Am I delusional

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Am I delusional

Maybe it was the bintangs, maybe it was the bar girls dressed in their Saints hats and scarves ( sorry matrix ) but I cant help but think our current team with a bit more flair and attacking gameplan would have beaten both those teams. Bring on the new coach I say. There is gold in them hills saintsationalists- Now back to those bintangs, scarves and hats................ if only we had rosettes

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Not to be a cold fish but if you think we could have beaten either of those sides today I'm sorry to say you're delusional. (we were PUMPED by the Swans, remember?)

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

thejiggingsaint wrote:Not to be a cold fish but if you think we could have beaten either of those sides today I'm sorry to say you're delusional. (we were PUMPED by the Swans, remember?)
He did say with a bit more flair or attacking gameplan, we might have had their measure. FWIW, I think I agree.... call me delusional too but I don't know. I'm starting to have a bit more hope and faith in us now.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

OneEyedSainter77 wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:Not to be a cold fish but if you think we could have beaten either of those sides today I'm sorry to say you're delusional. (we were PUMPED by the Swans, remember?)
He did say with a bit more flair or attacking gameplan, we might have had their measure. FWIW, I think I agree.... call me delusional too but I don't know. I'm starting to have a bit more hope and faith in us now.
i think he meant "if they were made to wear flares..."

“Yeah….nah””
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

We dont have the players to any more.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Hey man! thats some weird s*** y'all smoking!!! 8-)

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Straight back to the bar tony and shout those girls a drink as well...

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Iceman234 wrote:Straight back to the bar tony and shout those girls a drink as well...
Yeah, the ball's in your court tony.

Although it was somewhere else 10 seconds ago 8-)

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Iceman234 wrote:Straight back to the bar tony and shout those girls a drink as well...

That particular ball travels from one side of the table to the other fairly quickly...

jmac101
Club Player

All depends on what we do in draft/trade week. Hang on to our players and add some cream and we can challenge again. Cats lost to swans around the same time we did remember. When we are relatively healthy we cab still win this thing.

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Dr Spaceman wrote:

It hit the post Dr. but the goal umpire gave it a goal

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Re: Am I delusional

tony74 wrote:Maybe it was the bintangs, maybe it was the bar girls dressed in their Saints hats and scarves ( sorry matrix ) but I cant help but think our current team with a bit more flair and attacking gameplan would have beaten both those teams. Bring on the new coach I say. There is gold in them hills saintsationalists- Now back to those bintangs, scarves and hats................ if only we had rosettes
yes

“Yeah….nah””
Richter
SS Life Member

No mate, you are not delusional.

Make no mistake, next year is WIDE OPEN.

Cats - still a big threat, but a year older, Ling/maybe Ottens finishing up

Pies - likewise will be up there - but I can't help feeling that they have been found out and caught up with. Will they be able to regroup under an untried new coach?

Hawks - my early tip for next year's flag. So close to beating Collingwood this year. SOme good younger lads coming through, and stars in Hodge, Buddy, Mitchell still in their prime.

Carlton - will be a huge threat if they can keep some Talls fit, or trade for one.

Saints - the big three of BJ, Roo and Lenny key for us - all injured to a greater or lesser degree. Backed up by Chips, Joey, Dal. Will Stevey Milne still be able to deliver? Can Armo and Jack step up a further level? Are Cripps/Walsh/Sippos/Ledger any chance of becoming AFL regulars?

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Saints94
SS Life Member

Richter wrote:No mate, you are not delusional.

Make no mistake, next year is WIDE OPEN.

Cats - still a big threat, but a year older, Ling/maybe Ottens finishing up

Pies - likewise will be up there - but I can't help feeling that they have been found out and caught up with. Will they be able to regroup under an untried new coach?

Hawks - my early tip for next year's flag. So close to beating Collingwood this year. SOme good younger lads coming through, and stars in Hodge, Buddy, Mitchell still in their prime.

Carlton - will be a huge threat if they can keep some Talls fit, or trade for one.

Saints - the big three of BJ, Roo and Lenny key for us - all injured to a greater or lesser degree. Backed up by Chips, Joey, Dal. Will Stevey Milne still be able to deliver? Can Armo and Jack step up a further level? Are Cripps/Walsh/Sippos/Ledger any chance of becoming AFL regulars?
+1

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

+2 to what Richter said, except I'm a sceptic about Carlton's potential to go much higher. They remind me of the Bombers towards the end of Sheedy's reign: some great players, can beat anyone on their day, but generally a few seconds off the pace.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Saints94
SS Life Member

meher baba wrote:+2 to what Richter said, except I'm a sceptic about Carlton's potential to go much higher. They remind me of the Bombers towards the end of Sheedy's reign: some great players, can beat anyone on their day, but generally a few seconds off the pace.
Its really Murphy & Judd or bust.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:+2 to what Richter said, except I'm a sceptic about Carlton's potential to go much higher. They remind me of the Bombers towards the end of Sheedy's reign: some great players, can beat anyone on their day, but generally a few seconds off the pace.
The problem is they finished about 3 games ahead of us. Why would they drop down. There are young side with plenty of upside. We are old side hoping 2 injured players can at least get us 3 extra wins and that being Lenny and Rooy. If you were looking from the outside we cant possibly pass any of the top 5 sides.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
The problem is they finished about 3 games ahead of us. Why would they drop down. There are young side with plenty of upside. We are old side hoping 2 injured players can at least get us 3 extra wins and that being Lenny and Rooy. If you were looking from the outside we cant possibly pass any of the top 5 sides.
Why does that improvement have to be only Lenny and Roo. We would need some improvement from the bottom up. This year we had our issues but we also had Gwilt really step up to be a super consistent back. We played Armo, Steven and Mc Evoy into players and blooded three good young smalls and a promising forward. We have some talent as back up as well. bulls*** we can't get extra wins, we narrowly lost about 5 games. All teams need improvement to stay ahead it can come from anywhere. I have a feeling Cripps will explode next year, Ledger and Crocker will get some games, Sipposs and Walsh look like getting games. the future looks alright to me. That win for Geelong will add some massive motivation to a team that looked battered mentally and physically.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Why does that improvement have to be only Lenny and Roo. We would need some improvement from the bottom up. This year we had our issues but we also had Gwilt really step up to be a super consistent back. We played Armo, Steven and Mc Evoy into players and blooded three good young smalls and a promising forward. We have some talent as back up as well. bulls*** we can't get extra wins, we narrowly lost about 5 games. All teams need improvement to stay ahead it can come from anywhere. I have a feeling Cripps will explode next year, Ledger and Crocker will get some games, Sipposs and Walsh look like getting games. the future looks alright to me. That win for Geelong will add some massive motivation to a team that looked battered mentally and physically.

Cripps, Siposs, Ledger and one or two others may play 10 -15 games next year however to improve they would have to get into our top 10 to 12 players on the list. That is highly unlikely in their second year especially as they werent high draft picks in the first place. If you can name top 30 or 40 picks that have had an influence in their second year then I may agree with you. There wouldnt be many if any and all of a sudden we wnt 3 or 4 to have an influence. Jack will hopefully continue to improve as will Ben but we need 3 more wins at least to go up the ladder. The sides above us have as many if not more players that will continue to improve. Of the top 5 sides, Geelong and us would have the least players out of our regulars that will continue to improve. The problem is Geelong are miles ahead of us.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Cripps, Siposs, Ledger and one or two others may play 10 -15 games next year however to improve they would have to get into our top 10 to 12 players on the list. That is highly unlikely in their second year especially as they werent high draft picks in the first place. If you can name top 30 or 40 picks that have had an influence in their second year then I may agree with you. There wouldnt be many if any and all of a sudden we wnt 3 or 4 to have an influence. Jack will hopefully continue to improve as will Ben but we need 3 more wins at least to go up the ladder. The sides above us have as many if not more players that will continue to improve. Of the top 5 sides, Geelong and us would have the least players out of our regulars that will continue to improve. The problem is Geelong are miles ahead of us.
They didn't cream us this season so why are they so far ahead. Cripps was first round and I expect him to play more. Dyson Heppel came on in his first, Gaff, Darling, Butcher, Rich, ....there are hundreds over the years that come on in their first couple of years. We had so much baggage this season we were not where we are capable of. I can not say catagorically that we will improve but neither can you say we will not. I didn't see to many predict Geelong would win at the end of last year. I didn't see anyone declaring West Coast top 4 so why not improvement, a new coach will be great motivation.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

They didn't cream us this season so why are they so far ahead. Cripps was first round and I expect him to play more. Dyson Heppel came on in his first, Gaff, Darling, Butcher, Rich, ....there are hundreds over the years that come on in their first couple of years. We had so much baggage this season we were not where we are capable of. I can not say catagorically that we will improve but neither can you say we will not. I didn't see to many predict Geelong would win at the end of last year. I didn't see anyone declaring West Coast top 4 so why not improvement, a new coach will be great motivation.
Geelong finished both seasons second before the finals. They played well in this years finals. WCE improved magnificently. No one saw that probably not even WCE supporters. Cripps is a first round pick this year but in other year would have been mid second round as he was taken pick 25. He will hopefully improve again next year but as I said he would have to move into out top 12 players to actually make an impact to the side. Cant see it happening. Hopefully I am wrong. We are pinning our hopes on what happened to WCE this year. Doesnt happen a lot but again hopefully happens next year. The main problem that I see is to get into the top 4 you must replace someone. Which of those top 5 sides will go down. I doubt any baring things out of their control like injury or a very hard fixture.

PJ
SS Life Member

I think no one can predict what will happen that's the point so why predict in the negative? Unless of course you're a pessimist...oh yeh that's right

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:I think no one can predict what will happen that's the point so why predict in the negative? Unless of course you're a pessimist...oh yeh that's right
It is called realistic. You can live in fantasy land I will live in Melbourne. Do I want to be right. No.

PJ
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
PJ wrote:I think no one can predict what will happen that's the point so why predict in the negative? Unless of course you're a pessimist...oh yeh that's right
It is called realistic. You can live in fantasy land I will live in Melbourne. Do I want to be right. No.
Your predictions are negative not realistic...they never have been and never will be. By the way how do I live in fantasy land - where have I made any predictions....or are you just making up more negative BS

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
How is it any more realistic? It is opinion and guess work. You can use history to show that likely or unlikely events may occur but at the end of the day it is a guess. My hypothesis is that it is easier from where we are coming from than where Brisbane is coming from. We have been a finals contender and know the way to get there, we have a decent core and could go either way. I prefer hope than throwing in the towel mentally and i hope the players are the same.