Selection conundrums

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Whatever the selection we will have the usual suspects remarking "WTF is going on", others telling us "RL has no fkn idea", and still others bemoaning the fact "Tommy Walsh should have been playing since R8 and we have wasted another year".

When we eventiually lose, they will all be out saying "I told you so" and the offseason madness will begin, and continue to late February.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
degruch
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Whatever the selection we will have the usual suspects remarking "WTF is going on", others telling us "RL has no fkn idea", and still others bemoaning the fact "Tommy Walsh should have been playing since R8 and we have wasted another year".

When we eventiually lose, they will all be out saying "I told you so" and the offseason madness will begin, and continue to late February.
.......a little of this.......FFS :roll: :roll: :roll: :wink:

A LOT OF THIS!!! :roll: :roll: :roll:

...and plenty of flogs, muppets and cabbages.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
joffaboy wrote:Whatever the selection we will have the usual suspects remarking "WTF is going on", others telling us "RL has no fkn idea", and still others bemoaning the fact "Tommy Walsh should have been playing since R8 and we have wasted another year".

Garbage.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
degruch wrote:

Garbage.
You know it makes sense.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
degruch wrote:

Garbage.
You know it makes sense.
I know nothing and many can vouch for that. At least I know I know nothing where as some think they know something when they actaully know nothing. I have now know I have nothing more to say.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
degruch wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
degruch wrote:

Garbage.
You know it makes sense.
I know nothing and many can vouch for that. At least I know I know nothing where as some think they know something when they actaully know nothing. I have now know I have nothing more to say.
Are you saying you know something about nothing?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
degruch wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
degruch wrote:

Garbage.
You know it makes sense.
If you think you know nothing, that is at least one thing you know.

Your 21,882 post indicate that you think you know something.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
degruch
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
degruch wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
degruch wrote:

Garbage.
You know it makes sense.

This Saturday's team, Melbourne's new coach and Tuesday night's lotto numbers?

Saint_Ash
Club Player
Location: Either work, home or the footy, maybe a pub somewhere

degruch wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
degruch wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
degruch wrote:

Garbage.
You know it makes sense.

This Saturday's team, Melbourne's new coach and Tuesday night's lotto numbers?
Do you mind sharing those lotto numbers??

What doesn't kill us only makes us stronger.
PJ
SS Life Member

Hurricane wrote:
Rosco wrote:
Saint_Ash wrote:Give Mac a crack!

Sure he got beaten by Mumford a couple of weeks ago, but he along with many others in the team were sick. Remember that Kosi pulled out leaving Mac as the sole genuine ruckman. It was probably the choice of pulling out Kosi or Mac as we couldn't afford to go in without 1 genuine ruckman.
^ this
I third this statement.

Personally, if I was making the call I would bring in Armo for Geary. Pretty much like for like.

Ray stays sub as when he came on the game swung our way. Farren is teh perfect 3rd quarter sub. Quick with goo ball use and can give us an edge when the game is in the balance or there to be won.

BANG BANG
Farren had no impact on the game what so ever.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
saintbob
SS Life Member

Big Mac and Gardi will stay in to combat Mumford, and I reckon Zac will lose his spot to Armo becuase of the lack of big forwards in the Sydney team.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

saintbob wrote:Big Mac and Gardi will stay in to combat Mumford, and I reckon Zac will lose his spot to Armo becuase of the lack of big forwards in the Sydney team.
Zac has had some poor games over the past few years but never been dropped… so there is no way Zac will be dropped now, he is our only full back, Ross absolutely loves him and Sydney have White, Spangher & Reid who will need minding.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
saintbob wrote:Big Mac and Gardi will stay in to combat Mumford, and I reckon Zac will lose his spot to Armo becuase of the lack of big forwards in the Sydney team.
Zac has had some poor games over the past few years but never been dropped… so there is no way Zac will be dropped now, he is our only full back, Ross absolutely loves him and Sydney have White, Spangher & Reid who will need minding.
Zac's "poor games" have generally not come at Finals time 8-)

dragit
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:
Hurricane wrote:
Rosco wrote:
Saint_Ash wrote:Give Mac a crack!

Sure he got beaten by Mumford a couple of weeks ago, but he along with many others in the team were sick. Remember that Kosi pulled out leaving Mac as the sole genuine ruckman. It was probably the choice of pulling out Kosi or Mac as we couldn't afford to go in without 1 genuine ruckman.
^ this
I third this statement.

Personally, if I was making the call I would bring in Armo for Geary. Pretty much like for like.

Ray stays sub as when he came on the game swung our way. Farren is teh perfect 3rd quarter sub. Quick with goo ball use and can give us an edge when the game is in the balance or there to be won.

BANG BANG
Farren had no impact on the game what so ever.
7 touches says your right… It's funny because when Gears comes on for a half and has 13 touches and a few tackles people say he didn't do enough… Hope he holds his spot, I think he has the mettle for finals and we'll need contested animals against Sydney.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Your forgetting who was sub last week. The sub is usually closest to being chopped.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Out: Geary, Dawson
In: Armo, Tommy Walsh (our secret finals weapon) :)

Austinnn
Club Player

This is all playing into Sydney's hands; get ourselves too concerned with ruck, neglect other areas. Focus!

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
FQF
SS Life Member

If Mac and Kosi can adequately deal with Nic Nat and Cox, then surely Mumford is not insurmountable.

Dawson stays in, it would totally whack up our structure to pull him out, and he is slightly (very slightly) versatile if he really is being jobless in the back.

Dempster will surely be first choice in Goodes, and always would have been. Obviously we weren't going to use him on Goodes a couple of weeks ago because Goodes would have worked him out for the one that counts.

Armo in for Gardiner.

Blake or Ray as the sub.

Geary is required.

Broodruff
Club Player

I was having a chat with a mate about team selection... Last week we felt a bit imbalanced, pretty heavy in defence... here's what I reakon would be best for team structure (taking "too many changes" out of the equation that is)

Gardiner, Gram and one tall defender out (blake, dawson or gilbert)
Ray in the main squat, armo and gamble in with some leg speed in the green vest!

Richter
SS Life Member

mad saint guy wrote:Gardiner came in, showed that he can still handle the pace and get a kick. That's all we really needed from him and now I think he's insurance if we progress through the finals and McEvoy goes down. Note that our forward line functioned much better in the second half when Gards was subbed off and we weren't trying to cram Roo, Kosi and one of Gards/McEvoy in there at all times.

Of course there's the argument that he could again ruck for 75% of the first 70 minutes of game time and then be subbed off to allow a fresh McEvoy to run Mumford ragged, but if we were to get an injury then we've got a lumbering dinosaur dead on his feet for the rest of the match.

I think we should play it safe and just bring Armo in for Gards. But if anyone else is dropped from the team it should be Gram, who was again woeful on Saturday night.
Yep.

Apart from Gram, who I'm ok with being in the team.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Austinnn wrote:This is all playing into Sydney's hands; get ourselves too concerned with ruck, neglect other areas. Focus!
Yes, I'm sure the players and coaching staff are trawling through our speculative posts and pondering them all day while their knees go week and they collectively s*** themselves....

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Interesting to read Mumfords take on this, said Gardi is alot stronger than Ben...

So perhaps the thinking is along the right lines, if Mumford feels he can throw his weight around when it comes to Ben?

stkfc1
Club Player

SainterK wrote:Interesting to read Mumfords take on this, said Gardi is alot stronger than Ben...

So perhaps the thinking is along the right lines, if Mumford feels he can throw his weight around when it comes to Ben?

Shane Mumford
#41 Sydney Swans
Height: 199cm Weight: 105kg Position: Ruck

Ben McEvoy
#5 St Kilda Saints
Height: 200cm Weight: 98kg Position: Ruck

Michael S. Gardiner
#15 St Kilda Saints
Height: 199cm Weight: 105kg Position: Ruck

Not surprising.Ben's still aways off Mummy. Big difference in a 22 year old and a 25 year old strength wise considering also Ben's 7kg lighter,(not that these stats,off AFL website, are gospel).
Mummy might regret saying this in 2 years time though as Ben is still a couple of preseasons away from being close to reaching his full potential. Once he puts on that extra 5-10 kilos,and develops his core strength....Look out!

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Interesting to read Mumfords take on this, said Gardi is alot stronger than Ben...

may be a ploy to force us into a slow, unbalanced side. who knows.