GT v RL - who is hated more?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Toy Saint wrote:I've got huge respect for Grant Thomas, he was always a loyal St Kilda person, and he helped restore dignity and respect at the club, and assembeled a fantastic group
Agree.

Ro$$ had his strengths, too, but lacked the daring of a GT.

His limited imagination and inability to take risks cost us. What I don't like about him most of all was his decision to cut and run when things got too hard. GT would never have done that.
Last edited by bigcarl on Mon 19 Sep 2011 9:59pm, edited 2 times in total.

lyonhearted
Club Player

I don't know why anyone would hate Grant Thomas, he helped this club enormously - in fact, I know it won't happen, but I'd be glad if we got him back as coach.

The main criticism of Grant and supposedly the main reason we let him go is because he wielded too much power. I thought he was a good coach, became better tactically as he went along and the players' love for him was legendary. He was a better than average player for the Saints during the horrible 80s and I wouldn't mind betting that he was one of those guys that took 13 cents or whatever it was in the dollar in an effort to keep the club afloat when we could have easily folded.

GT is a Saints man and I still hold him in very high regard; don't even mention him in the same breath as the dog that just deserted us.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Its amazing what a week can do.

BushDave
Club Player

There is no doubt GT remains a Saints man. He is one of the smartest football brains around, we could do a lot worse.

Never Give Up!
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

I love everybody
however I love st kilda people more !
like you'll

Austinnn
Club Player

meher baba wrote:Neither is hated by me.

I respect both of them enormously and think both made major contributiions towards making the last decade a far more enjoyable one for this particular Saints supporter than were either of the two preceeding decades.

+1

That's life. No-one stole anything from us.

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Respect them both for what they've achieved on-field, but doesn't mean I have to like them either.

GT, the so called 'loyal' St. Kilda man, has had a chip on his shoulder even since he was shown the door and constantly uses the media to vindicate himself.

Whereas Ross let Ball walk for nothing and welcomes that dead-beat Lovett in with open arms. Then leaves the club by sneaking out the back door.

Bad management is bad management
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Both extremely good in their own right. GT was fantastic at marketing the club and players - provided a sense of family and respect amongst the players. Ross quite the opposite however a great tactician. It will be interesting to see if Lyon can tweak his game plan as (IMO) it's become outdated.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:What a stupid thread!
Ha! I love it when people post above their IQ. It shows good character development.

I guess you missed also the irony in the thread seeing as though 143 threads on the Ross Lyon saga have been started on this board in the last few days all with vitriol. I haven't seen the likes of it since the GT days of 2007. And you were a big part of that.

Nice of you to recognise stupidity when you see it. :lol:

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Glad also to see a respect for both men, if begrudgingly in some cases.

Both were employees of the club at a point in time and both obtained a level of success that had only been beaten by one other legend at St Kilda.

Time now to dig deep though. Very deep.

lefty
Club Player

spert wrote:Maybe who annoys you the most GT or RL? Although both have flaws as coaches, they did at least get us winning games and contesting finals, though couldn't pull the right trick off when needed. I used to come home late from work on weekends and watch us on cable TV in 2004,5 era and loved watching us do the demolition jobs on the opposition, and playing great team footy in the process, though it was obvious GT wasn't handling the playing list all that well later in his tenure. I didn't come home and look forward to watching us under RL, apart from being satisfied with the wins- I usually fast forward to goals or the final siren as it is horrible to watch even though we won a lot. I thought GT was a Saints man and did his best, even when the ego got in the way, however RL has shown liitle passion or enjoyment in his success and his effort last week just showed he has little respect for the players, club, supporters. He could have made a dignified exit and said he wanted the security of more money and took up the best offer, and thanks to all and wished everybody well, but instead did the cowardly thing and snuck out the back door for a bag of money.
Exactly this, fair point.