What's happened with St Kilda FC finances last ten years?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Austinnn
Club Player

What's happened with St Kilda FC finances last ten years?

I'm happy to move on from the dour Lyon era, my concern is the reason he apparently left, ie because we wanted to give him less money - I can't find the quote that suggested this, so please correct me if I'm wrong - and also the negative picture generally of our finances. I've read the stories about the move to Seaford, the dropping membership, the leaving Sponsors and Etihad Stadium costs.

Still, a few years ago it seemed like we were doing pretty well financially, back when we were courting the rich set of Brighton: am I mistaken? If not, what happened?

More importantly, how can we get the money rolling in again, because what happened with Ross will happen with future coaches and players if we can't pay them what the market offers or more. Football has become far more ruthless and money-driven than ever in the last 3 years and if we can't compete financially, our future looks grim.

I'm not interested in infantile emotional chest-thumping, so Barks4eva BigMart or anyone else who can't deal with that, please don't respond thank you. Your opinions are already well noted.

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

maybe supporters could - JOIN UP

under $100 for 3 games

its a start- start by spending a little at the club..... every cent will turn to a dollar eventually

Turn UP- numbers through the gate are counted by AFL

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
defacto
Club Player

our finances are worrying. which is why i'm glad we didnt match freo's offer (we never got the opportunity so ross did us a favor there).

i'd like us to take a punt on a cheap unproven coach with a couple of good senior assistants.

thinking something like
senior coach: scott waters
director of coaching/senior assistant: leigh matthews/paul roos (can maintain media commitments)
backline coach: max houghton
ruck coach: steven king/matthew burton
midfield coach: robert harvey
forward coach: adam simpson
development: peter german

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

As a city, Melbourne is not strong enough to support 10AFL Clubs (incl G'long) and their ever increasinfg spending into the future. The strong will get stronger and the weak will fall away. Supporting Gold Coast and especially GWS will cost the AFL an enormous amount over the years - too much the way the competition is currently set up IMO.

Clubs including ours are in trouble already and things will get worse as the world financial markets again go into turmoil.

We need to stay as competitve as we can for the next few years, whether or not we can win the elusive premiership, as our performance will influence the attainment of Sponsors.

The supporter base has been "flogged" for a long time, with the Club delivering few "benefits." The worsening economic conditions and fall down the ladder, will only see further revenue erosion.

The Board needs to deliver on "alternative" revenue stream options to keep the Football Club alive.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

defacto wrote:our finances are worrying. which is why i'm glad we didnt match freo's offer (we never got the opportunity so ross did us a favor there).

i'd like us to take a punt on a cheap unproven coach with a couple of good senior assistants.

thinking something like
director of coaching/senior assistant: leigh matthews/paul roos (can maintain media commitments)
Who the hell is Max Houghton? Never heard of him.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
defacto
Club Player

Bernard Shakey wrote:
defacto wrote:our finances are worrying. which is why i'm glad we didnt match freo's offer (we never got the opportunity so ross did us a favor there).

thinking something like
Who the hell is Max Houghton? Never heard of him.
spelling mate. you know who i mean

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Re: What's happened with St Kilda FC finances last ten years

Austinnn wrote:More importantly, how can we get the money rolling in again, because what happened with Ross will happen with future coaches and players if we can't pay them what the market offers or more. Football has become far more ruthless and money-driven than ever in the last 3 years and if we can't compete financially, our future looks grim.
there's no incentive for any club to make profits, because that just means you don't get a piece of the (essentially free) equalisation pie.

given that footy department spending is pretty solidly correlated with success, and that we have a poor stadium deal which is essentially the afl's fault, there's only one logical course of action. spend much more than we earn on coaches, training trips and facilities, then take a handout from the afl to make up for it.

if we don't take handouts from the afl, we're crippling the club for no gain.

SaintWodonga
Club Player

It's my understanding to get the bombers to Docklands, the committee handed them a great deal. Every time a Saints cap gets sold (for example) the bumers get part of the sale. Our deal sucks and when we've been playing some boring footy, it does not help. Even our finals crowd was poor. The deal with docklands must be improved.

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

SaintWodonga wrote:Even our finals crowd was poor.
no it wasn't. elimination finals against interstate sides at the docklands just don't draw good crowds:

2011 St K v Syd: 39205
2007 Haw v Adel: 36534
2007 Coll v Syd: 64645 (MCG)
2005 Kan v Port: 25195
2002 Ess v WC: 37475
2001 Carl v Adel: 53982 (MCG)

we had a better crowd than hawthorn or essendon hosting an elim against an interstate side. not as good as carlton or collingwood - but they were at the mcg.

it really wasn't a bad crowd.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

It's obvious that we are not being managed well financially as some of the other Vic clubs ( not all) the board has to take that responsibility pure and simple. We have to get bigger sponsors so ring around guys.
Anyone got Lindsay Foxes number ?

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

The MCG finals normally have at least 10K on the MCC members.

At Jihad, there is no space for MCC members.

39K was a terrific crowd for our final.

Would've been 50K at the G.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:The MCG finals normally have at least 10K on the MCC members.

At Jihad, there is no space for MCC members.

39K was a terrific crowd for our final.

Would've been 50K at the G.
They probably had 3000 medallion club member though.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:...Who the hell is Max Houghton? Never heard of him.
He's taken a few to the cleaners in his time and likes his wine.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

i work in the wine industry
maybe we can bribe him from the filth