Captaincy 2012

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
spert wrote:Probably the crappiest year by any captain I can think of.
What about Harley when Geelong last won the flag and what about Maxwell this year when they will win the flag.
Plugs - you are just strengthenging the argument against Nick as captain. yes i know you win the purest of the pure and saintliest of the saints MVP every year and good for you - but Harley and Maxwell personify the team first approach to being captain. neither of them are "stars". Guys like Cloke, Swan, Franklin, pendles and Bartel are genuine stars - but none of them seem to care they are not captain.
What you and many others are doing is reverting to the old Saints paradigm . Have we learnt nothing?

The old Saints paradigm that makes the Saints the Saints - champion worship and pedestals. The old - dont worry about team success along as we have a "champion" and "star" to feel good about. Well Screw that.
We all admire Roos courage and the way he throws himself at marks - but give me a boring effective no frills forward like Jason Dunstall any day of the week. When Roo talks in interviews - personally I cringe every time. Hes not a natural leader. Rather than champ worship lets put the team first.
I would seriously look at Sean Dempster for captain. The guy personifies team spirit. As I said before - Swan and Cloke and Bartel dont seem to sook about not being captain or that they are much better players than the captain - so why should our stars sook?
Lets put the team before the champ worship. And yes - I am dead serious about Dempster. Mock me at your leisure.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Tue 13 Sep 2011 2:10am, edited 2 times in total.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Con Gorozidis wrote:Lets put the team before the champ worship. And yes - I am dead serious about Dempster. Mock me at your leisure.
Mature, sets an example, admired by the playing group. I like it.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
repta
Club Player

Riewaldt should not be the captain. He is mentally soft. He will become a better player if he relinquishes the captaincy. He is an on field leader and will always be. However when it counts he does not stand up. He doesnt kick the goals that he should, doesnt stand up in finals.
Lenny is the natural captain, he has a killer about him that is missing from Riewaldt. Goddard has the killer in him but is far too moody to be captain. Would like to see Fisher take a more active role (he plays a good General).
Take the captaincy from Riewaldt so he can focus on becoming a Great of the game, as he is now drifting into being just a "good player". Great Mark, wonderful courage, endurance is outstanding and cant fault the desire, but cant do it when it counts.

rexy
SS Life Member

s*** thread, Roo is skipper, only should be taken off him if the coaching and playing group feel he is no longer displaying the leadership qualities that got him the job! Nothing to do with form IMO.

Maybe this year?
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

rexy wrote:s*** thread, Roo is skipper, only should be taken off him if the coaching and playing group feel he is no longer displaying the leadership qualities that got him the job! Nothing to do with form IMO.
so what is the playing group telling you?

spert
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
spert wrote:
dcstkfc wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
spert wrote:Probably the crappiest year by any captain I can think of.
What about Harley when Geelong last won the flag and what about Maxwell this year when they will win the flag.
Obviously haven't seen much of Melbourne this year spert.
Not really interested in Melbourne or any other club, just our club and the lack of leadership this year once Lenny went down.
So it is the crapiest year of any Saints captain. I reckon there may be a few ahead of him. Also dont know your age but you have probably only seen about 6 captains.
Lets see, my memory goes back to being in the outer at Moorabbin 1968 and numerous years on Saturday afternoons standing in the rain watching good and bad. This year is one of the least impressive of any Saint captain
I have seen when so much should have been possible, body language terrible etc..so if you don't want sacred cows criticised, read elsewhere.