today that you can't see the benefit in a BJ deal now versus a deal done when free agency comes in.
But that is the same with every player. As i said what about Joey, Rooy and dal. Are saying because of this article we know BJ wants to leave so lets do it. What happens if Joey wants to leave next year. We may as well trade them all just in case. Its not only illogical its stupid.

GoSaints11

Fellow saints supporters - I need your help...

I remember before juddy choose the Blues in 2006/7, there was an article in one of the newspapers with Juddy in a saints jumper (photoshop)... i think the article was something like "saints to move heaven and earth to get judd" (or something like that).

Can anybody who knows where to find this picture, please post it.

I'm coping heaps of c**p from some mates about this goddard trade talk and have to fit fire with fire...

Cheers in advance, for anyone that can assist...

St Kilda is a great club - don't ever forget it. It's the peope (supporters, players, coaches & staff) that make it great.
Solar
Saintsational Legend

markinUSA wrote:Are the Saints reducing their spending to the minimum of the salary cap? Is that true?
The AFL has actually encouraged clubs to pay close to 100% as part of their previous deal with the AFLPA.

Second fact is that if he is in the top 5 paid players all the club needs to do is match what the player is offered. No way the blues could afford to beat our offer.

Thidly why would the saints deal with carlton when GWS will either give themthe best 17 year old in a long time, a couple of top ten picks or compo next year (2 frst round picks like ablett).

Stupid article

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
But that is the same with every player. As i said what about Joey, Rooy and dal. Are saying because of this article we know BJ wants to leave so lets do it. What happens if Joey wants to leave next year. We may as well trade them all just in case. Its not only illogical its stupid.
It's probably about Goddard because there has been some sought of leak. Also Joey and Roo are not as attractive to teams pressing for a cup as BJ is. He's one of the most versatile players in the league. Roo can't kick and has damaged his stocks considerably this year. Joey is too inconsistent. Dal would be attractive to other clubs too so who knows.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

GoSaints11 wrote:Fellow saints supporters - I need your help...

I remember before juddy choose the Blues in 2006/7, there was an article in one of the newspapers with Juddy in a saints jumper (photoshop)... i think the article was something like "saints to move heaven and earth to get judd" (or something like that).

Can anybody who knows where to find this picture, please post it.

I'm coping heaps of c**p from some mates about this goddard trade talk and have to fit fire with fire...

Cheers in advance, for anyone that can assist...
Best I can do is…
Judd to Essendon, Hurley to the Saints and Goddard to the Blues…

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:

“There will be no cones smoked under a forum I leadâ€

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

For a start, Carlton has pick 22, not 18. That belongs to North. How are Carlton goint ot get its hands on high draft picks to satisfy St.Kilda? No way. The only club that can do this is GWS. After all they have 8 or the first 15 picks. Plus they have the 4 kids they can offer as well, or the pick of them anyway. This is a fantasy.

GoSaints11

Cheers Dragit.

i can work with Juddy in a bombers jumper!

St Kilda is a great club - don't ever forget it. It's the peope (supporters, players, coaches & staff) that make it great.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

[quote="Dr Spaceman"]

“There will be no cones smoked under a forum I leadâ€

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Why do they reckon they can bend St.Kilda over so they can take it up the backside?

Another opportunity awaits!
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Must apologise. I posted above after only reading Page One.