Player statements

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

To the top
SS Life Member

Player statements

Is anyone else concerned at the reported statements of players alluding to the delay of the Club in negotiating with Lyon - and effectively putting the blame on the Club?

At a time when we should be tight and focussed on "Club" and moving forward, such comments give the baying animals of the press more ammunition to attack - at best.

At worse there is perceived player discontent - and the prospect of that fuels the trash articles we see such as the article saying Goddard should follow the Lyon lead and go for his own good.

We should have the discipline to speak with one voice on this subject - the St Kilda Football Club will progress and the players look forward to the opportunities that will present under a new head coach.

After all, they endured a complete change in assistant coach personnel for 2011.

The club should also be very careful as to who they co-opt in the search for a coach - and no doubt the animals of the media will be all over the need to co-opt and co-opt from their chosen "deciples" of the game.

We should steer absolutely clear of anyone with a media profile.

Our Board are not accountable to the animals of the media - they are accountable to the staff, players and membership of the St Kilda Football Club exclusively.

The media are what they are - and if any further confirmation of this is required just take one look at Murdoch and where his (criminal) interests lay.

The credibility the animals of the media gave to a lying juvenile, and the damage done courtesy of the on-going presentation of those lies in their disgraced and unaccountable publications is also a testament to these pigs of individuals and their equally disgraced employers.

They operate from ivory towers, with no recourse available except by prosecution at law - where these media organisations settle out of court on an in confidence basis - how many people do you think the feral attack dog animals such as Bolt have made substiantally richer by out of court confidential settlements?

But Bolt has the backing of a self-interested mining magnate so is never bought to account.

Sainterman
Club Player

I think the problem here is that the players are probably not all that impressed with the way things have been handled.

Don't get me wrong, I think the manner in which RL has left the club is disgraceful, but something has prompted him to behave this way. He obviously feels jilted and the only place to look is towards admin/board.

A real shame as we have lost a great coach and someone that could have steered us through some difficult times.

To me, it seems the club have been very careful not to get involved in any type of slinging match with RL or the Dockers or the media. I think this explains some of our tip toeing about. Ross is always welcome at the Saints, we have admiration for Ross, etc.

The players must be feeling pretty upset, they formed the bubble with Ross and the bubble has now well and truly popped. Perhaps they need some time to get things right in their own heads and to see who will take over.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Sainterman wrote:A real shame as we have lost a great coach and someone that could have steered us through some difficult times.
Well the challenge was there for him but he wasn't up for it.

Inherited an up-and-coming list that was already playing finals and as soon as he realised the list was in decline (his fault for not developing kids) he bailed out.

He's not a great coach anyway. He's an average to good one with serious flaws as well as strengths.

Sainterman
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:
Sainterman wrote:A real shame as we have lost a great coach and someone that could have steered us through some difficult times.
Well the challenge was there for him but he wasn't up for it.

Inherited an up-and-coming list that was already playing finals and as soon as he realised the list was in decline (his fault for not developing kids) he bailed out.

He's not a great coach anyway. He's an average to good one with serious flaws as well as strengths.
I think we need to look a little deeper than saying he "bailed". Why did he bail? You think he thought the window was closed and therefore he would move on? I don't think so.

I think something within the club has scared him off. Perhaps he wasn't getting the support he wanted, perhaps the negotiations he was having were a bad sign in his mind. Perhaps he lost faith in the way the club was operating?

I fully agree he left in a really bad way, and it was unforgivable, but I still think something motivated him to do so, and that something was more than just $'s.

I don't think he had faith in the admin or board. To me, this is now the significant issue the club needs to deal with. And it may just end up being dealt with for them.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Has anyone considered that Ross may well have with time and relative success become a difficult prick whose ego was writing uncashable cheques?

The way he presented himself at the Freo presser was as a bloke who jumped ship because Club B could provide in a finger snap what Club A had reasons for withholding. It smacked a bit of a bitchy, spoiled brat kneejerk to me.

He tenure ends. His time was done. Surely 'difficulties' - real or not - are a two way street.

I think we have to be careful not to overstate Lyon's 'genius'. His stubbornness whittled away a plethora of assistants and after a while his game plan was hardly evolutionary. There was also little evidence of anything particularly new this year beyond playing on quicker - hardly the stuff off a coaching superpower.

Lyon should be commended for his efforts with us, but with every day he's not there I'm more and more comfortable.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Munga
Saintsational Legend

Yeah I heard BJ on TSFS and thought he sounded like he'd been brainwashed by Lyon.

Lyon wanted a four year deal in April, with one win and still 18 months left on his contract! There's no way we could sign off on that.
Lyon then asked to hold talks until the end of the season. Then he walked away for more money.

Coach for hire.

Lyon's a smart man. Wouldn't surprise me if he's trying to make our club's most influential players disgruntled, spreading the disease and hopefully drag a few to Freo with him.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
Sainterman
Club Player

Munga wrote:Yeah I heard BJ on TSFS and thought he sounded like he'd been brainwashed by Lyon.

Lyon wanted a four year deal in April, with one win and still 18 months left on his contract! There's no way we could sign off on that.
Lyon then asked to hold talks until the end of the season. Then he walked away for more money.

Coach for hire.

Lyon's a smart man. Wouldn't surprise me if he's trying to make our club's most influential players disgruntled, spreading the disease and hopefully drag a few to Freo with him.
Doubt he is trying to do that.

I just think everyone is quick to call RL this and that out of anger and disappointment. The thing is we need to look at how it got to this point. What made him behave like this??

If we don't get to the bottom of it, and either learn or make some change, the same thing will repeat again.

Sorry to say but those thinking this is all one way traffic and just RL's fault really do have their heads in the sand.

The club needs to look at how this happened, and then fix things.

The players, and what you are hearing from them, know what went on, and it wasn't great.

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

Sainterman wrote:
I think we need to look a little deeper than saying he "bailed". Why did he bail? You think he thought the window was closed and therefore he would move on? I don't think so.

I think something within the club has scared him off. Perhaps he wasn't getting the support he wanted, perhaps the negotiations he was having were a bad sign in his mind. Perhaps he lost faith in the way the club was operating?

I fully agree he left in a really bad way, and it was unforgivable, but I still think something motivated him to do so, and that something was more than just $'s.

I don't think he had faith in the admin or board. To me, this is now the significant issue the club needs to deal with. And it may just end up being dealt with for them.

I agree for the most part EXCEPT when you wrote unforgivable.... perhaps he was dealt circumstances that made it perfectly understandable!

It's very disappointing, I wanted to keep him for the long term and have him be a ten year coach for us.

If more loyalty and faith was shown in him by the board he would IMO have returned it in spades!

Of course he would have also been locked away and not put in a position where he had another club offering 7.5 million dollars.

The previous board unearthed a brilliant coach and tactician and the current board have lost him!

Munga
Saintsational Legend

The club's biggest mistake was the get out clause. Apart from that I don't have a problem with anything. Club did the best thing not signing him up in April. Lyon did the best thing for his family running to the money. Freo did the best thing hiring one of the best coaches. The way Freo and Lyon went about it is a questionable. We move on.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
Megsie
Club Player

our captain fed the frenzy on chnl 7 yest. with his statement.
Wish he'd have thought more about what he said. Not as though
he's new to the game.

Sainterman
Club Player

Megsie wrote:our captain fed the frenzy on chnl 7 yest. with his statement.
Wish he'd have thought more about what he said. Not as though
he's new to the game.
Think he might be a little frustrated about losing RL.

Perhaps it is not just about RL but also about the admin/board. I just can't understand why people can't work out there is 2 sides to the story.

Moorabbin Man
Club Player

C'mon, let's not be so naive, he went for the money. Simple as that.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

I just don't see any difference in how the StKFC admin handled the Lyon contract issue & how Hawthorn & Carlton are handling theirs.

Clarkson IS A PREMIERSHIP COACH & was let to run within a few months of the end of his contract before they re-signed him.

Ratten has an up & coming side within 3 points of a Prelim (with key players missing) and still is waiting on an extension to his contract that runs out on Oct 31!

Lyon had a contract. It had an out clause. He took advantage of it for money. Pure & simple.

Junior
Club Player

Was not happy with the attitude of Riewoldt or Goddard, thought both came across as blaming the club for the length of time it took.

From what Ross said he was offered a two year extension with conditions, and he wanted a three year unconditional contract.

Can some please let me know when in the history of the game a coach has been offered a three year unconditional contract extension when his club has won one of theif first eight games and the coach still ahs eighteen months to run on his current contract.

If this made Ross feel unawanted or unloved then I would suggest that his ego is out of control, given the position at the time the offer of a two yeart extension was more than fair,

Unfair for Ross to run with the negotiating since April bit, but Freo nailed in 72 hours. He is on record as saying he changed managers and put negotiations on hold until after the finals. So clearly we were unable to negotiate with him when he did not have a manger or for the last six weeks. Upon completion of the season ST Kilda put what Craig Kelly described as more than a fair offer to him on the Wednesday, that would be 96 hours after we were out of the finals.

If Ross had not put negotiations on hold then perhaps the issue could have been sorted six weeks ago, but apparently whilst he couls not deal with us as the season was still going he was able to concentrate on the finals but have a chat with Freo.

For what it is worth I beleive Ross was considering leaving all along for various reasons, I do not have a propblem that he took an offer of better money and longer terms but am filthy about how it happened and the fact that he appears to be changing the facts as he has stated them to defend his decision.

Can not believe that the media have not raised the issue of putting the negotiations on hold and then complaining about the lenght of time but being able to deal with Freo.

For the record I reckon Ross is a great coach and am disappointed to lose him, but I back the clubs initial offer back in April as a decision thast any prudent board would have made at that time.

Hope the players wake up and don't believe the line of crap that is beiing spun.

A champion team will always beat a team of champions.
Junior
Club Player

Was not happy with the attitude of Riewoldt or Goddard, thought both came across as blaming the club for the length of time it took.

From what Ross said he was offered a two year extension with conditions, and he wanted a three year unconditional contract.

Can some please let me know when in the history of the game a coach has been offered a three year unconditional contract extension when his club has won one of theif first eight games and the coach still ahs eighteen months to run on his current contract.

If this made Ross feel unawanted or unloved then I would suggest that his ego is out of control, given the position at the time the offer of a two yeart extension was more than fair,

Unfair for Ross to run with the negotiating since April bit, but Freo nailed in 72 hours. He is on record as saying he changed managers and put negotiations on hold until after the finals. So clearly we were unable to negotiate with him when he did not have a manger or for the last six weeks. Upon completion of the season ST Kilda put what Craig Kelly described as more than a fair offer to him on the Wednesday, that would be 96 hours after we were out of the finals.

If Ross had not put negotiations on hold then perhaps the issue could have been sorted six weeks ago, but apparently whilst he couls not deal with us as the season was still going he was able to concentrate on the finals but have a chat with Freo.

For what it is worth I beleive Ross was considering leaving all along for various reasons, I do not have a propblem that he took an offer of better money and longer terms but am filthy about how it happened and the fact that he appears to be changing the facts as he has stated them to defend his decision.

Can not believe that the media have not raised the issue of putting the negotiations on hold and then complaining about the lenght of time but being able to deal with Freo.

For the record I reckon Ross is a great coach and am disappointed to lose him, but I back the clubs initial offer back in April as a decision thast any prudent board would have made at that time.

Hope the players wake up and don't believe the line of crap that is beiing spun.

A champion team will always beat a team of champions.
Sainterman
Club Player

All I am saying is it is most likely not about the length of time it took St Kilda, the money on offer, or even about these particular contract negotiations. Ross was worried about having to continue working with the admin currently in place.

Now had he have said that in his Freo presser we would all be up in arms even more.

Sorry, but the admin and board, whether you want to believe it or not, are the MAIN reason he is no longer there. And these issues go beyond his contract.

The players can't say too much more than they have and given the circumstances I understand why they may be a little peeved.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Yes - I am very concerned with it. We can't have a situation where the players emotionally side with a now opposition coach and resent their own management. That would disastrous.

I think we need to stop being so diplomatic and come out more strongly against Lyon. It needs to be made very clear to the players that he ditched them. He abandoned them for cash and he was a fraud. He was contracted for 2012 and walked out. The Saints mgt were not tardy in talking 2013-16 and in fact by industry standards were a full 12 months ahead of their peers (see hawthorn and carlton).

I think if we leave a situation where players feel attached to an opposition coach and let down by their own board we have a serious issue. We cant let Lyon keep this influence of our players - it would be very damaging.

If you look at way Ross coached us this year and then also consider the coincidence that CJ and Faz haven't signed on - I also think he was preparing to go all year. The blame the Board thing is a smoke screen to maintain his own public persona and muddy the waters so he is not seen as a traitor - Saints players and fans should be very very wary of falling for this line.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Mon 19 Sep 2011 2:29pm, edited 1 time in total.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

They just 'broke up' and are probably in the denial stage :wink:

Sainterman
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:Yes - I am very concerned with it. We can't have a situation where the players emotionally side with a now opposition coach and resent their own management. That would disastrous.

I think we need to stop being so diplomatic and come out more strongly against Lyon. It needs to be made very clear to the players that he ditched them. He abandoned them for cash and he was a fraud. He was contracted for 2012 and walked out. The Saints mgt were not tardy in talking 2013-16 and in fact by industry standards were a full 12 months ahead of their peers (see hawthorn and carlton).

I think if we leave a situation where players feel attached to an opposition coach and let down by their own board we have a serious issue. We cant let Lyon keep this influence of our players - it would be very damaging.
Con, it might not be that simple. Unlike many of us the players work with, and know the admin of the footy club very well. They know what is right about it and what is wrong about it, and believe me there are some things wrong.

So, if a player comes out and is "disappointed" with how RL and the club could not get the deal over the line, then they probably have good reason to feel that way.

I am not sure why so many on here are having trouble with the fact that the club are culpable here too. They have played a part in this monumental stuff up. It really is clear as day if you read between the lines.

Think about it:

- we were soft in the press conference so as not to inflame a he said she said war of words
- RL alluded to negotiations taking way too long
- players have expressed disappointment in club admin

Changes are required if we are to be succesful, this has set our club back.

As I keep saying, RL could have done it way better than he did but if you think it is all his fault you are living in the darkness.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:They just 'broke up' and are probably in the denial stage :wink:
Agree wholeheartedly. It is like when a girl (or boy) dumps you and u blame yourself or blame someone else cos you cant face the fact that they just dumped you for someone else. Facing that is a dent to the ego - so its easier to blame yourself or someone else. I think thats where the saints players are at. They need to get angry about it instead of being victims.

linmarnic
Club Player

I believe the players are neutral re this matter as they have been asked to be. They have both said that at the end of the day they are disappointed with his departure but we need to support the club going forward.

Lyin took the cash and bailed out to what he perceived as a list that will more likely support his ambitions. There was an unconditional 3 years extension sitting on the table for him which his management thought fair. Compare that to Clarko and Ratten and what they have been offered. We know the Dees offered Clarko a huge contract and he knocked it back. No doubt Freo also gave him a call with same if not better offer than that provided to Lyin and the premiership coach nocked it back.

Lyin is just putting out spin to somehow justify his despicable actions.

Never give up
linmarnic
Club Player

I believe the players are neutral re this matter as they have been asked to be. They have both said that at the end of the day they are disappointed with his departure but we need to support the club going forward.

Lyin took the cash and bailed out to what he perceived as a list that will more likely support his ambitions. There was an unconditional 3 years extension sitting on the table for him which his management thought fair. Compare that to Clarko and Ratten and what they have been offered. We know the Dees offered Clarko a huge contract and he knocked it back. No doubt Freo also gave him a call with same if not better offer than that provided to Lyin and the premiership coach nocked it back.

Lyin is just putting out spin to somehow justify his despicable actions.

Never give up
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

agree. ill bet melbourne and freo offered clarko big money.

once clarko signed at hawks freo made a pitch for lyon. melbourne were never keen on him.

notice how lyon said he got "headhunted" and signed in 72 hours.

probably because he was freo's 2nd choice after clarko and they already had a contract written up for clarko. they probably just changed the name at the top - sent it to lyon for a fishing expedition and were amazed when he said yes.

So hes just a jerk.

To the top
SS Life Member

The matters which, as I understand it, contributed to Lyon leaving included:-

1) The change of management Company by Lyon
2) I believe and understand that the management Company employed by Lyon to negotiate a contract extension past the 2012 season had its own issues with the Lyon demand over certain conditions being deleted - and the resultant Contract being "unconditional", whatever that is.
3) This was the contributing fact to Lyon approaching alternative club's to pressure St Kilda and negotiating directly with at least one of those clubs (Fremantle) unknown to his management Company, which, for its part then reneged on the Contract it had with Lyon.

I would also believe that, courtesy of the "gear up and get rich quick" period which is now contracting our economy as we pay down debt and accrue savings as a contingency, Lyon was one of those who made imprudent, self serving financial decisions looking for other people's money to make him rich.

We have seen before at St Kilda what happens when the tail wags the dog, with Lockett, with Sheldon and Hudson and then with Thomas.

I would believe that the Board saw the unconditional contract sought as unsustainable - and would result in the tail wagging the dog.

That is all one issue.

And we have the result we have.

But, the bigger concern is what some of our players are saying to the media - a media which will "spin" certain words into a story which may or may not exist.

That is where the concern should be now.

And that is where discipline is required from all parties in the employ of St Kilda Football Club.

I know what I would be doing and what I would be saying to all parties if I was President.

On a strictly confidential basis, of course.

But I would include that anyone breaking that confidentiality would be dismissed.

The Club is bigger than ANY individual.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

what u be doing or saying?