Did we still have a chance at a flag?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

Did we still have a chance at a flag?

I would like to know everyone's thoughts on.....

If you thought Ross Lyon could lead the St Kilda FC to a premiership in the next four years? And if so what needed to change?

Personally I'm torn part of me thinks he got everything out of this playing group that he could. Another part of me thinks he is a gun coach and with some tweaks we had a serious chance.

PLEASE do not make this about the way he left or whose fault it is that he is gone.

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
True Blue Sainter
Club Player

I'm not sure he could have.

It seemed his views were becoming a bit stale. The steady drop off on performances from 09-11 are indicative of that IMO. His game style got us very close, but it can't anymore.

The Saints are coming!
saintlee
Club Player

RL was a great coach, but our best players are getting on now and we don't have enough quality youth coming through....so no, I don't think we had a genuine chance in 2012

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

the guy was an a-hole. 4 blokes under 25 in our finals team.
massive indictment on the bloke as a player developer.

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:the guy was an a-hole. 4 blokes under 25 in our finals team.
massive indictment on the bloke as a player developer.
So is that a no then?

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

The one eyed fan and eternal optimist in me says an injection of youth, a new coach with fresh ideas and a focused well rested and prepared team without the albatross of 3 failed flag tilts says that HELL YEAH we still have a shot

The pessamist in me.............can bugger off.

I think we are a decent shot next year

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
Grantaire
Opposition Fan

In the short term (i.e. one or two years)- not a chance. I thought you guys were well and truly beaten after the GF replay last year, and all the off-season crap added to it. Very hard to get back up there for a third tilt, especially considering the circumstances of the 2009 loss.

Whether he could have had a mini-rebuild to be ready for a tilt in, say, 2015- well, perhaps he could but developing youngsters doesn't seem to be his strong suit. And by 2015 GCS and GWS will be looking scary good.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

True Blue Sainter wrote:I'm not sure he could have.

It seemed his views were becoming a bit stale. The steady drop off on performances from 09-11 are indicative of that IMO. His game style got us very close, but it can't anymore.
I think he was probably at the point where his message was becoming tired after showing no result. The whole place had a certain fatalistic air of heaviness about it. Clearing the decks may make us a better chance of holding our own as a team long term. The way he did it was inexcusable but it may be the best thing all round.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

My heart says yes, my ( non football) theorising is that this team has a very good core-- Ok I'm taking Bj's words.

and maybe I am just listening to the ones that support my feelings
or maybe they are still working on shock reaction..

BUT many former coaches, , footbalers, list lookers are saying yes still very much there abouts

Future stars on sunday are doing one of the numerous assessments of the team on Sunday

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Not with the lyin fag but with a new coach, some injection of youth and a positive game plan we are a chance to win the next 2-3 flags.

Our core group of players are as good as any going around (when fit and in form).

Don't you worry about that!!

Booyea!!!

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Well consider this, we only have one player under 25 who would be considered by any other club and that is Ben McEvoy.
However, next year is it for this current crop of players I believe, it's all or nothing.
What we would require would be for a Stanley, Walsh Cripps and Ledger to have breakout years and improve our depth.
Whoever the new coach is, jst hope he breaks out the footballs and focuses on skills, skills, skills.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

No we cant. Wished Ross wanted to stay as he is a very good coach but oh well.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Well if you listened to Terry Wallace ( whatever you think about him ), on SEN this arvo he reckons we have 2 years with a good chance.

markp
Saintsational Legend

I reckon we had one last shot at it next year... now that is dependant on many more factors, and much less likely.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote:Well if you listened to Terry Wallace ( whatever you think about him ), on SEN this arvo he reckons we have 2 years with a good chance.
Is he trying to get a job at the Saints...

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
tony74 wrote:Well if you listened to Terry Wallace ( whatever you think about him ), on SEN this arvo he reckons we have 2 years with a good chance.
I agree with Wallace, but like markp I reckon we are longer oddsnow that Ross has gone. But that could turn around again (as it has for the Cats this year). We'll know more after a few rounds in 2012.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
I agree with Wallace, but like markp I reckon we are longer oddsnow that Ross has gone. But that could turn around again (as it has for the Cats this year). We'll know more after a few rounds in 2012.
Cats havent turned much around at all. We have to go from 12 wins to 16 to at least be a chance. Going to be very hard with some up and coming sides. A slight chance for top 4 but more likely botttom of the 8 or just miss the finals. Eagles give us some hope but most sides who drop down at the age of our stars dont come back. One thing I do know is if we miss the finals next year the run is over and it is a full rebuild.

wolfpup
Club Player

just as a reply to the op

i think of COURSE we are a chance for a flag in the next 2 years,

we will finish top 4 next year

if melb, richmond, bulldogs, north, etc didnt fall away like skittles in the last 6-8 rounds the top 8 would have been quite different (bar geelong and collingwood), strange year 2011 as we lost our close games (games we normally won), we played gold coast and port adelaide only once.

i dont get this sky is falling doom and gloom, i am extremely positive about the next 2 years, if somehow we get 2xgws and 2xgc games in 2012, that should help us along as well

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Absolutely.

The shackles are off their feet, now they can dance. :wink:

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Yes

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
meher baba wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
Cats havent turned much around at all. We have to go from 12 wins to 16 to at least be a chance. Going to be very hard with some up and coming sides. A slight chance for top 4 but more likely botttom of the 8 or just miss the finals. Eagles give us some hope but most sides who drop down at the
age of our stars dont come back. One thing I do know is if we miss the
finals next year the run is over and it is a full rebuild.
Cats had to turn around losing both their coach and their star player. We don't necessarily have to win more than 12 games if we can make a show of it in the finals. With Lenny and Gwilt to come back in, we could be stronger by the finals than at the start of the season. And stronger still in 2013. After that, I agree, we'll need a few years to rebuild.

And I'm not saying we'll win or even be anything than an outside chance. But I think I can guarantee that, if we manage to finish 6th again or higher after the home and away, and barring any more diastrous injuries, we'll make a much better show in the finals than we did this year.
Last edited by meher baba on Thu 22 Sep 2011 8:45pm, edited 1 time in total.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Absolutely.

Funny you never mentioned that was a problem before. We logically cant win the flag next year. Illogically we can.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Funny you never mentioned that was a problem before. We logically cant win the flag next year. Illogically we can.
Do you know what :wink: means?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Do you know what :wink: means?
It means wink.

BakesFan
SS Life Member

Still right in the mix for the next two seasons.