This game is a business

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Trunch
Club Player

This game is a business

We can sit here and throw barbs at Ross Lyon but the fact is AFL Football is a big business. We dropped the ball on contract negotiations with Ross. Unlike players that come under a salary cap, coaches and football department staff can be offered 'market value'

I watched the Freo press conference and Ross was very business like. He has moved on. This is modern day football. We don't like it but its reality. I believe it is becoming more like pro sports in the U.S.

Our club needs to recognise these points and move on quickly. We are not 'victims' so lose the victim mentality and become more ruthless.

Remain educated on the game, stay loyal to St.Kilda
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Re: This game is a business

Trunch wrote:We can sit here and throw barbs at Ross Lyon....
Absolutely.

Thanks 8-)

Sainterman
Club Player

You are right, it is now a business and if this wasn't the wake up call the Saints needed to see and learn this then I don't know what is!

We no longer have the same game we grew up loving. Wait for free agency...won't be long before the comp is like the EPL with only 4 or 5 sides able to win a flag.

Can't help but be very disappointed with all parties here, RL, Ross and the Dockers.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Sainterman wrote:You are right, it is now a business and if this wasn't the wake up call the Saints needed to see and learn this then I don't know what is!

We no longer have the same game we grew up loving. Wait for free agency...won't be long before the comp is like the EPL with only 4 or 5 sides able to win a flag.

Can't help but be very disappointed with all parties here, RL, Ross and the Dockers.
I dont see why free Agency will change who can win the flags.

Sainterman
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Sainterman wrote:You are right, it is now a business and if this wasn't the wake up call the Saints needed to see and learn this then I don't know what is!

Where will players want to go Plug? Do they want to stick it out for "loyalty" reasons? Or do they want to go where the money, resources and opportunities are to win flags??

Wait and see, but my feeling is this won't work out well for the teams like St Kilda.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Sainterman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Where will players want to go Plug? Do they want to stick it out for "loyalty" reasons? Or do they want to go where the money, resources and opportunities are to win flags??

Wait and see, but my feeling is this won't work out well for the teams like St Kilda.
EPL dont have a salary cap but we do. They can all want to go to top clubs but if there is no money in the salary cap then they cant go there.

St Lenny
Club Player

Regardless of he said, they said, what ever. He knew that St Kilda wanted him long term. We offered the deal he wanted. He never said, oh I dont want to shift my young family all the way to Perth away from family did he? He contacted them and told them about the out clause.

He wanted to go, for what ever reasons, nothing to do with length of contract.

Sainterman
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Sainterman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

EPL dont have a salary cap but we do. They can all want to go to top clubs but if there is no money in the salary cap then they cant go there.
Do you really think the salary cap is the only way to reward a player for coming to your club? Not sure Judd would be at Carlton then...

Saints94
SS Life Member

St Lenny wrote:Regardless of he said, they said, what ever. He knew that St Kilda wanted him long term. We offered the deal he wanted. He never said, oh I dont want to shift my young family all the way to Perth away from family did he? He contacted them and told them about the out clause.

He wanted to go, for what ever reasons, nothing to do with length of contract.
Most likely over Pelchan's control over the football department.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Sainterman wrote:You are right, it is now a business .
Great, I'll go off and support BHP then.

When do they play next?

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Sainterman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Sainterman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Do you really think the salary cap is the only way to reward a player for coming to your club? Not sure Judd would be at Carlton then...
The AFL realise that and have made deals like that much harder.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Sainterman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Sainterman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

The AFL realise that and have made deals like that much harder.
Some Richmond players might have wished they had tightened up on these deals earlier. :shock:

paddy
Club Player

Who cares if it is a business....

this is the place for people to feel hurt, and complain....

we all know that S**t happens, and that its only a game etc etc etc...

dont see the point in trying to stop peoples cathartic venting....

Bowey Boy
Club Player

If it was only a business, only the Corporate box users ,Pie Sellers and Cleaners would be there on match day.

"I think, 'You kick a footy mate, you kick a footy. It's not like you've got a cure for cancer. You kick a footy, stop thinking you are so special'." - Samantha Black
mullet
Saintsational Legend

A business you are kidding.

In business contracts are binding. You cant just sack someone without a valid reason and warnings.

Coaches get sacked at the drop of a hat and their contracts are worth nothing, 20 year olds getting paid more than a premiership player and brownlow medalist.
Thats like paying the mail boy more than the CEO.

This is the most obscene "business" I have ever seen.

ChelseaGuy
Club Player

Trunch wrote:We can sit here and throw barbs at Ross Lyon but the fact is AFL Football is a big business. We dropped the ball on contract negotiations with Ross. Unlike players that come under a salary cap, coaches and football department staff can be offered 'market value'

I watched the Freo press conference and Ross was very business like. He has moved on. This is modern day football. We don't like it but its reality. I believe it is becoming more like pro sports in the U.S.

Our club needs to recognise these points and move on quickly. We are not 'victims' so lose the victim mentality and become more ruthless.
Absolutely spot on. Club won't get anywhere if it keeps playing the role of the victim.

mullet
Saintsational Legend

ChelseaGuy wrote:
Trunch wrote:We can sit here and throw barbs at Ross Lyon but the fact is AFL Football is a big business. We dropped the ball on contract negotiations with Ross. Unlike players that come under a salary cap, coaches and football department staff can be offered 'market value'

Absolutely spot on. Club won't get anywhere if it keeps playing the role of the victim.
when have they done this? Nettlefold said we are moving on. He was criticized for not showing more emotion by some on here. How are we playing the victims

ChelseaGuy
Club Player

mullet wrote:
ChelseaGuy wrote:

when have they done this? Nettlefold said we are moving on. He was criticized for not showing more emotion by some on here. How are we playing the victims
More a reflection on my view of the club historically. Agree that Nettleford has been practical in his reaction so far

Sainterman
Club Player

ChelseaGuy wrote:
mullet wrote:
ChelseaGuy wrote:

More a reflection on my view of the club historically. Agree that Nettleford has been practical in his reaction so far

Except that MN is half the reason this happened. Perhaps why he was so sheepish today!