Another way to look at Ross Lyon

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

dartos
Club Player

Another way to look at Ross Lyon

Interesting perspective on Ross Lyon
Before I start I liked Ross and I liked winning. Maybe it was ugly in some peoples minds but I did love that we had beaten Carlton so many times and with that bit of luck we might have had some silver in the cabinet. Personally I don’t enjoy name calling 
It makes threads look like the grade six playground!

Now It is a pity that we learnt so much about him when he’s gone. In my mind Ross is a gambler and as gamblers go he has a fifty - fifty success rate. It is interesting that he backed all his family’s money on one get rich quick scheme. We all know the proverb 
don’t put all your eggs in one basket but he did and hence the move was to protect his family...mmm protect the family I completely agree with him but why didn’t he do it in the beginning and if that is the case why did he put everything on one horse!

Another example of this was our good mate “Andrew Lovettâ€

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Re: Another way to look at Ross Lyon

dartos wrote:Maybe it was ugly in some peoples minds but I did love that we had beaten Carlton so many times
I thought we started losing to them again under Lyon!

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
dartos wrote:Maybe it was ugly in some peoples minds but I did love that we had beaten Carlton so many times
I thought we started losing to them again under Lyon!
and we actually started winning under gt, from the early 2000 onwards

I love this club
Saints43
Club Player

dartos wrote:Ross is a gambler and as gamblers go he has a fifty - fifty success rate. It is interesting that he backed all his family’s money on one get rich quick scheme!
Have I got this right? Ross invested in a mining company in 2000. This caused him to have to sell his house in 2010. Which meant he had to go to Freo.

If he invested in 2000 then what happened to the money he made as an assistant coach 2001-2006. And the money he made at St Kilda 2007-2011 which - conservatively - must be over $1.5M.

Is that the story?

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

[quote="dartos"]Interesting perspective on Ross Lyon
Before I start I liked Ross and I liked winning. Maybe it was ugly in some peoples minds but I did love that we had beaten Carlton so many times and with that bit of luck we might have had some silver in the cabinet. Personally I don’t enjoy name calling 
It makes threads look like the grade six playground!

Now It is a pity that we learnt so much about him when he’s gone. In my mind Ross is a gambler and as gamblers go he has a fifty - fifty success rate. It is interesting that he backed all his family’s money on one get rich quick scheme. We all know the proverb 
don’t put all your eggs in one basket but he did and hence the move was to protect his family...mmm protect the family I completely agree with him but why didn’t he do it in the beginning and if that is the case why did he put everything on one horse!

Another example of this was our good mate “Andrew Lovettâ€

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

Saints43 wrote:
dartos wrote:Ross is a gambler and as gamblers go he has a fifty - fifty success rate. It is interesting that he backed all his family’s money on one get rich quick scheme!
Have I got this right? Ross invested in a mining company in 2000. This caused him to have to sell his house in 2010. Which meant he had to go to Freo.

If he invested in 2000 then what happened to the money he made as an assistant coach 2001-2006. And the money he made at St Kilda 2007-2011 which - conservatively - must be over $1.5M.

Is that the story?
Yes.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:
Saints43 wrote:

Is that the story?
Yes.
while I am sure that the story is true, i think he uses it to vindicate his decision to take the money and run, in the process he has sullied his own name and this is a way to reduce the damage to his reputation

I love this club
Saints43
Club Player

Stillwaiting wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:
Saints43 wrote:

Is that the story?
Yes.
while I am sure that the story is true, i think he uses it to vindicate his decision to take the money and run, in the process he has sullied his own name and this is a way to reduce the damage to his reputation
How can that story be true? Even if RL lost every cent he'd ever made up until 2000 there's no way he'd need to sell his house last year based on an investment made in 2000.

To lose his house the investment would need to have been massive (virtually all of his assets) AND geared to the point where a margin call took all of the money he'd have been paid from 2000-2011. In one single investment. How unlikely is that?

Maybe I'm on the wrong horse here....

dartos
Club Player

After reading all the replies I am in two minds about Ross Lyon. First when you think that he put his whole life into one or two investments which seems crazy to me and many others obviously if he did that means the bloke is a serious gambler or a.....

or

He is not telling the truth and playing the family card to make himself look better in the eyes of new players, old players , media and the rest of us. To me that is pretty low and it might take a toll on him somewhere down the track.

Thanks for the ideas and now I have a clear idea on Ross Lyon.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

The difference between GT's exit and that of Ross is interesting to look at

GT look liked he just been dumped by his wife....he was visibly gutted

Ross was the cheating wife, trying to justify his transgression.....

saintnick12
Club Player

BigMart wrote:The difference between GT's exit and that of Ross is interesting to look at

Agree. Ross was trying to have that head held high look, but came across looking guilty and trying too hard to defend himself.

I've also tried to rationalise the money story as above a few times. I am really surprised that more in the media have not questioned it. Regardless of how long ago the supposed investment was, how was it that he had to sell his house to cover the losses. If he invested in the company and lost, he should still have had his house, unless he had borrowed so heavily to invest in the mining company that he had to sell his house to pay off the loan, maybe a margin loan? Also very hard to feel sorry for someone on a money level who is earning as much as he is. He can get back on track with one year's wages which is equivalent to many years wages for most of us. So bit hard to feel sorry for him on that level. No quick fix for the rest of us, other than winning lotto. His version of lotto is getting a great contract with no conditions....and the team doesn't matter...all about the money.

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

The media have prob been told by Lyin's lawyers to shut up or face defamation re his finances.

But we all know what he is.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
dartos
Club Player

Bigmart have summed it up perfectly for me. Whether he has made incredibly stupid business decision or just rationalizing his decision.

I am sorry to say more and more Ross looks like a very sad individual.

BigMart wrote:
The difference between GT's exit and that of Ross is interesting to look at

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:The difference between GT's exit and that of Ross is interesting to look at

Yep. Ancient history now re GT, but give me someone who loves the club every day of the week.

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

A great observation about the situation.

The body language said it all and his tone was along the lines it was everybody else's fault but his own responsibility. I doubt the story wouldn't have come out later on that week if the backlash from across the AFL hadn't been so swift and strong.

And for me it will all end in tears for Freo, him and his family.