April . One win. Ross wants 4 yr contract. Your response???

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

oneteam
Club Player

April . One win. Ross wants 4 yr contract. Your response???

I would have said -

" go away and get serious.

come back when we are not facing a disastrous on field year.

come back when there is no chance of us finishing below gold coast ( which he was looking like taking us to)

So no, cant give you four years. you have 2 full seasons to go on your contract

Our members would string us up announcing a locked in 4 year contract."

i wonder if that is exactly what happenned?
I cant believe they would even offer him a 2 year extension at that point , unless it had an out clause.

May comes. Ross is disappojnted about no agreement from the club.
- we are 15th on ladder and gold coast above us. only 1 win still.

I would still not be jumping into a new contract.

later in the year , yes, I would start talking .

Go Sainters Go
Club Player

Was agreed by Lyon and the Club after that to defer contract negotiations to the end of the season. That has been conveniently forgotten by Lyon and others.

Once a "Saint" always a trueblooded "Saint"
georgie girl
Club Player

Could understand if he was only contracted til end of 2011 but he wasn't! He was still contracted to end of 2012, so end of season (2011) discussion was quite a realistic business proposal I think!

doggerel
Club Player

Ross couldn't stop himself going for points scoring on that issue could he?. Fremantle, so professional, locked and loaded in 72hrs., all that junk. That was the only deviation from either Saints or Ross on the "we've been good for each other, we wish each other well" line.

Elsewhere Ross intimated that both he and the club agreed shortly after the April request for 4 yrs that contract talks should be put on hold. Well, yes, he would say that when the team is losing and his negotiating position is getting weaker by the week.

And then he had a change of mgt company and all parties agreed that it reasonable to address contract after the season ends. All very reasonable I would have thought.

St Kilda Social Club member since 1996
markp
Saintsational Legend

Armed with the knowledge I had from actually being inside the club and knowing how he interacts and works (or not) within that organisation, I would decide then and there if he is the person to guide us through the next stage, and either sign him up (what better time when his market price is slightly down?), or delay and start thinking about the next coach.

We didn't do the former for whatever reason, and don't think we did the latter, unless there were serious reservations about the man and his style?... Not saying he was justified in cracking the shytes and doing what he did at all, but it looks like we eventually offered him what he asked for initially, so they obviously did think he was the man for the job still. That's if what he is saying is true, of course....

If he asked for an extension you either say yes or no or maybe later... but you shouldn't be too surprised if he makes other arrangements after not hearing yes.

Coulda, shoulda, woulda... onward we now go.

I hope freo choke on this deal, and our next coach is a cracker.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:If he asked for an extension you either say yes or no or maybe later... but you shouldn't be too surprised if he makes other arrangements after not hearing yes.

one other differance is the ability of the club concerned either way in being Financially Fiscal......
the saints are viable but Knifes edge financially and we as members and supporters need them to be conscious of going forward but not driving us into a grave by doing so.... where can we move the bricks/$$

Freemantle have no such restrictions- they have mining and wesfarmers backing them- $$$$ absolutely no restriction.. either in getting what they want or paying out the encumbant- M Harvey gets 600,000 holiday money...
Last edited by saintbrat on Sat 17 Sep 2011 1:48pm, edited 1 time in total.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

I would have said yes.

Got a B grade team within a whisker of winning two flags. The proof was in the pudding, he is a great coach.

Lyon's only mistake at that point of the year was being in denial about how much further his 'best' 22 could go. But he eventually smelt the coffee.
Last edited by SydneySainter on Sat 17 Sep 2011 1:49pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bad management is bad management
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

No doubt, the Club made some serious mistakes in getting Ross to stay on, as they wanted him to do.

However, at the end of the day, when Ross got a counter offer, he didn't give the Club any opportunity to turn things around. He looked after himself. Stuff the saints he said, I'm OK.

Well goodbye Ross. Thanks for your efforts. We'll look after ourselves now.

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

saintbrat wrote:
markp wrote:If he asked for an extension you either say yes or no or maybe later... but you shouldn't be too surprised if he makes other arrangements after not hearing yes.

one other differance is the ability of the club concerned either way in being Financially Fiscal......
the saints are viable but Knifes edge financially and we as members and supporters need them to be conscious of going forward but not driving us into a grave by doing so.... where can we move the bricks/$$

Freemantle have no such restrictions- they have mining and wesfarmers backing them- $$$$ absolutely no restriction.. either in getting what they want or paying out the encumbant- M Harvey gets 600,000 holiday money...
Yet they still struggle to get into the finals and keep their players on the park. Sometimes money can't fix everything......

Fortius Quo Fidelius
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

SydneySainter wrote: Got a B grade team within a whisker of winning two flags.
He had to mould them into a B grade team first. Getting rid of ball helped. Teaching them to kick backwards at every opportunity helped too. If he stuck around, maybe we could have reached C grade?

Interesting to see what he can do with an E grade team.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

That's not forget that Bleeding Heart Lying lost a fair bit of ca$h due to the GFC.

He's clearly not smart enough re shares is he? :lol:

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Megsie
Club Player

if club agreed in april with a get out clause no doubt
Lyon would still have shafted the saints with his over inflated ego.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Megsie wrote:if club agreed in april with a get out clause no doubt
Lyon would still have shafted the saints with his over inflated ego.
clause was there from early last year or late 2009 when contract signed

even Lyon didn't fully realise about the clause untill his management changed- wonder what his previous manager didn't see or agreed to.
Last edited by saintbrat on Sat 17 Sep 2011 3:00pm, edited 1 time in total.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Fancy someone changing employer for a measly couple of million extra. Unheard of. Outrageous.

My guess is that there were a number of reasons:

1. A bit of argie bargie from the club earlier in the year when they thought they had the upper hand, pissed him off given his record.
2. The growing realisation that our next flag shot was likely to be some years away.
3. That fact that there are only so many times you can say the same thing to players without it wearing very thin.
4. Wanting to put the disappointments of 2009 and 2010 behind him, something people who move from club to club, like coaches, players and administrators can do but we can never. As he said to one of our posters recently, he has nightmares about 2009.
5. An offer too good to refuse. No-one in their right mind would knock back an extra few million over a contract period for the sake of "loyalty" especially when he already had been "loyal" to five other teams before arriving at St Kilda, and no-one criticised him for that.

The method of execution was the only issue, and I like most, don't buy the spin that Freo's first contact was in the week after the H&A season finished in order to sound out a coach for 2013. If that's the case, why wouldn't they have done the right thing and left the approach to after we had finished our season? It does highlight the problem of the management of players and coaches who are looking to change clubs. The inevitable conflicts of interests seem unable to be resolved within the current structure. It's only going to get worse with free agency.

kaos theory
Club Player

Go Sainters Go wrote:Was agreed by Lyon and the Club after that to defer contract negotiations to the end of the season. That has been conveniently forgotten by Lyon and others.
BINGO

This is what some of the RL lovers who can't seem to process through their heads.

But somehow instead we were supposed to frantically throw all our money at him, get down our our knees and offer anything he wants.

Schillaci
Club Player

Daryl Kerrigan's advice would have been..."He's dreaming. Tell him to get stuffed." and now he'd just call him a d**khead. All appropriate given the circumstances back then and now.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

kaos theory wrote:
Go Sainters Go wrote:Was agreed by Lyon and the Club after that to defer contract negotiations to the end of the season. That has been conveniently forgotten by Lyon and others.
BINGO

This is what some of the RL lovers who can't seem to process through their heads.

But somehow instead we were supposed to frantically throw all our money at him, get down our our knees and offer anything he wants.

whoaaaa
no way!
never!