2012 - The new start

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

DWOODROW
Club Player

2012 - The new start

People have asked for a rebuild, people have asked for de listings and people have asked to an extent a new coaching panel.

I think their may be a chance some prayers have been answered.

The St kilda football club will be different next year for many reasons and in my opinion for the better.

Now the younger players will finally get a chance to show their skills.

Don't let the door hit your arse on the way out

Leo.J
SS Life Member

Interesting???

You obviously know something Dwood.

Personally I don't like the sound of where it's going.
Last edited by Leo.J on Sun 11 Sep 2011 12:11pm, edited 1 time in total.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: 2012 - The new start

DWOODROW wrote:Now the younger players will finally get a chance to show their skills.
one would hope so.

I'm plonking Walsh at ff in my Round 1 team with Riewoldt (hopefully fit and relieved of the burden of the captaincy) back at chf.

Sipposs, Ledger, Cripps etc all under consideration.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
DWOODROW wrote:Now the younger players will finally get a chance to show their skills.
one would hope so.

I'm plonking Walsh at ff in my Round 1 team with Riewoldt (hopefully fit and relieved of the burden of the captaincy) back at chf.

How did Walsh play in next season practice matches and who is our new captain that would take all this supposed pressure?

matrix
Saintsational Legend

kozi at chf back
roo at chf
tommy at ff
sipp up forward with milne

Joffa 5
Club Player

DWOODROW wrote:
Now that's an interesting post by someone close to the club :o

Joffa 5
Club Player

Particularly seeing DROW wasn't impressed with the 4 year apprenticeship.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Wonder if we'll pick

Shane Tuck with pick 94
And
Tom hislop with pick 101

DWOODROW
Club Player

Joffa 5 wrote:
DWOODROW wrote:
Now that's an interesting post by someone close to the club :o
Well I haven't spoken to the person I have close to the club. He has been having a few after game beverages to drown his bitter disappointment and heartbreak at losing last night.

I am wishing hoping and had a dream so to speak.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
one would hope so.

How did Walsh play in next season practice matches and who is our new captain that would take all this supposed pressure?
He played just as well in next season's practice matches as he did in Sandringham's final few games ... very well.

We should have rolled the dice on him as it is blatantly obvious to all concerned that the "kick-it-to-Roo" game plan has had its day.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Wonder if we'll pick

Shane Tuck with pick 94
And
Tom hislop with pick 101
Tuck got a new contract from a side that is rebuilding. You would think he would be delisted as he cant kick it.

DWOODROW
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
one would hope so.

He played just as well in next season's practice matches as he did in Sandringham's final few games ... very well.

We should have rolled the dice on him as it is blatantly obvious to all concerned that the "kick-it-to-Roo" game plan has had its day.
Even when the kick it to Roo thing did work poor Roo couldn't kick a goal to save himself.
He wouldn't be happy with it but it is reality. He definitely needed someone else up their with him.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

I expect the club will cut deep, but not all at once... more likely to be a 2-3 year plan...

What I liked about the start of this season was the opportunities given at the selection table. Injuries to the younger players curtailed that, but hopefully the maturing bodies and another pre-season will give us all a better look at them next year.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Geez Woodrow, you know we all jump at anything that looks like inside info. I thought Ross was gone. Roo retired, Lenny hung up the boots, Gilbert to GWS etc. all from an ambiguous comment.

DWOODROW
Club Player

gringo wrote:Geez Woodrow, you know we all jump at anything that looks like inside info. I thought Ross was gone. Roo retired, Lenny hung up the boots, Gilbert to GWS etc. all from an ambiguous comment.
Well keep an eye on the news. :wink:

gringo
Saintsational Legend

DWOODROW wrote:
gringo wrote:Geez Woodrow, you know we all jump at anything that looks like inside info. I thought Ross was gone. Roo retired, Lenny hung up the boots, Gilbert to GWS etc. all from an ambiguous comment.
Well keep an eye on the news. :wink:
There you go again-so Harvey is the new coach huh?

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

I think "end of an era" means Lyon has already acknowledged change is necessary. In 2008 we got smashed in the Prelim by the Hawks and he went back to the drawing board over summer and rebuilt our game plan. It nearly brought us a flag in 2009. He believed in it so much he essentially changed nothing for 2010 - only to fall agonizingly close. ditto for 2011 except now the game has moved on, clubs have adapted and we are back in the pack. Opposition clubs have worked us out, our poor disposers have been exposed.

To go forward there must be change - game plan and players. Will be interesting to watch what unfolds.

For the record I hope he stays, has a good hard look at every players strengths and weaknesses and makes some radical changes.

“If you want the rainbow you gotta put up with rain” Dolly Parton
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

The 2012 Team...my prediction.

23 % From Youth plus players like perhaps Tommy

* Cripps, Ledger, Sippos, Curren...Tommy, Stanley...and new draft picks

% may be a bit higher if more come on.

72% From the 2011 22

5% A player from another club

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Unfortunately, it is not as simple as out with the old - in with the new. It takes "years" to get the "new" up to top AFL level (ne Melbourne).

I think that we owe it our current top 6, not to mention membership impact, not to bottom out by delisting everyone else, as it takes time to rebuild. A compromised draft for the next two years, doesn't help either.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Junction Oval wrote:Unfortunately, it is not as simple as out with the old - in with the new. It takes "years" to get the "new" up to top AFL level (ne Melbourne).

I think that we owe it our current top 6, not to mention membership impact, not to bottom out by delisting everyone else, as it takes time to rebuild. A compromised draft for the next two years, doesn't help either.
Forget about owing it to anyone, it would be stupid to get rid of any more than 7 or 8.

West Coast were spooners last year. You don't need to re-build to improve.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

We're caught in an awkward position in 2012; it's the last year where our core is likely to perform at its peak yet it's also probably one year before the next crop (Ledger, Siposs, Cripps) are ready to be full time AFL regulars. Our only hope is to fast track their development and recruit some readymade, GOOD senior players from other clubs.

Our shocking drafting from 2003-2006 is really hurting us now as we have a giant age gap between the kids (19-21) coming up and the rest of the list. We have very few in the 22-25 age bracket who should be approaching their prime.

The group of players around the 8-10 guns is a major concern as well. Names that featured quite often in the senior side this year like Ray, Peake, Polo, Gamble, Geary, Clarke, Gram, Jones and Gilbert all have major deficiencies and would have been pushed out by youth at teams like Collingwood and Geelong. All of them have strengths, but the common theme there is poor disposal and decision making. I'm not sure whether any of those players will be a significant positive force in the next St Kilda flag assault.

I do like to think we have one last crack in 2012, but after that I think we're in for at least four years of struggling when Lenny, Milne, Roo, Dal, Joey, Fisher and Kosi come to the end of their careers.

The question for now is, do we have the cattle to make an impact next year?

B: Gwilt, Dawson, Dempster
HB: Fisher, Blake, Goddard
C: Montagna, Hayes, Ledger
HF: Schneider, Riewoldt, Peake
F: Milne, Koschitzke, Siposs

Foll: McEvoy, Dal Santo, Steven
Int: Cripps, Ray, Armitage, Lynch

That team would suggest we need to do some fairly agressive recruiting this summer.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:
That team would suggest we need to do some fairly agressive recruiting this summer.
How? You talking trades?

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

DWOODROW wrote:Don't let the door hit your arse on the way out
I hope thats not meant for Ross Lyon - cause while I know you have issue with him hes also the best AFL coach going round atm and if u take a look at what else is availabel.....we'll be in the wilderness for a long time.

“Yeah….nah””
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

dcstkfc wrote:
mad saint guy wrote:That team would suggest we need to do some fairly agressive recruiting this summer.
How? You talking trades?
I'm talking dirty Luke Ball style deals. Throw some money at disgruntled players who decide they want to play at St Kilda and come cheap because it's all the player will agree to.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:
dcstkfc wrote:
mad saint guy wrote:That team would suggest we need to do some fairly agressive recruiting this summer.
How? You talking trades?
I'm talking dirty Luke Ball style deals. Throw some money at disgruntled players who decide they want to play at St Kilda and come cheap because it's all the player will agree to.
Why would anyone want to come to us at the moment?