Will Chris Scott do a Charlie Clymo?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Will Chris Scott do a Charlie Clymo?

I doubt it. Congrats to Chris (and Brad for that matter). There is something about hard nosed, straight talking, no frills players who coach in the same style. Memo to Saints coach selection panel. The Cats didn't deserve to win the 2009 flag, a point graciously acknowledged by their coach at the time who said they that were, "very, very lucky", but they have deserved the 2011 flag. It may serve as a model for our Saints for 2012. We can only hope. Go Saints!

mullet
Saintsational Legend

lets hope history repeats next year with our new rookie coach

luc1966
Club Player

Very true congrats to the cats an scott as you said hopefully we may follow

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Re: Will Chris Scott do a Charlie Clymo?

perfectionist wrote:I doubt it. Congrats to Chris (and Brad for that matter). There is something about hard nosed, straight talking, no frills players who coach in the same style. Memo to Saints coach selection panel. The Cats didn't deserve to win the 2009 flag, a point graciously acknowledged by their coach at the time who said they that were, "very, very lucky", but they have deserved the 2011 flag. It may serve as a model for our Saints for 2012. We can only hope. Go Saints!
Yes. Good points. And never acknowledged by the filth that they were lucky to get away with the draw and to get a second chance.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
perfectionist wrote:I doubt it. Congrats to Chris (and Brad for that matter). There is something about hard nosed, straight talking, no frills players who coach in the same style. Memo to Saints coach selection panel. The Cats didn't deserve to win the 2009 flag, a point graciously acknowledged by their coach at the time who said they that were, "very, very lucky", but they have deserved the 2011 flag. It may serve as a model for our Saints for 2012. We can only hope. Go Saints!
Yes. Good points. And never acknowledged by the filth that they were lucky to get away with the draw and to get a second chance.
Reckon that is unfair. Maxwell said it for sure.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
Reckon that is unfair. Maxwell said it for sure.
didn't hear it but if I'm wrong I'm wrong.

heard Shaw say this week that they had so many players down and still got away with the draw.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

I should add, for those who don't know, Charlie Clymo coached Geelong to the 1931 flag in his first season, and then 'retired' to coach in the bush.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

There was an in depth article on Clymo in either The Age, or Inside Football, I can't recall which atm. It was fascinating and well written, which probably excludes IF. The article went onto debunk the myth that Charlie was a poor coach, or that he was supposedly unpopular with his players. The general consensus, probably brought about by the late Bob Davis' continual milking of the joke, was that anybody could've coached Geelong to the flag in 1931 because the personnel was so good.

Apparently both Clymo and the club were keen to continue on together, but money was the issue. Clymo eventually left when he was offered substantially more to coach in the bush. I think the "new" deal was done in just 72 hours and he accepted it and left without telling anyone (i made up this last sentence).

Just goes to show the more things change, the more they stay the same.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!