Zac Dawson

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbob
SS Life Member

Bernard Shakey wrote:He is absolutely useless one on one and relies on teamates to get him out of trouble.
People talk about the number of goals his opponents like Cloke, Buddy, Petrie etc kick on him. It's always because we double and triple team them that they don't kick many against us. If we had a decent full back we'd be able to generate more drive from defense.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, we will never win a premiership with Dawson in the team.
+1

Little Dozer
Club Player
Location: Forward Pocket, Outer side, Linton Street end or bay 38 Waverley

Re: Zac Dawson

joffaboy wrote:
Spinner wrote:
Little Dozer wrote:Zac appears to have a future at St Kilda, but should he? Since a surprising decent first up 2009 season when the team was on fire he's really struggled.

His numbers have declined dramatically since 2009, he gives away a stack of free kicks, gets muscled off the ball far too easily by opponents with moderate ability and is limited to one position on the ground.

For mine full-back is a huge weakness, Zac has to go.

s*** post.
But nothing different from this poster unfortunately.
Great argument. I said Zac appears to have a future at St Kilda, and that's only because RL is coach. If RL left, Zac would be finished, no AFL club, not even GWS would take him. Hopefully we can groom someone else on the list to play full-back or trade to fill the position.

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

Little Dozer wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
Spinner wrote:
Little Dozer wrote:Zac appears to have a future at St Kilda, but should he? Since a surprising decent first up 2009 season when the team was on fire he's really struggled.

His numbers have declined dramatically since 2009, he gives away a stack of free kicks, gets muscled off the ball far too easily by opponents with moderate ability and is limited to one position on the ground.

s*** post.
Great argument. I said Zac appears to have a future at St Kilda, and that's only because RL is coach. If RL left, Zac would be finished, no AFL club, not even GWS would take him. Hopefully we can groom someone else on the list to play full-back or trade to fill the position.
Another sensible post :roll:

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Little Dozer wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
Spinner wrote:

s*** post.

GWS and GC wouldnt take him?

wow

Do people just see the end result regarding backline players? Do they not understand a lot of their work goes unnoticed because they are in position and dont let the FF escape and as a result they ball isnt kicked to the FF as an option...

Most of the times Zac gets beaten one on one is when he is playing the zone and the ball comes quickly. Except against Cloke. Who is beating most FB's at the moment.

Instead of people whinging. State a solution. Who plays full back that is on our list. And if no one... Who will you trade for, and what with.

Because going to the trade table to get another defender wont improve us one single bit in 2012.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

He must be pretty bad if his management is fielding offers

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

this is classic. Zac bashing. good lord. where's the Raph thread?

what a joke.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
The_Merchant
Club Player

Have heard a strong rumour that Zac is seriously thinking about an offer from GWS. Looking at property in Breakfast Point with the rest of the team.

If at first you don't succeed, sky diving is not for you.
westy
Club Player

saintbob wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:He is absolutely useless one on one and relies on teamates to get him out of trouble.
People talk about the number of goals his opponents like Cloke, Buddy, Petrie etc kick on him. It's always because we double and triple team them that they don't kick many against us. If we had a decent full back we'd be able to generate more drive from defense.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, we will never win a premiership with Dawson in the team.
+1
What a load of Ken Crap

I'm livin' in a madhouse
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Rubbish Bernie.

IF people actually watched the way that Zac uses his body to work his opponents out of contests they would see how good he actually is.

Supporters need to realise that at AFL level forwards will occasionally outmark their opponents. Petrie monstered most of his opponents this year & certainly did take big strong grabs against Zac.

It's a cheap & easy excuse to say he always gets help so he's no good. Under that reckoning Harry Taylor, Scarlett, Ben Reid & every other gun defender is no good.

He looks unco & his kicking has dropped away alarmingly... that's Zac's biggest issue in my opinion. His defending is solid & better than any other potential FB on our list.

Little Dozer
Club Player
Location: Forward Pocket, Outer side, Linton Street end or bay 38 Waverley

millarsaint wrote:this is classic. Zac bashing. good lord. where's the Raph thread?

what a joke.
Bashing? This thread is hardly bashing the guy. I've acknowledged he's almost certain to stay as Lyon will be coach next season. That doesn't mean he's immune from discussion. We can do much better, and hopefully we'll trade for or groom someone else for full-back. Still if you're happy seeing Zac get destroyed by VFL standard players like O'hailpin, monstered by everyone else and give away clumsy free-kicks at will, good luck to you.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Animal Enclosure wrote:
Rubbish Bernie.

IF people actually watched the way that Zac uses his body to work his opponents out of contests they would see how good he actually is.

Supporters need to realise that at AFL level forwards will occasionally outmark their opponents. Petrie monstered most of his opponents this year & certainly did take big strong grabs against Zac.

It's a cheap & easy excuse to say he always gets help so he's no good. Under that reckoning Harry Taylor, Scarlett, Ben Reid & every other gun defender is no good.

He looks unco & his kicking has dropped away alarmingly... that's Zac's biggest issue in my opinion. His defending is solid & better than any other potential FB on our list.

Zac's kicking is fine.

Nice left foot.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Goes alright against the gun forwards because he gets lots of help. Plays poorly against the mediocre forwards because its expected that he doesn't need help therefor doesn't. Quite simply, he's a horrible one on one player with poor decision making ability. Saying that he's probably our best FB just not our future.

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

Little Dozer wrote:
millarsaint wrote:this is classic. Zac bashing. good lord. where's the Raph thread?

what a joke.
Bashing? This thread is hardly bashing the guy. I've acknowledged he's almost certain to stay as Lyon will be coach next season. That doesn't mean he's immune from discussion. We can do much better, and hopefully we'll trade for or groom someone else for full-back. Still if you're happy seeing Zac get destroyed by VFL standard players like O'hailpin, monstered by everyone else and give away clumsy free-kicks at will, good luck to you.
it is bashing don't bull me. calling the guy absolutely useless etc.. it's just rubbish. arially (?) he is outstanding (hence using him in the ruck and forward) and has even taken some good grabs last few weeks which in my opinion is a development for him. check out his one percenter stats.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
spert
Saintsational Legend

Zac gets help from his team-mates in the backline for this reason- ITS A BLOODY TEAM GAME..OK!

Griggsy
SS Life Member

1%'s stat for 2011

1st Zac Dawson with 140

2nd Sam Fisher with 100

3rd Gilbert 93

btw that is 8th in the league

That's a pretty large deficit, I guess these things are harder to notice than the odd mistake. Also I doubt people would have as much problem with him if it wasn't for our kick back method of play, gives them their moment where they can collectively groan when Zac and Raph get the ball.