Robert Shaw

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

Robert Shaw

Have always rated his footy smarts listening to his analysis on SEN.. he was virtually coaching Essendon under Sheedy ..and previously coached Fitzroy and Adelaide back in the early 90's..would be an interesting choice as an assistant..probably not on the radar but would be good value IMO

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Not trying to derail your thread here Pat, but just out of interest, are there any 'failed' coaches that have faded from the senior coaching scene, and then gone on to coach successfully?

I'm seeing the likes of Shaw, Wallace, Ayers being brought up, but I can't think of anyone who's belatedly rebounded to become a coaching legend.

saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:Not trying to derail your thread here Pat, but just out of interest, are there any 'failed' coaches that have faded from the senior coaching scene, and then gone on to coach successfully?

I'm seeing the likes of Shaw, Wallace, Ayers being brought up, but I can't think of anyone who's belatedly rebounded to become a coaching legend.
Seem to remember a guy called Malthouse who took Collingwood to 2 successive grand final losses in 03,04..should have be axed there and then ; 8-)

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
degruch
Saintsational Legend

saint patrick wrote:
degruch wrote:Not trying to derail your thread here Pat, but just out of interest, are there any 'failed' coaches that have faded from the senior coaching scene, and then gone on to coach successfully?

Seem to remember a guy called Malthouse who took Collingwood to 2 successive grand final losses in 03,04..should have be axed there and then ; 8-)
Yeah, but he coached continuously, and already had form. Blight dug himself out after a bad start, but also coached continuously. I can't think of anyone who coached for a few years, disappeared, then came back successfully (or even unsuccessfully)...once they've had their shot, they're generally gone. Shaw, like Ayers, never really got his players on side...both struggled with the yokel supporters too.

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

This thread is really clutching at straws. Sorry to give it oxygen

Another opportunity awaits!
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Moccha wrote:This thread is really clutching at straws. Sorry to give it oxygen
Clutching at Shaws...boom tish!

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
These names aren't being brought up by anyone who has anything to do with
replacing the lyin snake......i'd just ignore the tosh.....and wait for the appointment

The list changes for 2025 have begun, always an interesting time for an avid supporter.
degruch
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:
degruch wrote:
These names aren't being brought up by anyone who has anything to do with
replacing the lyin snake......i'd just ignore the tosh.....and wait for the appointment
I know, but it's an interesting point...any coach ever vanish off the scene for 5 years and come back to be successful? I don't think anyone ever has...you stay in the game, or vanish (at very best an assistant coach).

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Coach Robert Shaw talks strategy with his new players.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Ever heard of Alan Killigrew?
Coached the Saints from 1956 to 1958, then coached North Melbourne from 1964 to 1966 and Coached Victoria in the 1966 Carnival.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:

Coached the Saints from 1956 to 1958, then coached North Melbourne from 1964 to 1966 and Coached Victoria in the 1966 Carnival.
Alan Killigrew, what's he got to do with St Kilda? OK, so there is one who made a comeback...8th, 9th, 7th, is hardly successful though.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Hey! I love listening to Robert Shaw on SEN. I love listening to Terry Wallace too! BUT its all well and good to say all the right things on a stupid radio programme where nobody is going to call for you to be sacked if you get it wrong! These blokes have done it ...and got the arse! I would love to see us going for someone like Leon Cameron!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Robert Shaw to his players before the BIG game.....................................
"farewell and adieu to you fair spanish ladies, Farewell and adieu to you ladies of spain"!!!!!

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:

Alan Killigrew, what's he got to do with St Kilda? OK, so there is one who made a comeback...8th, 9th, 7th, is hardly successful though.
Who said this? "I can't think of anyone who coached for a few years, disappeared, then came back successfully (or even unsuccessfully)...once they've had their shot, they're generally gone."

You didn't ask if they were successful, you asked if they became a legend, and Alan Killigrew is a legend. I actually went to school with his son.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
degruch wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:

Who said this? "I can't think of anyone who coached for a few years, disappeared, then came back successfully (or even unsuccessfully)...once they've had their shot, they're generally gone."

You didn't ask if they were successful, you asked if they became a legend, and Alan Killigrew is a legend. I actually went to school with his son.
I did say successfully, but I was interested to know if EVER. There's one so far, thanks! If you're thinking you've won some kind of duel (that's the Zac Dawson thread), I'm sorry to inform you, but I actually only asking a question.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Fare well and adieu to you fair spanish ladies...fare well and adieu to you ladies of spain.......

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:
degruch wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:

I did say successfully, but I was interested to know if EVER. There's one so far, thanks! If you're thinking you've won some kind of duel (that's the Zac Dawson thread), I'm sorry to inform you, but I actually only asking a question.
Well Killa was successful at North in that he won two night premierships and Victoria was unbeaten in the 1966 carnival.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
degruch wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:
degruch wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:

Well Killa was successful at North in that he won two night premierships and Victoria was unbeaten in the 1966 carnival.
Interesting that someone who was somewhat responsible for the resurgence of the club, was actually coaching against us in our Premiership year! Cheers Bernard, nice to lean new stuff about the club...I never knew Killigrew continued after the Saints, before my time.

kalsaint
Club Player

Bernard Shakey wrote:

Yabby Jeans also comes to mind.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
bozza1980
Club Player

kalsaint wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:

Yabby Jeans also comes to mind.
Malcolm Blight fits the criteria, sacked at North (1981 as playing coach mind you), break, coached Geelong (1989-1994) without the ultimate success, break coached Adelaide (1997-1999) to back to back flags.

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friends.
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Killa was one of the Saints better coaches too. He turned us around from been the laughing stock of the AFL to a good team.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Leigh Matthews

Left collingwood

Went to the media

Back to coaching

matrix
Saintsational Legend

put his name in the ring has he????

i dont think so

but lets chase him anyway :shock:

VERDUN
Club Player

don't know how his name has been thrown up but i reckon he is good - smart operator - but he hasn't been coaching for a while

plus he is Tasmanian (coached Tas in a sensational win against the vics at North Hobart)

Spent yesterday with my best mate who is a filth supporter and he kept asking me when why are we after their coach aaaaggh - hope we get the coach sorted sooner than later even though I know it will take some time to get the right person

damn it seems longer than a year since we were preparing for the gf - think we still have a good list just need some stability, kids playing with support, confidence, positive game plan and some support for roo in the forward line and Lenny back!!!!!

Go Saints

Bowey Boy
Club Player

Sainternist wrote:Image

Coach Robert Shaw talks strategy with his new players.
I think he was better in From Russia With Love :wink:

"I think, 'You kick a footy mate, you kick a footy. It's not like you've got a cure for cancer. You kick a footy, stop thinking you are so special'." - Samantha Black