What Players Will Benefit Now?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
degruch wrote:
SaintPav wrote:We lost a great match day coach.
You know...I'm not sure we did. In the end he seemed to take too long to react and make positional changes, then blame errors at the selection table.

I do agree he was an excellent coach though, and quite obviously one who wasn't keen on a rebuild. As a person though...good riddance to bad rubbish.
A 63% win ratio and the ability to change games from the box tells me he was a very good match day coach.
Further, making positional moves to get you back into games is overated and usually doesn't work. How many moves can a coach pull anyway?

Having said that, the way he re jigged the team to get us back into GF one was pretty good.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
degruch
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
degruch wrote:
You know...I'm not sure we did. In the end he seemed to take too long to react and make positional changes, then blame errors at the selection table.

I do agree he was an excellent coach though, and quite obviously one who wasn't keen on a rebuild. As a person though...good riddance to bad rubbish.
A 63% win ratio and the ability to change games from the box tells me he was a very good match day coach.
Further, making positional moves to get you back into games is overated and usually doesn't work. How many moves can a coach pull anyway?

Having said that, the way he re jigged the team to get us back into GF one was pretty good.
Gilbert forward, twice in a row...I guess nothing was going to save us in GF2 though. Anyways, we could find good and bad examples all day, but Ross finished poorly as a match day coach. Has a nice overrall record though.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
degruch wrote:

Yeah, too simple to look at a braod stat from the last 5 years...his last 6 weeks was not great. Carlton, Collingwood and Sydney games in particular, he was slow as a wet week...I missed the others, and the North game we won due to some brilliant individual performances from players RL admitted he does not try to 'coach'.

Blaming the selection panel for taking 2 quarters to address Ryan O'Keefe running amok...ran out of tricks, or just didn't care any more?
I said that he was a very good match day coach. I never said that he was perfect. Are you sure we lost those particular games becuase of his coaching? Anyway, they belong in the 37% of the games that we lost.

Anyway, my comment about him being a good match day coach was supposed to be sarcastic.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:Anyway, my comment about him being a good match day coach was supposed to be sarcastic.
If you'd been on TV, I would have spotted it. :P

Anyway, I agree re: not perfect and great record...I thought that was my point?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
degruch wrote:

Gilbert forward, twice in a row...I guess nothing was going to save us in GF2 though. Anyways, we could find good and bad examples all day, but Ross finished poorly as a match day coach. Has a nice overrall record though.
and others like Ray to Swan. He also also had to re jig to cover for Gardner. It's well acknowledged both in the AFL and in the media that RL was an excellent tactician and took zoning and the press to another level. If you want to be a contrarian on that fine, but you would be wrong.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:If you want to be a contrarian on that fine, but you would be wrong.
No, I'd be stating that RL believed his selections were fine, his key players could perform a number of roles to adapt, and game day changes would be unnecessary...thus slow to react.

( :wink: to K).

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
SaintPav wrote:If you want to be a contrarian on that fine, but you would be wrong.
No, I'd be stating that RL believed his selections were fine, his key players could perform a number of roles to adapt, and game day changes would be unnecessary...thus slow to react.

( :wink: to K).
Rekon BJ would disagree with you.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

fingers wrote:
barks4eva wrote:The happiest players no doubt will be the ones that leave St kilda and go onto play in a premiership at another club!

I just hope they include a thank you to Footy First in their premiership medal winning acceptance speeches!
Do you ever have anything good to say?
Only if it's about the past...Hey man!!! I don't get you...Do you honestly think that the saints team post GF '09 and post GF '10 was improving? You talk about Lyon as if he is the messaih. He is no hero mate.

He did not land us any silverware. Ross can go and sell his snake oil elsewhere. His mesage and his game plan was appropriate with the right cattle out on the park, and boy was he handed a nice herd from his predecessors. The rat was handed a product that anyone could coach.

Lyon had at his disposal a fantastic leadership group of players who had served as captains in their own right and had bled for the club and were committed to doing whatever it took to try and make their own history. You can build premiership teams with half a dozen high draft picks and they were at their peak during this rats' coaching tenure.

He also had a fantastic role model as captain. I remember how nervous I was that we'd lose Roo before he committed to the club around 2007 and when he signed on for a long term contract, he stated he wanted to be at the Saints for the remainder of his palying career. At the time he made me realise that we truly had a man of great character and a captain that would serve this club honourably and lead by example for all the youngsters coming into the team. This is another lost opportunity in my book, because instead of Lyon utilising the captain and the quality of Dal and BJ and Lenny and Banger to blood younsters he chose 'role players' instead.

This will all be written in the footy almanacs, and that's how it's going to be written. Ross Lyon will be forgotten. The footy writers won't be talking about the hours that the coach spent at his desk or in his office, they'll be writing about the deeds of the Saints players out on the park and the sacrafices they have made over the last five years.

Our blokes need some enthusiasm and some energy and they'll get that with a fresh new start nxt year. You mark my words, with the right bloke at the helm and with Roo, Lenny, Chips, BJ, Dal, Kozzi, Milne, Gwilt, Dempster, Blake, Schneider and Gilbo all fit and firing and the young blokes playing their part we will challenge agian very very soon.

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

reading between the lines I reckon God's said a lot when on the Sunday footy show that the senior players were driven and drive and lead the group. you wonder to what extent Lyon was more a mentor rather a coach (in the traditional sense)?

and really, how could you let Bally go? shame on Lyon as coach

and how could you not mention loyalty when it's so important to Saints?

if it were Roos at Freo would Lyon have negotiated the role? farking no chance mate.

Wonder what Nick thinks this will mean to his game. Does he perhaps feel that his game suffered under RL this year?

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

The (remaining) players who have been over rated by Lyon and given preference over others despite below-par output would be Jones, Ray, Dempster, Gilbert, Geary, Gamble, Polo, Peake, Dawson and Clarke. Obviously the level of preference given varies from player to player (and Dempster finally justified his treatment this year), but those are the guys who won't feel so safe without Ross.

The ones who have been given less opportunity than they would get at your average club include Walsh, Lynch, Armitage, Stanley, Smith and Johnson. Expect to see more games into Walsh and Lynch from the start of the season, Armo in the middle and Smith/Johnson to be given fair consideration if their Sandy performances warrant it.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Nick Riewoldt

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Our forward line, the new coach might actually find it and put it back to work.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.