Maybe the administration did fail Lyon?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

skeptic wrote:I don't know

Most people genuinely don't want to move around.

I would have thought that Ross would have liked to have stayed and finish what he started... I would have thought he had pride in the work he had done here.

If that was the case, given that he was contracted next year and knew an extension wasn't far away I don't think the timing of a few months would have made that much difference.
I think everyone knew over the last 4 months that St.Kilda would not dump Ross Lyon.

The story I've tended to believe is that RL was very close to quitting in the off-season due to those "scandals".

He stayed... kept his job... raised his stocks but in the back of his mind, decided to keep his eyes open for a better opportunity.

He was never going to go to Melb because there is too much curve ball about that club at the moment... poor resources, unpredictable management etc

Freo on the other hand provide a much different proposition
- talented list
- excellent resources
- can pay him more

I don't think it's about us jerking him around... I think he wants to coach a premiership side... saw opportunity with Freo... stars aligned and he took it.

The gamble for him is that Freo is the last club he will eer coach IMO. If he doesn't deliver at Freo, he's finished - if he does, he'll never leave
If Ross wanted to pick up and leave in the pre season when the going got tough (which I had not heard until this week), I am glad to see the back of him. This whole week has me seeing Mr Lyon in a completely different light. When the going gets tough, he tends to want to move on pretty quickly.

In regards to people not wanting to move around, have a look where Ross has been in his coaching career so far. It has covered a fair whack of Australia. Location is not an issue with him and having young children makes it easier. The decision won't be quite so easy in 4-5 years time when they become more entrenched in school.

I am relieved he has gone now. Time to move on. I am glad the club has left it on a positive note and not a sour one. Lyon has been good for us for the last few years but it is time for all involved to move on. Onwards and upwards!!

Fortius Quo Fidelius
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Come on Barks.

Ross used his get out clause because he wanted to get out.

IMO, had no intention to stay at St Kilda, whatever the offer.

He is a career coach.

Put in this way, after 4 years, and purely in a sense of your market value as a coach...

Where would you rather be?

Freo or Saints?

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

SainterK wrote:Come on Barks.

He is a career coach.

Put in this way, after 4 years, and purely in a sense of your market value as a coach...

Freo or Saints?
A coach with moral integrity(like a good captain) should be prepared to go down with the ship .. especially if he has contributed (through incompetence) to damaging its hull below the waterline.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:

He is a career coach.

Freo or Saints?
A coach with moral integrity(like a good captain) should be prepared to go down with the ship .. especially one who has contributed to damaging its hull below the waterline.
My mail (from a source incredibly close to him) is that our captain was offered double to go to the Gold Coast.

But he stayed.

Ice Wolf
Club Player

True Believer wrote: Contracts in the AFL are not worth the paper they are printed on, so all your repetitive rambling bulls*** dissing our board is misdirected angst as a result of your failure to accept that the club moved to SEaford. You know what, I live on the Peninsula, as do a bunch of other Saints supporters, and I love Seaford. Banger lives in Mt Eliza and I reckon he rates Seaford too.

Get over it!!
Not to mention Banger was recruited from Seaford, Burke came from The Pines which is right next door and Loewe from Mt Eliza. I'd say the area has been pretty good to the club.

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
barks4eva wrote: oh dear

do you believe everything you hear

:roll: 
oh dear

do you disbelieve everything you hear

Michael Nettlefold was rabbiting on about "spirit of the contract" :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: when asked about get out clauses on FC

then the next day Westaway was saying it was for circumstances such as if St kilda had no money to pay him

WHO BELIEVE'S THIS SHYTE, REALLY?

The board/ WESTAWAY inserted get out clauses

because they were unconvinced by Lyon

For example you would only have to have read the newspaper close to when the contract was renewed to see the president blubbering on in the media about how he did not like our so called unattractive style of play :shock:

They were hedging their bets!

The inclusion of these get out clauses helped things unravel as they did!

The board left things swinging for far too long and have managed to lose a brilliant coach that they inherited to begin with.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Ice Wolf wrote:
True Believer wrote: Contracts in the AFL are not worth the paper they are printed on, so all your repetitive rambling bulls*** dissing our board is misdirected angst as a result of your failure to accept that the club moved to SEaford. You know what, I live on the Peninsula, as do a bunch of other Saints supporters, and I love Seaford. Banger lives in Mt Eliza and I reckon he rates Seaford too.

Get over it!!
Not to mention Banger was recruited from Seaford, Burke came from The Pines which is right next door and Loewe from Mt Eliza. I'd say the area has been pretty good to the club.
Well obviously Ross couldn't stand the commute from Reservoir to Seaford!

So he moved to Perth :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

No doubt!

WHO inserted these get out clauses when the contract was extended :?:

WHY did he want OUT :?:

The answer is the same for both questions!

samoht
Saintsational Legend

RL exercised his selfish get out before the ship sinks clause and also before the eventual tell tale signs emerge (poor recruiting, lack of youth development etc, poor game plan that is past its use by date.) point back to him clause.

Do we really need such a person ? .. come on !
Last edited by samoht on Sat 17 Sep 2011 2:30pm, edited 1 time in total.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:
matrix wrote:and didnt he say that both parties agree to GET OUT CLAUSES incase the club is going to become unfinancial??
did i not hear that from the horses mouth???

oh dear

do you believe everything you hear AND seriously what point are you making anyway

oh ok, so Ross Lyon used the get out clause because the club are bankrupt and could not pay him the money he was owed

I didn't know this, strange that it has not been reported anywhere

where did i say that u pratt?
you keep babbling on about who put the get out claues in the contract
and the answer was what i posted apparently
so im guessing that a lot of coaches now days would actually HAVE get out clasues
becasue sometimes you know what happens??...s*** happens and they decide, need or have to go.
but keep rambling on like a stuck record
we love your posts
you know,
the ones that say the exact same thing every time you post in a thread.
its nice to wonder whats coming next
8-) oh thats right something about discombulationing buffoons or something

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:

No doubt!

WHO inserted these get out clauses when the contract was extended :?:

WHY did he want OUT :?:

The answer is the same for both questions!
Disagree.

Please don't selective quote me, I gave my answer.

Ross is very likely to find another club at the end of 2015.

After he has played a selective core for 4 years and with probably much success, he will assess the state of the list, and if he sees a possibility that his market value will diminish....

Well, you know the rest.

samoht
Saintsational Legend

RL is the only person who has come out of this ahead.

Instead of feeling sorry for him - let's start feeling sorry for our next coach !
RL left because he saw the light (could have and should have done more re: youth development and recruiting ) and has left a mess behind - the next coach has a massive task ahead of him.

I see his departure the end of an ERROR !
Last edited by samoht on Sat 17 Sep 2011 2:41pm, edited 1 time in total.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

no problems with how the club acted.
ross had his shot - it was an all or nothing gamble that almost paid off.
but it didn't.
his time was done.
we were going backwards.
now we go forward.
ross wasn't the man to take us forward. that should be pretty obvious and it would've been a disaster if we'd tied him up for the next three years.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:no problems with how the club acted.
ross had his shot - it was an all or nothing gamble that almost paid off.
but it didn't.
his time was done.
we were going backwards.
now we go forward.
ross wasn't the man to take us forward. that should be pretty obvious and it would've been a disaster if we'd tied him up for the next three years.
Now he's revealed his true colours I totally agree.

I must say the criticism of RL from all sides of the media has been nothing short of amazing. I'm sure he doesn't give a rat's tossbag about it but it's certainly damaged his reputation.

And it's put a hell of a lot of pressure on the new Purple Prince!

matrix
Saintsational Legend

ross lyin
the only man in the history of coaches to have a get out clause in his contract :roll:

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:
barks4eva wrote:
matrix wrote:and didnt he say that both parties agree to GET OUT CLAUSES incase the club is going to become unfinancial??
did i not hear that from the horses mouth???

oh dear

do you believe everything you hear AND seriously what point are you making anyway

oh ok, so Ross Lyon used the get out clause because the club are bankrupt and could not pay him the money he was owed

I didn't know this, strange that it has not been reported anywhere

where did i say that u pratt?
you keep babbling on about who put the get out claues in the contract
and the answer was what i posted apparently
so im guessing that a lot of coaches now days would actually HAVE get out clasues
becasue sometimes you know what happens??...s*** happens and they decide, need or have to go.
but keep rambling on like a stuck record
we love your posts
you know,
the ones that say the exact same thing every time you post in a thread.
its nice to wonder whats coming next
8-) oh thats right something about discombulationing buffoons or something

You didn't explain you previous post

You were talking about horses mouths or something

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:ross lyin
the only man in the history of coaches to have a get out clause in his contract :roll:
Correct. Because the Board are morons!

Get with it popcorn boy :P

samoht
Saintsational Legend

Who will be our brave new coach ?
That's all we need to be thinking about now.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

err i thought i did
anyhoo
youre barking on about the board having a get out clause in the ro$$ contract
im saying wasnt it said it was agreed by both parties
didnt someone say that recently?
didnt i hear that yesterday?

and

wouldnt a lot of coaches have get out clauses in their contract?
nope
not one board or coach has EVER put a clause in a contract.
makes sens huh

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Enrico_Misso and barks4eva;

I have a thought for you...If you had to put your finger on the 'key' ingredient on what will bring an AFL club a premiership, what would it be....

Not part of the key, or one of the final pieces, but the KEY....

Survey says........I reckon 90% of footy followers, footy insiders, administrators, journo's, etc.. would tell you it's the cattle.

Our core group was there pre-Ross. The blueprint had been handed to this bloke. He had all the tools and all the equipment for the 'key'. My point is -Lyon can coach but he has been unable to teach, and nurture and develop youngsters or to recruit 'role-players' with match winning abilities (Dean Polo is NOT Stewy Dew!). No excuses will be accepted Ross Lyon. Premierships are won by recruiting the right players and teaching them well. You have failed Ross.

You had your last chance in Oct. 2010 to say OK, let's see how we can improve the list and build towards a premiership for this footy club. Maybe the board had to give him one last attempt because I suppose he deserved it. He was in control over the last three yrs or so and by mid year when the board could see that this bloke has failed...they made up their minds that the club needs to recruit someone who can find the 'key'.

The playing list when RL came on board was just about right. Two pre-lims in '04 '05 also meant that the young stars had gained some finals experience and some painful memories to drive them and motivate them to greater heights. No one here denies that he is a very good coach. Is he a great coach..well the jury is out because history only remembers premiership winning coaches. Your arguments about St Kilda's board failing this bloke are crap. He recruted for self preservation late last year instead of working on the blueprint for the key.

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Lyon failed St.Kilda!

Game plan, trading and development wasn't good enough to deliver a premiership.

Another opportunity awaits!
samoht
Saintsational Legend

Good post Scollop.

RL is like a good (and very convincing in his case) action role actor.
When RL applied for the job .. St Kilda was like the right script and role for him. It looked like a commercial hit - it was the right genre - action - had lots of special effects and all the right ingredients.
it would further his self serving career. He just had to mumble a few lines.
Too easy !

The spinoff/sequel is now a lot harder and is a less commercial dramatic role - that will require enormous acting skills and a brave actor prepared to take risks to hone his craft and possibly risk his career in the process... as this may not be a hit.

So who will be our brave new coach ?
Maybe Geoffrey Rush ?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Are you serious? He still had all of next year to run. The club were well within the norm to not rush a deal when he had 18 months to run which is a long time in footy.
Clarkson only had only this year in his contract and just struck a new deal a few weeks ago.
He went for cash. Plain and simple.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:
markp wrote:As I said in another thread, if he asks for an extension you can either say yes or no or maybe later.... but you shouldn't be too surprised if he makes other arrangements when he doesn't hear yes.

If the board had reservations about the man and his style, they obviously were over them last week when they offered him what he wanted way back then.

That's if the story about his request in April is totally correct.

EXACTLY

The board hedged their bets and then too late realised they might lose him

Once you have a coach generally regarded as being one of the very best

a truly professional organization would have signed up Lyon WITHOUT GET OUT CLAUSES that could be enacted at any time and in this instance would have done so last October

The very first time these clowns dealt with Lyon they inserted a get out clause that did not exist in the original contract

He's gone. Move on.

Maybe we'll get someone who is fair dinkum about St Kilda Football Club to replace him.

Good riddance to bad rubbish

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:
satchmo wrote: But I do wonder why they bothered with a contract at all?
WHO WAS IT AGAIN WHO INSERTED THE GET OUT CLAUSES?

The initial contract signed by the previous administration did mean that he had a REAL contract until these bumbling and stumbling fools inserted this nonsense making Lyon's position tenuous at best

MEANING because of these FOOTY FIRST CLOWNS he could stay or go at anytime of his or their choosing

WHY would you do that when you have a brilliant coach who other clubs might hunt

the board were unconvinced even after back to back Grand Finals

Westaway and Warne would share similar opinion about Lyon

Ross Lyon has done nothing wrong

The board and Westaway are totally incompetent and they have managed to stuff this up monumentally
What a load of simplistic ignorant bollocks.

it is obvious you lack any experience with anythng remotely corporate or to do with business.

You really are a clueless fool, who makes is an embarrassment to himself

They say an empty vessel makes the most noise and here is your proof.

You really insult the intelligence of anyone with an education of anything over grade 10.

You have no idea what you are on about, really it is embarrassing reading this. It shows your utter ignorance and crass stupidity.

Still tell us about RIX.

That has made you a laughing stock on here.

ignorant, niaive, out of your depth.

Stick to your strengths, printing out hitout to advantage stats and plastering them in the wrong coaches box.

lol - what a fool :roll:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)