Assistants fresh off the field 2011-12

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Assistants fresh off the field 2011-12

One positive of being out of the finals is we can now be very aggressive in getting somone of quality who has just finished the game.
Quick thoughts along the lines of:

Chad Cornes
Darren Milburne
Leigh Brown
Craig Bolton

Any others you can think of? Luke Power already snapped by GWS.
We cant be slow on this.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Assistants fresh off the field 2011-12

Con Gorozidis wrote:One positive of being out of the finals is we can now be very aggressive in getting somone of quality who has just finished the game.

Chad Cornes
Darren Milburne
Leigh Brown
Craig Bolton

We cant be slow on this.
Would've thought the new coach would have a big say in this so I reckon that will determine our pace.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:One positive of being out of the finals is we can now be very aggressive in getting somone of quality who has just finished the game.

Chad Cornes
Darren Milburne
Leigh Brown
Craig Bolton

We cant be slow on this.
Would've thought the new coach would have a big say in this so I reckon that will determine our pace.
i know but by then all the above will be gone. what do you propose to do? sit back and wait for another messiah? st kilda football club should act in its own interests -not sit around waiting for some new heroic saviour. the new coach - whoever it is - will already have to deal with many staff under existing contracts - dont see what difference us going and getting an assistant now would make.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Mon 19 Sep 2011 3:49pm, edited 4 times in total.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

I'll raise your Leigh Brown and give you…

Nathan Ablett
Donald Barry
Ben Bucovaz
Roland Ah Chee
Brendonian Fevolutionary

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:I'll raise your Leigh Brown and give you…

Nathan Ablett
Donald Barry
Ben Bucovaz
Roland Ah Chee
Brendonian Fevolutionary
just throwing suggestions out there. he is a premiership player and has said he wants to coach next year. so not sure why you want to make out like its a ridiculous suggestion. because its not.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Gee sorry Con, I didn't realise all of your posts were so serious…

retirements and delistings can be found here…
http://www.afl.com.au/retirements%20%20 ... fault.aspx

FWIW - I do not want Leigh Brown at the club in a 'brains' capacity, premiership or not…

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:Gee sorry Con, I didn't realise all of your posts were so serious…

retirements and delistings can be found here…
http://www.afl.com.au/retirements%20%20 ... fault.aspx

FWIW - I do not want Leigh Brown at the club in a 'brains' capacity, premiership or not…
not saying i want down-town brown.
sorry. i just want a player fresh off the field. we have not had one in a few years - mainly because they are all taken by October. thanks for the link. handy to know.

Austinnn
Club Player

As far as player intel goes, if we're looking for fresh ideas, the only clubs worth taking from would be ourselves, Cats, Pies or Hawks; everyone else already out-of-date. Otherwise we've got Steven King and Robert Harvey.

Therefore, Leigh Brown and Dogface Milburn would be the logical solution, the former as he has played in Mick's "gamechanging" forward press, won the most recent premiership, wants to coach and isn't an insulated one-club player. He'd be highly sought-after, I'd imagine.

The latter less so, but a big part of champion team with Intel on most recent successful gameplan (Scott's cats)

I say go for Brown as forward coach.

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Chad Cornes
Darren Milburne
Leigh Brown
Craig Bolton

We cant be slow on this.
I have heard that Milburn is very good. The problem is that we are pretty restricted in terms of what we pay assistants given our financial situation so we may not get the best that is out there.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:

Chad Cornes
Darren Milburne
Leigh Brown
Craig Bolton

We cant be slow on this.
I have heard that Milburn is very good. The problem is that we are pretty restricted in terms of what we pay assistants given our financial situation so we may not get the best that is out there.
i think milburne could be a really good choice. comes from the school of "hard nosed defenders".

maybe we have some extra cash in our budget now lyon aint coaching?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
SaintPav wrote:

Chad Cornes
Darren Milburne
Leigh Brown
Craig Bolton

We cant be slow on this.
i think milburne could be a really good choice. comes from the school of "hard nosed defenders".

maybe we have some extra cash in our budget now lyon aint coaching?
Pay the new coach what we paid Lyon plus an extra $100k a year on a 4 year contract with no conditions/clauses. Then make sure it gets back to him. That would be a good way to hurt him and make him feel like sh!t.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Not fresh out of the game but a very successful coach. Our very own Troy Schwarz looks like he has what it takes to be a successful Asst Coach at this level. Coached Sorento to 3 flags in 4 years !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

MAX HUDGHTON

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

i meant guys who played in 2011 and who are uncontracted for 2012. max probably contracted at pieland for 2012 - but who knows? he could come back now lyon has gone?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Fascinating.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Fascinating.
Constructuve comments as usual. Coming from the worlds most boring and conservative ex cop.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Constructuve comments as usual. Coming from the worlds most boring and conservative ex cop.
Yep it is much more exciting writing stuff that never happens. Not even once. Sorry but I dont even know to many cops and I reckon I have you covered in the excitement stakes. Matter of fact just come off 3 days of drinking after a local GF. Very pissed now.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Matter of fact just come off 3 days of drinking after a local GF. Very pissed now.
Is that why you nominated Laidley as the successor to Lyin.....

i knew there would be a plausible explanation

Season 2024 is where RTB is showing the footy world his grasp of the modern game. :shock:
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Matter of fact just come off 3 days of drinking after a local GF. Very pissed now.
Is that why you nominated Laidley as the successor to Lyin.....

i knew there would be a plausible explanation
Cant remember that at all. I did say i heard that though. If it was up to me it would be MM then choko and then Burns.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
Yep it is much more exciting writing stuff that never happens. Not even once. Sorry but I dont even know to many cops and I reckon I have you covered in the excitement stakes. Matter of fact just come off 3 days of drinking after a local GF. Very pissed now.
Right o charlie sheen. Anywaym what do u mean it never happens? Players never retire and coach the following year?

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Surely Milburn will be courted by Geelong as an assistant

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
martymcfly_86
Club Player

Eastern wrote:Not fresh out of the game but a very successful coach. Our very own Troy Schwarz looks like he has what it takes to be a successful Asst Coach at this level. Coached Sorento to 3 flags in 4 years !!
On a side note, I know many will laugh at me for saying this given the awful start to his career and slow development, but I'm still reeling bugalugs let him go right when he came good. He could possibly have been a gamebreaker in the two GFs. He could run like a gazelle, kick the ball 60m, had a crunching tackle and was a great strong mark. I honestly thought he developed the footy smarts to be a very, very handy player! Certainly much better than mark mcgough, fergus watts, barry brooks and every role-playing hack Lyon recruited.

In terms of coaching, I don't want to see Paul Roos at St Kilda. His game plan was more negative than Lyon's IMO and if you look at the Sydney GF scores you can really see how we'd just be replacing Lyon with Lyon. Sydney won a GF by under a kick and lost one by under a kick. Saints under Lyon lost one by 2 goals (with Rooke's goal after the siren) and drew one - I'm ignoring the replay. I don't want another bloody coach that puts a side together that can't blow another team out of the water in a GF.

"Whoa Doc, this is heavy." - Marty McFly following Ross Lyon's departure
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

martymcfly_86 wrote:Sydney won a GF by under a kick and lost one by under a kick. Saints under Lyon lost one by 2 goals (with Rooke's goal after the siren) and drew one - I'm ignoring the replay. I don't want another bloody coach that puts a side together that can't blow another team out of the water in a GF.
i don't want another bloody coach that puts a side together that doesn't win a grand final, don't really care what the margin is.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

martymcfly_86 wrote:
Eastern wrote:Not fresh out of the game but a very successful coach. Our very own Troy Schwarz looks like he has what it takes to be a successful Asst Coach at this level. Coached Sorento to 3 flags in 4 years !!
On a side note, I know many will laugh at me for saying this given the awful start to his career and slow development, but I'm still reeling bugalugs let him go right when he came good. He could possibly have been a gamebreaker in the two GFs. He could run like a gazelle, kick the ball 60m, had a crunching tackle and was a great strong mark. I honestly thought he developed the footy smarts to be a very, very handy player! Certainly much better than mark mcgough, fergus watts, barry brooks and every role-playing hack Lyon recruited.

In terms of coaching, I don't want to see Paul Roos at St Kilda. His game plan was more negative than Lyon's IMO and if you look at the Sydney GF scores you can really see how we'd just be replacing Lyon with Lyon. Sydney won a GF by under a kick and lost one by under a kick. Saints under Lyon lost one by 2 goals (with Rooke's goal after the siren) and drew one - I'm ignoring the replay. I don't want another bloody coach that puts a side together that can't blow another team out of the water in a GF.
May be the weirdest last paragraph ever written on SS.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:Surely Milburn will be courted by Geelong as an assistant
oh ok. we we wont bother trying then. we let collingwood court max - so why the F*** cant we court milburne? whats the diff??