Malthouse

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Ice Wolf
Club Player

ThePunter wrote:I would think after the events of the last 24 hours we would want someone with a track record of showing respect to the St Kilda Football Club.

The Club has acted honourably, and to now engage in a process to get Mick Malthouse would be a dishonourable process to employ a dishonourable man.

As I said on another thread, I'd have to sit down and think long and hard when my membership renewal arrived later this year if Malthouse was St Kilda's coach.
No one bar maybe Roos has a track record of showing respect to St Kilda unless we want to hire Danny Frawley (still Richmond's best coach in 30 yrs).

bozza1980
Club Player

St Loxton wrote:It would be an interesting first conversation between the two of them if it did happen. Would have to put it behind them.
Would be up there with Tony Lockett's first conversation with Peter Caven after joining the Swans on the awkward-metre.

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friends.
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

If we go after Mick Malthouse I'm not sure I can be bothered with AFL anymore.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
degruch
Saintsational Legend

bozza1980 wrote:
St Loxton wrote:It would be an interesting first conversation between the two of them if it did happen. Would have to put it behind them.
Would be up there with Tony Lockett's first conversation with Peter Caven after joining the Swans on the awkward-metre.
Did Caven go immediately to Adelaide? I'm pretty sure neither of them were at the club at the same time...but I could be wrong.

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

ThePunter wrote:No, Eddie would take us to court.

It would be interesting for the total meltdown from Eddie that would ensue.
It would be worth going after mm just to see fat Ed and all the filth mob explode.

I love this club
ThePunter
Club Player

One cannot criticise the process under which Lyon got to Freo, and then disregard the accepted process as it currently stands.

It is accepted that assistant coaches are always available for senior coaching roles, regardless of contract status.

Last I checked, Mick was not, or was about to be, an assistant coach.

Also, you have to do what you say, and the St Kilda Football Club should stand up for the accepted process, which was to engage Lyon's management, which we (and they) did in good faith.

Malthouse is contracted, and therefore unavailable.

That's before we go into how he treated a bloke who is probably in our greatest ever team, and will be inducted into the club's Hall of Fame. Or his hysterical rant about Matthew Capuano in 2003, which was also hugely disrespectful to the club.

We're not a gift you byu when you go legacy shopping - like the GWS job.

bozza1980
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
ThePunter wrote:I would think after the events of the last 24 hours we would want someone with a track record of showing respect to the St Kilda Football Club.

The Club has acted honourably, and to now engage in a process to get Mick Malthouse would be a dishonourable process to employ a dishonourable man.

As I said on another thread, I'd have to sit down and think long and hard when my membership renewal arrived later this year if Malthouse was St Kilda's coach.
Yep there is no doubt a few wont get another membership but there is also no doubt many more will join. Why would it be dishonourable to go after MM. He is contracted but so will many assistant coahes we will interview.
I would be suprised if the club did not speak with Malthouse's management about how "ironclad" his contract is with Collingwood.

I don't know what sort of price is put on inducing a person to break their contract, but in the event that the club came to the conclusion Malthouse was the man to lead us forward, they might see this figure as a kind of "transfer fee" to land the best man for the job.

This is all speculation mind you.

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friends.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ThePunter wrote:One cannot criticise the process under which Lyon got to Freo, and then disregard the accepted process as it currently stands.

It is accepted that assistant coaches are always available for senior coaching roles, regardless of contract status.

Last I checked, Mick was not, or was about to be, an assistant coach.

Also, you have to do what you say, and the St Kilda Football Club should stand up for the accepted process, which was to engage Lyon's management, which we (and they) did in good faith.

Malthouse is contracted, and therefore unavailable.

That's before we go into how he treated a bloke who is probably in our greatest ever team, and will be inducted into the club's Hall of Fame. Or his hysterical rant about Matthew Capuano in 2003, which was also hugely disrespectful to the club.

We're not a gift you byu when you go legacy shopping - like the GWS job.
As of the end of the footy season MM is contracted but not as a senior coach. He is contracted like other assistant coaches and as such is fair game especially since he is about 50 to one to take up that Pies role. If he isnt a senoir coach year he will be in the media. he is fair game.

Ice Wolf
Club Player

Stillwaiting wrote:

It would be worth going after mm just to see fat Ed and all the filth mob explode.
The histrionics coming from Eddie would almost make it worth if for that alone, then factoring in the reaction from the Collingwood ferals it would almost be too good to be true.

We've been pushed around by the bigger clubs for a long time, now even Fremantle has gotten into it, time to push the hell back.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Would it mean that we get 19 games in Melbourne, Anzac day, Queens birthday and the best out of contract players in the comp would not speak to any other clubs so that we could pick them up late in the draft?

Mark Thompson won 2 flags and I don't think he was a great coach, I'm not sold on Malthouse either, he has been gifted a lot more time than most, GT might have won 2 aswell had he been given 10 years and better resources...

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

Malthouse at 8/1 to be next Saints coach. Mind you Sportsbet has R.Harvey at 3/1.

G.T. at 41/1 to resurect coaching career.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Malthouse was in charge of an under-performing bottom of the ladder Collingwood side for years - his success is due to his star players, especially an attacking star studded half back line - and we saw what happened when it was largely missing recently - we saw Collingwood were flogged by Geelong.

Every top side has good midfielders - but Collingwood has an incredible run and carry half back line... that has no equal.

Players make coaches. FULL STOP. His half back line has made MM a successful coach.

We need to get the best recruiters money can buy -
but as far as coaches are concerned -I reckon we should go for someone's understudy with no baggage - not a big name, some prima donna with an ego who thinks he can wave his magic wand.

Players would respond better to a down to earth committed person... not a highly paid egotist.

FortiusQuoFidelius
Club Player

How could Eddie take us to court? I dont believe we have any legal obligations to Eddie or the Collingwood football club!

:roll:

Rosco
Club Player

degruch wrote:
bozza1980 wrote:
Did Caven go immediately to Adelaide? I'm pretty sure neither of them were at the club at the same time...but I could be wrong.
started in adelaide in 1996, so they overlapped during 1995

ThePunter
Club Player

Also Greg Williams and David Rhys-Jones were both at Carlton in 1992.

DRJ has still never forgiven Williams, while forgiving every other bloke who belted him (most famously Denis Banks).

Munga
Saintsational Legend

Mick would have to exit Collingwood first before we can offer him anything. Otherwise Eddie will puff his chest, go purple and take us to the cleaners.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
Saints 2012
Club Player

No way Malthouse will be at St Kilda, we don't have the funds, resouces or list that is needed to sign him.

Brenton Sanderson, is the ideal candidate

Ice Wolf
Club Player

Munga wrote:Mick would have to exit Collingwood first before we can offer him anything. Otherwise Eddie will puff his chest, go purple and take us to the cleaners.
This isn't about Eddie, If St Kilda Football Club, thinks Malthouse is the right person for the job then they should do whatever it takes, thats what Collingwood, Carlton and Essendon would do (in fact Collingwood did it to get Malthouse in the first place) and is definitely what Fremantle did.

Saints Angel
Club Player

I have been told of whispers going on from the SANFL that Malthouse or Roos will coaching St. Kilda next year. Will have to wait and see how factual it is. Just putting it out there Sainters.

savatage
SS Life Member

Saints Angel wrote:I have been told of whispers going on from the SANFL that Malthouse or Roos will coaching St. Kilda next year. Will have to wait and see how factual it is. Just putting it out there Sainters.
Let me give you a tip...any murmerings at this stage have been pulled out of someone's arse....we only JUST found out about this yesterday...they would be lucky to have had a board meeting by this point let alone sounded out replacements....

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Saints Angel wrote:I have been told of whispers going on from the SANFL that Malthouse or Roos will coaching St. Kilda next year. Will have to wait and see how factual it is. Just putting it out there Sainters.
Am I missing something...have the Saints been religated to the SANFL??? Surely we're not that bad!?!

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
Am I missing something...have the Saints been religated to the SANFL??? Surely we're not that bad!?!
And people complained about moving to Seaford :shock:

markp
Saintsational Legend

Cant see us going after him in light of the broken contract thing, not after the lyon mess.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Get Lovett.

He owes us big time!

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:Get Lovett.

He owes us big time!
your really stiring the pot spaceman :D

I love this club