The Saints have just appointed a new senior coach (rumour)

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bennymac5
Club Player

Re: The Saints have just appointed a new senior coach

[quote="SaintPav"][quote="End Of An Era"][quote="saintsrus"][quote="End Of An Era"]Great choice if true though. Ayresy has done the hard yards and is desperate for a gig. Perfect fit at the Saints IMHO.[/quote]

I cant believe they let you near a computer unsupervised[/quote]
Why is that saintsrus? Is it because you think that I'm Lieing? Or do you think Gary Ayres is a bad choice? Hmmm, lets see. He played in at least 3 or 4 premierships with Hawthorn. He coached Geelong to a Grand Final. He went on and coached Adelaide. He has now coach Port Melbourne to a perfect season. Obviously he is desperate to get a coaching gig in the AFL again. I reckon he would be a perfect fit for the Saints. Would you rather get an untried Assistant coach again? Is that it?[/quote]

Having fun?[/quote]
So because he was a good player, inherited a great side and didn't get the best out of them, coached Adelaide to no grand finals and won a VFL Grand final, he would be a perfect fit.

HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

A stunned mullet???

They walk amongst us...

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

HSVKing wrote:Image

A stunned mullet???
:lol:

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

If Ayres is on the radar, he will have to do a presentation to show what he can bring to the club. Experience as a player and/or coach is not enough on it's own, and he has had limited success in his coaching gigs.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
End Of An Era
Club Player

bennymac5 wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
End Of An Era wrote:
saintsrus wrote:
End Of An Era wrote:Great choice if true though. Ayresy has done the hard yards and is desperate for a gig. Perfect fit at the Saints IMHO.
I cant believe they let you near a computer unsupervised
Why is that saintsrus? Is it because you think that I'm Lieing? Or do you think Gary Ayres is a bad choice? Hmmm, lets see. He played in at least 3 or 4 premierships with Hawthorn. He coached Geelong to a Grand Final. He went on and coached Adelaide. He has now coach Port Melbourne to a perfect season. Obviously he is desperate to get a coaching gig in the AFL again. I reckon he would be a perfect fit for the Saints. Would you rather get an untried Assistant coach again? Is that it?
Having fun?
So because he was a good player, inherited a great side and didn't get the best out of them, coached Adelaide to no grand finals and won a VFL Grand final, he would be a perfect fit.
I think so, yes. Successful background, has a heap of experience and is a good communicator. What else is needed in a coach?

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend

End Of An Era wrote:
bennymac5 wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
End Of An Era wrote:
saintsrus wrote:
End Of An Era wrote:Great choice if true though. Ayresy has done the hard yards and is desperate for a gig. Perfect fit at the Saints IMHO.
Why is that saintsrus? Is it because you think that I'm Lieing? Or do you think Gary Ayres is a bad choice? Hmmm, lets see. He played in at least 3 or 4 premierships with Hawthorn. He coached Geelong to a Grand Final. He went on and coached Adelaide. He has now coach Port Melbourne to a perfect season. Obviously he is desperate to get a coaching gig in the AFL again. I reckon he would be a perfect fit for the Saints. Would you rather get an untried Assistant coach again? Is that it?
Having fun?
I think so, yes. Successful background, has a heap of experience and is a good communicator. What else is needed in a coach?
The ability to prepare, nuture and encourage a goup of players to play beyond their talent ceiling.

Where has Ayres achieved that?

End Of An Era
Club Player

GrumpyOne wrote:
End Of An Era wrote:
bennymac5 wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
End Of An Era wrote:
saintsrus wrote:
Having fun?
The ability to prepare, nuture and encourage a goup of players to play beyond their talent ceiling.

Where has Ayres achieved that?
He achieved the perfect season with Port Melbourne. A stand alone club, ie, no AFL listed players to bolster the playing stocks. A true VFA side that took on and beat all the odds in the best second tier competition in Australia.

Leo.J
SS Life Member

Ayres played in 8 grand finals, and won 5 of them.

His overall winning % as a coach is 54%.

1 losing GF.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Leo.J wrote:Ayres played in 8 grand finals, and won 5 of them.

1 losing GF.
Yes, but that GF doesn't mean much all things considered. The team he took over had the lost the previous GF as well. And it was aeons ago.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:If Ayres is on the radar, he will have to do a presentation to show what he can bring to the club. Experience as a player and/or coach is not enough on it's own, and he has had limited success in his coaching gigs.
If I were Ayres id roll in with a DVD of the last quarter of yesterdays game, when that ends id ask "When do I start?"

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

GrumpyOne commented :
If Ayres is on the radar, he will have to do a presentation to show what he can bring to the club. Experience as a player and/or coach is not enough on it's own, and he has had limited success in his coaching gigs.
Totally agree. As I also posted previously, let the process takes its course FFS. If he is asked to present and if he gets through, then we can all get behind him and support him, as I think that the Coaching Panel looks pretty well structured.

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Thread title is a lie.

Delete thread.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend

Hurricane wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:If Ayres is on the radar, he will have to do a presentation to show what he can bring to the club. Experience as a player and/or coach is not enough on it's own, and he has had limited success in his coaching gigs.
If I were Ayres id roll in with a DVD of the last quarter of yesterdays game, when that ends id ask "When do I start?"

BANG BANG
Port is a cashed up club with players fighting for their footy future. I'd be more impressed with what he could achieve with say Frankston.

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

satchmo wrote:Thread title is a lie.

Delete thread.
agree, and delete the fool who started it

I love this club
Leo.J
SS Life Member

meher baba wrote:
Leo.J wrote:Ayres played in 8 grand finals, and won 5 of them.

1 losing GF.
Yes, but that GF doesn't mean much all things considered. The team he took over had the lost the previous GF as well. And it was aeons ago.
I agree, just putting his stats out there.

saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

Ayres was interviewed on SEN 5 mins ago and was asked if Nettlefold had contacted him, he replied "I wish" and implied that it wouldnt happen.
He would have no reason to lie at this stage of the season

Before Im 85
spert
Saintsational Legend

saintsrus wrote:Ayres was interviewed on SEN 5 mins ago and was asked if Nettlefold had contacted him, he replied "I wish" and implied that it wouldnt happen.
In coach talk, I wish means he has, but dont tell anybody!

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend

saintsrus wrote:Ayres was interviewed on SEN 5 mins ago and was asked if Nettlefold had contacted him, he replied "I wish" and implied that it wouldnt happen.
If I was a VFL coach, and wanted to coach in the AFL real soon, I wouldn't be waiting for a phone call....... I'd be ringing hourly.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:
or I wish means - No- not yet
No wont happen
no don't think it;s likely

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
degruch
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:
We'd hire someone before interviewing some of the top runners? Surely we wouldn't have interviewed Watters at this stage. I reckon Gary would be lucky to get a call up, let alone the gig. I'm assuming, for some reason, he has been interviewed?

Sainterman
Club Player

What a load of crap from a poster who joined on Sept 14 2011. Off timing for our friend End of an Era. Suffice to say this tip off is based on nothing. Not really even worth discussing.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

He would be my 5th choice

And the top 3 are very unlikely.......

I maintain we need an experinced senior coach, not an untried.....

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:
Hurricane wrote:

BANG BANG
Port is a cashed up club with players fighting for their footy future. I'd be more impressed with what he could achieve with say Frankston.
You could say the same for Williamstown.

They have an AFL allignment (and the money is brings), Port dont

They had 15 AFL listed players trying to impress a new Western Bulldogs coach, Port didnt

What I saw was a well drilled, skillful and (best of all) passionate side willing to do whatever it takes for the jumper on their back.

We need that. I want that. IMHO Ayres can bring us that

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
End Of An Era
Club Player

Sainterman wrote:What a load of crap from a poster who joined on Sept 14 2011. Off timing for our friend End of an Era. Suffice to say this tip off is based on nothing. Not really even worth discussing.
You really have no idea do you Sainterman? Absolutely none, zilcth, zero.

End Of An Era
Club Player

Hurricane wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:
Hurricane wrote:

BANG BANG
You could say the same for Williamstown.

They have an AFL allignment (and the money is brings), Port dont

They had 15 AFL listed players trying to impress a new Western Bulldogs coach, Port didnt

What I saw was a well drilled, skillful and (best of all) passionate side willing to do whatever it takes for the jumper on their back.

We need that. I want that. IMHO Ayres can bring us that

BANG BANG
Perfectly put Hurricane!!!!