Elite Sportsmen vs. Mad Monday

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

mordi
Club Player

Elite Sportsmen vs. Mad Monday

I dont mind the concept of the guys having a day/night out at seasons end... but should we condone ongoing boozeups ( I believe this week has been very BIG ). Is there a culture issue? As we heard in testimony in court.....Scheinder ( and others) having some massive sessions even in December.

I'm not a wowser, but should we expect the team to behave like elite athletes?

Maybe give us that extra 1%...

anyway, food for thought.

What's the Point of it All?
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Re: Elite Sportsmen vs. Mad Monday

mordi wrote:I dont mind the concept of the guys having a day/night out at seasons end... but should we condone ongoing boozeups ( I believe this week has been very BIG ). Is there a culture issue? As we heard in testimony in court.....Scheinder ( and others) having some massive sessions even in December.

Whys that?
Last edited by clarky449 on Thu 15 Sep 2011 4:48pm, edited 1 time in total.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

The Saints footballers have completely changed over the last 15 years. They were out every Saturday night after a game and at the Edgy on Wednesday nights nearly every week. Now they do not go out most nights after a game and if they do they usually dont drink much at all. They tend to just go around to anothers players house. They finish the season and want to relax and as long as it is done in private which mad Monday usually is I dont see a problem. It will not effect the next season and even though they get 8 weeks off it is really only about 2 and then they have to start their private program for the next season. Let them have their own mad Monday as long as they dont create any problems.

savatage
SS Life Member

Plugger is spot on.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:The Saints footballers have completely changed over the last 15 years. They were out every Saturday night after a game and at the Edgy on Wednesday nights nearly every week. Now they do not go out most nights after a game and if they do they usually dont drink much at all. They tend to just go around to anothers players house. They finish the season and want to relax and as long as it is done in private which mad Monday usually is I dont see a problem. It will not effect the next season and even though they get 8 weeks off it is really only about 2 and then they have to start their private program for the next season. Let them have their own mad Monday as long as they dont create any problems.
Fully agree.
Whose house do they go to now, used to be Black's a long time ago.....

mordi
Club Player

Re: Elite Sportsmen vs. Mad Monday

clarky449 wrote:
mordi wrote:I dont mind the concept of the guys having a day/night out at seasons end... but should we condone ongoing boozeups ( I believe this week has been very BIG ). Is there a culture issue? As we heard in testimony in court.....Scheinder ( and others) having some massive sessions even in December.

Whys that?
good sources.....

but it goes further......the Lovett case revealed some serious drinking in December "Adam Schneider confesses to having 17-23 drinks for the night, perhaps more."

All I'm asking is should we expect more.....if we want the ultimate success.

mordi
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:The Saints footballers have completely changed over the last 15 years. They were out every Saturday night after a game and at the Edgy on Wednesday nights nearly every week. Now they do not go out most nights after a game and if they do they usually dont drink much at all. They tend to just go around to anothers players house. They finish the season and want to relax and as long as it is done in private which mad Monday usually is I dont see a problem. It will not effect the next season and even though they get 8 weeks off it is really only about 2 and then they have to start their private program for the next season. Let them have their own mad Monday as long as they dont create any problems.
btw - I'm not talking about causing problems.....its more about performing like elite athletes. Should they be hitting the booze in December?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:
Fully agree.
I dont know but I can definately say it is mine. Maybe it is yours.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
maverick wrote:
Fully agree.
I dont know but I can definately say it is mine. Maybe it is yours.
Maybe we are all here now, Ross isn't though, I think he is at his brother Gary's house

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

The players can do what the f*** they like in their time off. I'm sick of the morbid and often holier than thou fascination in how they spend their two weeks of respite. It's as if some folks are hanging out for them to stuff up. It's very, very, VERY weird.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

If any of the boys manage to stuff up (think NZ, not SSG) I reckon Ross will go....2012 contract or otherwise.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:If any of the boys manage to stuff up (think NZ, not SSG) I reckon Ross will go....2012 contract or otherwise.
And so he should!

Seriously, if he can't control them this time around then maybe he's not the man for the job. If any of them do the NZ thing again, then it'd be a fair guess to say he doesn't have their respect.

Having said that, by now we all know that last year's 'pre-season from hell' was a total farce anyway.

The NZ was the only thing worth any sort of concern.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
SainterK wrote:If any of the boys manage to stuff up (think NZ, not SSG) I reckon Ross will go....2012 contract or otherwise.
And so he should!

Seriously, if he can't control them this time around then maybe he's not the man for the job. If any of them do the NZ thing again, then it'd be a fair guess to say he doesn't have their respect.

Having said that, by now we all know that last year's 'pre-season from hell' was a total farce anyway.

The NZ was the only thing worth any sort of concern.
If they can't control themselves, maybe their not the players for the job, and they have no respect for themselves!

Honestly.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Whenever I read or hear people saying that footballers shouldn't go around in groups in the off-season getting plastered, getting into fights, harassing women, urinating in public places and generally misbehaving, I find I have two simultaneous reactions

1. I agree, it shouldn't happen

2. It's going to happen whether I like it or not: get real!!

These are testosterone- and endorphin-filled young alpha males who have been denying themselves many things for months on end and who are suddenly let loose for a brief window before it's back into the hard work and self-denial.

What would one expect is going to happen: they're all going to head off to a meditation retreat for a few weeks and then come back and enrol in a few adult education classes (well, yes, I know Harry O'Brien would probably want to do that, but he's a bit unusual)......?
Last edited by meher baba on Thu 15 Sep 2011 5:59pm, edited 1 time in total.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:
Fully agree.
Grammy's 8-)

bozza1980
Club Player

I'm not sure what level of professionalism you are after.

For 10+ months they are expected to train (and or play) on 6 days of every week. Huge restrictions apply to how they decide to spend their spare time and huge penalties apply if they do not abide by these restrictions.

On top of this, they have 4 weeks off every year and at the end of this time they have to report to work in an agreed physical condition having completed a club enforced training programme throughout their break.

I think at the end of the day we are expecting a lot more than is reasonable if we expect players to behave as monks 365 days a year.

Is drinking 25 beers on Christmas Eve a great decision, probably not, is it the sign of a culture of unprofessionalism, no.

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friends.