We had a crack, now it's time to 'Rebuild'.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

End Of An Era
Club Player

We had a crack, now it's time to 'Rebuild'.

The only problem is that everyone's perspective of a 'Rebuild' is so very different. Some would say, 'Rebuild' means cut a few oldies, trade one player who has currency, recruit 2 youngsters plus recycle one player from the National Draft. Then, if there are any spots left to fill on the senior list we could elevate a rookie and possibly pick up another player in the Pre-Season Draft.

Why would we go down this path again? How many times has St Kilda tried the above? I feel it is time to think outside the square. It is time for St Kilda to be bold and try something new.

I would like to propose the following Blueprint that I believe will deliver St Kilda a premiership within 10 years. There will be initial pain, no doubt about it, but when you consider that our club has ‘won’ 26 wooden spoons, this pain pales into insignificance.

Proposed Blueprint

Move all our home games against Victorian teams to the MCG. Apart from the fact we are being ripped off at ETIHAD Stadium, my main reason for this is that FINALS and especially GRAND FINALS are played at the ‘G. We need our players to have as much exposure to the ground as possible. The fact that we have played only 1 or 2 games there each Home and Away season over the last few years is totally ridiculous. By all means, play the non-Victorian teams at Docklands but the rest of our home games must be played at the home of football. The ideal breakup of our “Homeâ€

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Re: We had a crack, now it's time to 'Rebuild'.

[quote="End Of An Era"]The only problem is that everyone's perspective of a 'Rebuild' is so very different. Some would say, 'Rebuild' means cut a few oldies, trade one player who has currency, recruit 2 youngsters plus recycle one player from the National Draft. Then, if there are any spots left to fill on the senior list we could elevate a rookie and possibly pick up another player in the Pre-Season Draft.

Why would we go down this path again? How many times has St Kilda tried the above? I feel it is time to think outside the square. It is time for St Kilda to be bold and try something new.

I would like to propose the following Blueprint that I believe will deliver St Kilda a premiership within 10 years. There will be initial pain, no doubt about it, but when you consider that our club has ‘won’ 26 wooden spoons, this pain pales into insignificance.

Proposed Blueprint

Move all our home games against Victorian teams to the MCG. Apart from the fact we are being ripped off at ETIHAD Stadium, my main reason for this is that FINALS and especially GRAND FINALS are played at the ‘G. We need our players to have as much exposure to the ground as possible. The fact that we have played only 1 or 2 games there each Home and Away season over the last few years is totally ridiculous. By all means, play the non-Victorian teams at Docklands but the rest of our home games must be played at the home of football. The ideal breakup of our “Homeâ€

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
ThePunter
Club Player

NH, right?

SaintSimmo
Club Player

:shock:

Sainter for life.
End Of An Era
Club Player

Re: We had a crack, now it's time to 'Rebuild'.

[quote="SaintPav"][quote="End Of An Era"]The only problem is that everyone's perspective of a 'Rebuild' is so very different. Some would say, 'Rebuild' means cut a few oldies, trade one player who has currency, recruit 2 youngsters plus recycle one player from the National Draft. Then, if there are any spots left to fill on the senior list we could elevate a rookie and possibly pick up another player in the Pre-Season Draft.

Proposed Blueprint

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

Unequivocally agree with the first point, I don't think that will happen for some time though. No way The AFL wants us away from Etihad and ESPECIALLY if we were to play at the MCG.

I would love that though.

Not sure about the second part though. It doesn't hurt to have a few players over 26 in the side. But agree with culling a majority of the cloggers.

So I have to say, great post and I agree with pretty much all of it!

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

It's not that simple

We do need to tweak our list, that's obvious

Trade a few during draft week

Pick up a gun, maybe Gaff (dreaming I know)

A couple of the new brigade will hopefully do well (Cripps, Siposs, Ledger etc)

And we have a totally different (and younger) team

There's no reason why we cannot remain competitive and at least play finals next year

Almost forgot - ENTER THE WALSH

Will go close to a flag next year 8-)

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Some of the comic threads on here are getting a little difficult to distinguish from the serious ones, or vice versa.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Joffa 5
Club Player

ThePunter wrote:NH, right?
I would say so

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

ThePunter wrote:NH, right?
Have to be surely - 'Rebuild' 'Blueprint' :shock:

No Contract, No contact :shock:
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Well that is it then. Do what EOE says and we win the flag. Luckily Lenny has a contract or he could be out. And of course everyone will want our players so no one will be older than 26 by 2013. Its obvious. I hope one of now 24 year olds dont improve to become one of the best players in the AFL because we will be getting rid of him.

End Of An Era
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:Well that is it then. Do what EOE says and we win the flag. Luckily Lenny has a contract or he could be out. And of course everyone will want our players so no one will be older than 26 by 2013. Its obvious. I hope one of now 24 year olds dont improve to become one of the best players in the AFL because we will be getting rid of him.
Not funny Plugger. Obviously if one of our 24 year olds become stars they will be contracted. If you read my post properly, it says "Contract Permitting".
Also, if they are good and they are over 26 and contract permitting, we then get another high draft pick. And that's the point of this 3 year scenario. We end up with a young list of high draft picks matureing at the same time. Just like Gold Coast and Western Sydney.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

but no experienced wiser heads to guide the youth?
pretty sure gws will be looking at a few senior players.
you need a blend and you pick a team on ability, not age.
as for home games at the mcg - not going to happen - the afl needs bunnies like us to pay off their stadium.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
End Of An Era
Club Player

desertsaint wrote:but no experienced wiser heads to guide the youth?
as for home games at the mcg - not going to happen - the afl needs bunnies like us to pay off their stadium.
26 year olds have 8 or 9 years experience. How experienced do you want your players to be?

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

End Of An Era wrote:
26 year olds have 8 or 9 years experience. How experienced do you want your players to be?
what? all our 26 year olds will have 8 or 9 years of experience
all our 25s will have 7 or 8,
all our 24s will have 6 or 7
all our 23s will have 5 pr 6
23s will have 4 or 5
22s will have 3 or 4
21s will have 2 or 3
20s will have 1 or 2

what an unbelievably fortunate turn of events.
and pray tell what happens when our 26 year olds turn 27?
does the system come crashing down or do we exit them too?

End Of An Era
Club Player

desertsaint wrote:
End Of An Era wrote:
23s will have 4 or 5
22s will have 3 or 4
21s will have 2 or 3
20s will have 1 or 2

If you read the OP it says 3 year scenario :shock:

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

So we tank.....that is the plan

Might work, history suggest it is no gaurantee

Worked once for hawthorn

Didnt work for us

And hasent worked for melb, carl, rich, wce yet..

The top up has worked also....for sydney....but failed too

Rosco
Club Player

club has already said it wants to play home games at the mcg. we have no current etihad contract. FIXturing is up to the AFL. the club doesn't decide, can only indicate a preference (which they have done).

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

End Of An Era wrote:
desertsaint wrote:
End Of An Era wrote:
23s will have 4 or 5
22s will have 3 or 4
21s will have 2 or 3
20s will have 1 or 2

If you read the OP it says 3 year scenario :shock:
exactly the point - who are these young players on our list with so much experience? who are these potential trades with so much experience and how in the heck could we get them?

matrix
Saintsational Legend

i can hear dan warming the spade up.....