Melbourne's offer to RL !!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Melbourne's offer to RL !!

A reliable source tells me that Melbourne DID have a real crack at RL and that they too were told to put their offer to his solicitor and NOT Craig Kelly. It is believed that the Melbourne offer was slightly better than the St Kilda offer and the ONLY thing that stalled the deal was RL's insistance that $1.5Mill of the deal be paid "UP FRONT". Freo, who had been working in the background for several weeks then raised their bid, including the UP FRONT component from $750,000 to $1.5Mill !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

This is in Caro's article today hidden down the bottom....
Several days after Ross Lyon quit St Kilda and it emerged he had been negotiating with not one but two AFL clubs,

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/l ... z1YplzB4TR

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I definitely believe this.

The big issue was the 1.5 upfront to gain immediate financial relief.
We know he had big losses. But maybe there debts to friends etc etc.

There is a very good chance lyon would have not told the sains this due to pride and not wanting to lose face.

The players and the fans have to stop blaming the board for letting him get away. This was a highly unusual set of circs. For better or worse he was selling himself to the highest bidder.

Saints are going to be fine.

Rosco
Club Player

stkildathunda wrote:This is in Caro's article today hidden down the bottom....
Several days after Ross Lyon quit St Kilda and it emerged he had been negotiating with not one but two AFL clubs,

i think the two clubs she is referring to are st kilda and freo.
After investigating what actually went on between Lyon and St Kilda and Fremantle, the more realistic conclusion is that football was not catching up with any other sport. It was in fact being dragged down.

noob
Club Player

were told ? who said that

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I do find it strange that Misson has gone there, at some point, perhaps they were moving as a team?

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

I've been told he had all but accepted Melbournes offer. Freo countered and gave him the night to think about it.

Our mate Kim from SportsNewsFirst may in fact been right.

We only know what happened behind the scene of what offer he accepted... Imagine all the wheeling and dealing that tool place that nobody still know about.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

He is going to be hounded for long time yet by the media. They will be like a junk yard dog in a butcher shop.

What he did was very unAustralian and just like Jools he will be hounded into the ground.

To the top
SS Life Member

As I understand it - correct.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

You don't do deals of this nature "overnight."

I earlier posted elsewhere that there were talks going, possibly back to when Freo played us in Melbourne.

No info at all on the Melbourne offer.

spert
Saintsational Legend

I suspect RL had a big financial issue to resolve and whoever had the requested money up-front, and could drop it ASAP in his bank account or his solicitor's trust fund, got him as coach immediately, regardless of prior discussions, negotiations etc. I also suspect his motivation for getting a premiership was purely for the personal financial flow-on, and as we didn't acheive a premiership, then RL's money radar would have been well and truely switched on come the start of 2011.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Junction Oval wrote:You don't do deals of this nature "overnight."

I earlier posted elsewhere that there were talks going, possibly back to when Freo played us in Melbourne.

No info at all on the Melbourne offer.
Yep, as mentioned before, I cannot believe it wasn't known to someone that he was putting it about. The give-away being that no-one could possibly swing such a huge deal overnight, especially behind their management's back. If people on here don't believe the board was deceived (despite the spin), I'd like to know how they define deception!

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Who is saying that it was done overnight?

Talks, discussions were done for a while...

Doesnt take long to upgrade an offer for someone you really want.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:Who is saying that it was done overnight?
Some bloke call Ross Lion, and some guys called Fremental, or something.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

I'm shocked this hasn't already been brought up previously but....

Considering his ability, what he is going to give to Freo and how much he is being paid - an adequate compensation under AFL rules should be two first round draft picks, shouldn't it? 8-)

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
GoTheTorp
Club Player

SainterK wrote:I do find it strange that Misson has gone there, at some point, perhaps they were moving as a team?
Correct

stinger
Saintsational Legend

stkildathunda wrote:This is in Caro's article today hidden down the bottom....

interesting article...

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
ThomasR
Club Player

SainterK wrote:I do find it strange that Misson has gone there, at some point, perhaps they were moving as a team?
Misson went because Melbourne offered him a 4 year deal at double the money. He had been asking for a new contract from the Saints for 6 months and nothing was forthcoming.. sound familiar?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

ThomasR wrote:
Misson went because Melbourne offered him a 4 year deal at double the money. He had been asking for a new contract from the Saints for 6 months and nothing was forthcoming.. sound familiar?
According to Nettelfold, Misson was contracted. It sounds familiar If you believe Lyon's version of events.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saintly
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:He is going to be hounded for long time yet by the media. They will be like a junk yard dog in a butcher shop.

What he did was very unAustralian and just like Jools he will be hounded into the ground.
unfortunately, as soon as he starts winning games, and get the freo side in to finals. all will be forgotton by nearly everyone except the saints fans.

and if the win the grandfinal they will bow down to him and think he is the greatest thing since sliced bread!

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

ThomasR wrote:
intersting Neeld obviusly had some provisos in going too
The result of that, he said, was snaring a ''world-class head of sports science'' - David Misson from St Kilda - and getting board permission to expand the Demons' coaching panel to eight full-time positions from next season, which ''stacks up very well with the best clubs''.

Neeld vowed he, Misson and the rest of the Demons' coaching and fitness departments would provide the players with ''an elite-level program'' that would require them to ''work bloody hard'' from when they return from annual leave on October 31
Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/d ... z1YvJA0Zdw

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:He is going to be hounded for long time yet by the media. They will be like a junk yard dog in a butcher shop.

unfortunately, as soon as he starts winning games, and get the freo side in to finals. all will be forgotton by nearly everyone except the saints fans.

and if the win the grandfinal they will bow down to him and think he is the greatest thing since sliced bread!
you've gotta be kidding...if freo win a GF with Lyon at the helm, I'll donate my knOb to the next 'Piranha' sequel.

In a feel good interview where Rossco is wearing his new Freo poloshirt, he tries to convince us that he values loyalty and that he understands how some of the Dockers fans were upset with the treatment of Mark Harvey. Lyon said he believes its an important part of 'humanity'...The media crucified Harvey for resting a heap of his stars when he needed to and for his attitude when the Dockers finals chances had been buried this year. I wonder if Lyon will cop the same sort of humanity and understanding from the Dockers board when he starts coming up with excuses..

I noticed in the interview that Lyon came up with his first excuse which I'm sure the media will be hearing a lot more of; 'We need to have a private jet shared between the two WA teams...etc.'

We'll be better off without Rossco.