I fully back the board

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Leo.J
SS Life Member

SainterK wrote:
Leo.J wrote:
markp wrote:...Don't we have record membership?...
Most clubs have recorded record memberships over the last few years.

After finishing 2nd for the 2nd year in a row our membership numbers only increased by a few hundred.

As as far as being the most watched or 2nd.

Thats because we played in 2 grand finals in 2 weeks... that stat is pretty irrelevant imo.

2nd most watched for the H&A season would be a good result, btu I'd say we'd be way down the list on that one.
Hadn't though of it that way, but yes, you'd have to say that the GF bumps up the numbers if it's included in the overall views.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/s ... 5860855366

http://news.theage.com.au/breaking-news ... 1dr0c.html

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/r ... 5861078663

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/h ... 6032213004
We were very ugly.

Leo.J
SS Life Member

markp wrote:
SainterK wrote: Anyways back to the topic, what was the difference between 2010 and 2011 members wise, keeping in mind that it was our second GF appearance in a row?
About a thousand, I think.

Not really possible to extrapolate much from that... could be a natural plateau, could be our many 'scandals'... and in any event, it's hardly a significant drop.
If we were talking finance, the resserve bank would be lowering interest rates.

Because that sort of growth is too small considering we should be in a boom...

If I was the treasurer I'd putting the R word out there...

And I'd be looking for some stimulus.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Leo.J wrote:
markp wrote:
SainterK wrote: Anyways back to the topic, what was the difference between 2010 and 2011 members wise, keeping in mind that it was our second GF appearance in a row?

Not really possible to extrapolate much from that... could be a natural plateau, could be our many 'scandals'... and in any event, it's hardly a significant drop.

Ross?

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

barks4eva wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote: If a coach comes to you, with his current win/loss ratio of 1 to 7, and wants a three year extension at increased dollars
At increased dollars,....oh really.....have you been talking with the board?

KEEP IT REAL

For a start do I need to quote Nathan Burke?

2.6 million for four years unconditional

650,000 a year.....does not sound like extra money!

It does however sound like Lyon wanted security for four years without GET OUT CLAUSES knowing he would now have to play kids and regenerate the list!

When the board wanted to put things on hold for their so called "process", it would also seem that Lyon then chose to coach for the now!

You claim a win loss ratio of 1 to 7

At the end of April we were

ONE WIN ONE DRAW AND TWO LOSSES with a BYE!

One of these losses was when Blake had a brain fade in the last 50 seconds and we lost by one point to Geelong!

I have been told by a reliable source that the offer from Lyon to the board came between round three and five!

We had the bye in round four

It does seem reasonable to assume that the contract discussion were during the bye week in April!

So we were actually

ONE DRAW and TWO LOSSES when the offer was made if this information is correct.

If Lyon's offer to the board came later in April then we won our next game!

We were NEVER 1 and 8 or one from 8 at anytime OR 1 to 7 as you wrote

1 win 1 draw 5 losses after 8 with two losses by 1 point and 3 points!

One thing that is consistent though is the sloppy, lazy, ignorant dishing up of codswallop from those who are defending the board's actions!

KEEP IT REAL!
Always an interesting discussion partner B4. :lol:
I have been told by a reliable source that the offer from Lyon to the board came between round three and five!
I have been told from a reliable (to me) source that your Uncle is really your Aunt with added balls.

We can't really confirm either statement, can we?

And as the whole premise of your argument hangs on your reliable source and is totally unconfirmed, I suggest you send a postcard to your Auntie John.

But to move on, If a coach came to me seeking an extension with one win out of seven, one win out of six, or even one win out of five, I would do that coach a favor and suggest that they come back to me with some wins on the park before I discuss any extension. That's called being responsible. Any other approach would be speculative, and you don't gamble with other people's money and expect to live long.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote: But to move on, If a coach came to me seeking an extension with one win out of seven, one win out of six, or even one win out of five, I would do that coach a favor and suggest that they come back to me with some wins on the park before I discuss any extension. That's called being responsible. Any other approach would be speculative, and you don't gamble with other people's money and expect to live long.
That's it in a nutshell Grumps.

I Would suggest that if had become public knowledge back then what he was after, there would have been an uproar of barks4eva like proportions.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

I think we had 36 more members than 2011 so it remained static!

I know losing to the filth in a Grand Final shattered me almost to breaking point and particularly so after having drawn with them!

In 2010 Riewoldt started in career best form and with him getting injured in round 3 or 4 and missing most of the home and away, it was a stellar effort to even make the Grand Final that year and then to have a fickle bounce of the ball cost us a premiership!

Supreme coaching effort with a team with an inferior list to get so close!

One point from winning a premiership.... oh but now the "In Ross we Trust" is Lyon is a dud coach, a liability who we are better off without etc...ETC...ETC...ETC...

It's really FUNNY STUFF!

Now we are blaming Lyon for our poor membership, even though we had a record membership this year!

Please keep it coming, it's highly amusing!

Now we are blaming Lyon for a drop off in sponsorship when I thought that was directly related to the KD thing!

Did the sponsors not drop off at precisely the same time as this overly hyped up scandal??????????

Somehow this is now Ross Lyon's fault!

It's really entertaining, please keep it coming!

I'm sure the KD scandal played a factor in our 2 losses and one draw ( Blake played a huge part in our round one loss with his brain fade ) when Lyon made his offer in April and during the BYE week in round four!

2 losses 1 draw when the offer from Lyon was received

You could put money on that!

Leo.J
SS Life Member

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Leo.J wrote:
markp wrote:

Ross?
No recession...

But Ross is the unmentionable R word at the Saints atm.

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote: If a coach came to me seeking an extension with one win out of seven, one win out of six, or even one win out of five,
Ok so if we forget about my sources reliable info about the offer being made during bye week ROUND FOUR!

We actually won our next game in Round FIVE!

FACTS ARE

The offer was made in April

One of these losses was when Blake had a brain fade in the last 50 seconds and we lost by one point to Geelong!

KEEP IT REAL!

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

satchmo wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote: But to move on, If a coach came to me seeking an extension with one win out of seven, one win out of six, or even one win out of five, I would do that coach a favor and suggest that they come back to me with some wins on the park before I discuss any extension. That's called being responsible. Any other approach would be speculative, and you don't gamble with other people's money and expect to live long.
If you're clueless, I suppose that would sum things up for you, wouldn't it!

Leo.J
SS Life Member

barks4eva wrote:
satchmo wrote:
Lucky you know whats what Barks...

We'd all be stuffed around here without your input and intellect.

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:
satchmo wrote:
No. The clueless just make s*** up, and call it FACT.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Buckets
SS Life Member

barks4eva wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote: If a coach came to me seeking an extension with one win out of seven, one win out of six, or even one win out of five,
Ok so if we forget about my sources reliable info about the offer being made during bye week ROUND FOUR!

FACTS ARE

KEEP IT REAL!

FACT 1

Lyon still had 1 Year REMAINING on his contract with the Saints.

FACT 2

Lyon texted Craig Kelly (His Manager) and Nettlefold at 2:30pm outlining his agreement to the contract! He was happy to have the club call a press conference!

FACT 3

Lyon within 4 hours had accepted a Contract with Fremantle after agreeing to the Saints!

FACT 4

Lyon was a good coach. Not great but GOOD. GREAT COACHES WIN FLAGS!

IMHO
Lyon showed the true character he really was in the last 24 hours of his tenure at the club. Out for number 1. Fine by me, Family is important.

BUT...to try and pin this on the board is a smokescreen so he and Fremantle don't come out looking like the bad guys.

And Barks...If you love the bloke so much...GO JOIN HIM! At least you'll be able to hang out with RIX he is over there after all!

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

Moorabbin Man wrote:When are people on here going to accept that this has been an absolute cluster f**k by our Board. Nathan Burke has effectively come out and admitted it. See Inside Footy article quoted from by B4E in comments above.

In April Lyon made an offer, a reasonable one given his record, which was half of what he ended up getting from Freo. The Board did not have the vision to do the deal, Lyon didn't start rebuilding/refreshing and we lost a fine coach at the peak of his powers.

I reckon even when we are the next Port Adelaide sometime this decade, having won our next wooden spoon, with a mass exodus of players having escaped from Seaford with no one of note wanting to go there, sponsors nowhere to be found and membership struggling to get over $25,000 it would be reasonable to assume that the sheep on here would still not get the drum even with a brass band up them or know the difference between a silk purse and a sows ear!

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

barks4eva wrote:

FACTS ARE

KEEP IT REAL!
And at the completion of round 8 we had only one win on the board.

And that's a fact too.

Really good time for Lyon to enter negotiations.......NOT!.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

satchmo wrote:
barks4eva wrote:
satchmo wrote:
No. The clueless just make s*** up, and call it FACT.

MATE the offer was made in April!

We were never one win and 8 losses, or one win from eight or one from seven or whatever other tripe many keep sprouting and you quote as summing up the situation!

One win one draw and two losses, one by one point with Blakes brain fade at the end of April!

THEY ARE THE FACTS!

You're opinion might be that we should not have signed him up at one win, one draw and two losses...ok, that's you're opinion and obviously the same one shared by the current board!

But for all the ignoramuses on here, AND THERE ARE MANY.... we were never one win and eight losses in April!

We had only played four games by the end of April so it's safe to assume you cannot have lost eight games when you've only played four!

Is this too difficult to understand?

Anyway my tea leaves....I mean sources tell me the offer was made after round three during bye week ROUND FOUR!

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

So you are clearly saying that The Board should have signed him up in April - with the 4 X 750k including $750k upfront component?

Im not having a gof b4e - Im just trying to cut through the lengthy rants and work out what you want to say?

Its totally fair anough if you think that btw.

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:
barks4eva wrote:

FACTS ARE

KEEP IT REAL!
And at the completion of round 8 we had only one win on the board.

And that's a fact too.

Really good time for Lyon to enter negotiations.......NOT!.
The offer came in April!

We had only played FOUR GAMES by the end of April!

I happen to know the offer was made during our BYE week in Round FOUR after we had played THREE GAMES!

YOU DO THE MATHS AND YOU WILL FIND THE SQUARES ARE ROOTED!

bigred
Saintsational Legend

This.

Thread.

Delivers.

And Port Adelaide have won a flag in the past ten years.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Yes they should have resigned him in april......all the players would have thought so also

In lyon's own words

Freo did in 72 hours what stk could not get done in 6 months.....they wanted him more...

markp
Saintsational Legend

Moorabbin Man wrote:When are people on here going to accept that this has been an absolute cluster f**k by our Board. Nathan Burke has effectively come out and admitted it. See Inside Footy article quoted from by B4E in comments above.

In April Lyon made an offer, a reasonable one given his record, which was half of what he ended up getting from Freo. The Board did not have the vision to do the deal, Lyon didn't start rebuilding/refreshing and we lost a fine coach at the peak of his powers.

The Board were too clever by half, clearly demonstrating conservatism to the point of paralysis and profound incompetence. Talk about knee jerk reactions!!!!

Loyalty does not mean that you somehow have to justify their stupidity at all costs, doing so ensures it will all happen again.
Yup.

Given all the events and all the evidence we have, I reckon your summation is the most logical.

It's a f**k up, that somehow people feel obliged to pretend aint.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:Personally, I reckon it's a great outcome though. I actually haven't been this excited about the club and the footy in general for some time.
No coach and an ever diminishing/all in the balance glimmer of being a contender again anytime soon... good times.
But that's the same situation we were in only 4 years ago - and we had a board spill just over the horizon too!

Anyway, I'm not telling other people they should be excited. It's just that I am!

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:So you are clearly saying that The Board should have signed him up in April - with the 4 X 750k including $750k upfront component?

Im not having a gof b4e - Im just trying to cut through the lengthy rants and work out what you want to say?

Good question. Barks?

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote: I guess the part I differ a little to Johnny, is that I don't believe the board should ever tell the football department what style of footy to play.
I don't think the board should either - it's just that in this case I think they were correct!

The end justified the means!

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:So you are clearly saying that The Board should have signed him up in April - with the 4 X 750k including $750k upfront component?

Where did you get that figure from?

Please explain how you arrived at $750,000??????????

NATHAN BURKE
And as you would expect, when the request of a four-year $2.6 million unconditional contract was received, the board wanted to consider it carefully.

By my calculations that adds up to $650,000 per year!

End Of An Era
Club Player

We were debt free when this board took over. After 3 GF's and 2 top 8 finishes we still haven't won a flag and more disastrously are now back into serious debt. So if it is all the same to you, I will not back in this board. They have failed miserably IMHO.