Brendan Goddard

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

jackal
Club Player

The Goddard trade/non trade is the biggest decision of Pelchin's career. If we keep him and he walks next year for nothing we will be gutted, He'll be a free agent and I'm pretty sure other clubs will be able to out bid us.

Easily the best currency we have if we decide we need to refresh with youth.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

So we dont try and get a good return for him, and he walks at the end of 2012. Where do you stand then?

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

we get compensated if he walks for to GWS or GCS unless he puts himself in the PSD. If he does, as did ball, we are screwed.

If he does he won't be eligible to go in the veterans list in 2013.

Further, what you are saying is lets treat him as if he was scumbag and a mercenary who has no respect and get something for him while he's worth it.

for me, I'd rather treat him with respect now.

With fans thinking like this, frankly, If I was goddard reading some of the s*** written about him, I'd be thinking fcuk the fans if they think like this.

If he is a scumbag and mercenary then we try and get something at the time his contract is up.

Goddard has given no indication he is a mercenary, although he has given an indication he would like to be paid more.

I'm sure he and others are wierded out that sculley is earning 7m over 5 years and Israel folau 5 million over 3 years including 1 year of doing nothing ad the like, and yes that is not fair.

If he is offered 7m for 4 years or similar, st kilda won't be able to hold him regardless, and IF he wants to go, I'm sure he'll be decent enough to allow us to trade him to the team he wants to go to. Not some s*** collingwood rip of deal like ball.

TILL that time, when goddard asks to go, I would treat hm with respect. He's been at the club since 18, nearly 10 years.

In that time he's turned down big offers from many teams.

in 3 years time he hits 2 or 3 seasons of jackpot money being the vets list.

Only a deal that smashes the vet list money would be a driver for him to go.

Lets treat him with some respect, we have had enough ass holes that we don't have to behave like that.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
clisaint
Club Player

What if he wants out?

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

clisaint wrote:What if he wants out?
If he wants out we try and persuade him to stay, if not we try and arrange an honourable trade.

I wrote that. we can't compete and shouldn't compete with a 1.5m p/a over 5 year deal.

I would like to believe he isn't a snake who will put himself in the PSD to thwart us.

But if he believes the people from the club are like the treacherous people on this forum, he might.

Treat them him with respect, he would seem to have afforded us that courtesy since we took him a decade ago.

SHUT UP KRIME!
sRaf
Club Player

Then we will whine and moan and judge someone we know little about for the next three years.

clisaint
Club Player

sRaf wrote:
Then we will whine and moan and judge someone we know little about for the next three years.
Until the next coach walks out on us, at which point all will be forgiven?

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Yep trade away one or more of the very few A grade players Saints have, and the fabric of the club, for high draft picks.

Then hope these high DP turn out to be.......A grade players :shock: You might strike 1 out of 4 to be elite - generally in about 3-4 years time.
Meanwhile get trampled most weeks, and membership goes down....
While watching former Saints tearing it up elsewhere, makes sense

Stand your ground :shock:
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

MCG-Unit wrote:Yep trade away one or more of the very few A grade players Saints have, and the fabric of the club, for high draft picks.

Then hope these high DP turn out to be.......A grade players :shock: You might strike 1 out of 4 to be elite - generally in about 3-4 years time.
I know right.

There are so few players of goddards calibre, maybe 15 to 20 in the league all up, tops, and folks want to trade him away... :roll:

stupidity personified.

Bet its the same people who start bagging the 18 year olds when they haven't cemented a place in the seniors in their first year.

I remember folks begging to get rid of monty because he was a slow developer, maybe we can get a 3rd round draft pick.

Sometimes I think the fans here deserve the loyalty they get.

SHUT UP KRIME!
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Dan Warna wrote:
MCG-Unit wrote:Yep trade away one or more of the very few A grade players Saints have, and the fabric of the club, for high draft picks.

I know right.

There are so few players of goddards calibre, maybe 15 to 20 in the league all up, tops, and folks want to trade him away... :roll:

stupidity personified.

Bet its the same people who start bagging the 18 year olds when they haven't cemented a place in the seniors in their first year.

I remember folks begging to get rid of monty because he was a slow developer, maybe we can get a 3rd round draft pick.

Sometimes I think the fans here deserve the loyalty they get.
Yes Goddard at his top would be right up there for sure. The SS Oracle wanted him and Riewoldt traded to GC.
He was slammed by some on here for the first year or two because as a no 1 DP he should have dominated the comp straight away :shock:

Early on I think some folks wanted Montagna tipped out for not being up to it. Some players take time..........
Go figure

Stand your ground :shock:
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:There is alot of speculation that BJ will be gone at the end of 2012 anyway. That is what I have based this thread on.
This is my impartial view. Offer Goddard a two year extension prior to this years trade period. If he declines the offer then trade him. His intensions would be obvious. No BS'ing around. If he leaves at the end of next year we get nothing in return. It is essential that he signs an extension.

....Saying this my preference is to keep him. I believe Montagna is the better option to trade. We may even get Jaegar O'meara...or at least one of the 4 from the mini draft.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
borderbarry wrote:There is alot of speculation that BJ will be gone at the end of 2012 anyway. That is what I have based this thread on.
This is my impartial view. Offer Goddard a two year extension prior to this years trade period. If he declines the offer then trade him. His intensions would be obvious. No BS'ing around. If he leaves at the end of next year we get nothing in return. It is essential that he signs an extension.

....Saying this my preference is to keep him. I believe Montagna is the better option to trade. We may even get Jaegar O'meara...or at least one of the 4 from the mini draft.
But what if we give up Montagna for the mini draft.....

......and they give us McQualter? :shock: :wink:

clisaint
Club Player

Have heard similar, and not to GWS.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Old Mate wrote:

......and they give us McQualter? :shock: :wink:
Doubtful but could happen. These 4 players from the mini draft are effectively top 4 draft picks from the following year which is said to be a supper draft, unlike this years.

I'm just using Montagna as an example because if we want to participate in this draft then we need to offer an A grader. Much better option than Goddard who is a couple of years younger and has better leadership qualities.

I don't think we need a full rebuild however we do need to turnover some players and inject some quality youth. This would be a step in the right direction.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

More I read this s***, the more I realise Lyon did the right thing to abandon us and goddard will leave us with nothing because you guys don't deserve loyalty.

SHUT UP KRIME!
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:More I read this s***, the more I realise Lyon did the right thing to abandon us and goddard will leave us with nothing because you guys don't deserve loyalty.
chill out dude it's just football. Who really gives a s*** that Lyon left anyway? It's not worth worrying about.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
Old Mate wrote:
borderbarry wrote:There is alot of speculation that BJ will be gone at the end of 2012 anyway.  That is what I have based this thread on.

......and they give us McQualter?  :shock:  :wink:
Doubtful but could happen. These 4 players from the mini draft are effectively top 4 draft picks from the following year which is said to be a supper draft, unlike this years..

:wink:

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Did you draw that yourself? Impressive 8-)

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Personally I would like to see BJ finish his career with us amd win at least one premiership medalion!!