Plunge on Lyon to coach Dee's.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
meher baba wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:
SteveStevens66 wrote:For what it's worth, and it might not be much, Nettlefold was on SEN with KB this morning. He was asked if Ross would be staying with the Saints and he replied "We hope so." KB said that was a remarkable response, one that indicated that there might be some truth to the rumours. Nettlefold rushed to clarify his remarks, saying, among things, that it would be dealt with after the finals.
In these types of scenarios, you'd damned if you do, and damned if you don't.

No matter they say, people will interpret it anyway they like. In this case, people will interpret anything that is said by either party as 'those loser Saints lose a good person as usual'.
As I intimated on the other thread, Nettlefold could have tried saying something like "the club is 100% committed to Saturday's game against the Swans and none of us, including Ross, will have any time to think about - let alone talk about - his contract: which, in any case, is until the end of 2012." I don't know wny he didn't say that: I certainly would have done.
Sounds like you have a job as a political advisor waiting...give Julia a buzz. Not everyone is as savvy.
Been there, done that...never again, thanks!!

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
SENsei
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:
degruch wrote:
meher baba wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:
SteveStevens66 wrote:For what it's worth, and it might not be much, Nettlefold was on SEN with KB this morning. He was asked if Ross would be staying with the Saints and he replied "We hope so." KB said that was a remarkable response, one that indicated that there might be some truth to the rumours. Nettlefold rushed to clarify his remarks, saying, among things, that it would be dealt with after the finals.

No matter they say, people will interpret it anyway they like. In this case, people will interpret anything that is said by either party as 'those loser Saints lose a good person as usual'.
As I intimated on the other thread, Nettlefold could have tried saying something like "the club is 100% committed to Saturday's game against the Swans and none of us, including Ross, will have any time to think about - let alone talk about - his contract: which, in any case, is until the end of 2012." I don't know wny he didn't say that: I certainly would have done.
Sounds like you have a job as a political advisor waiting...give Julia a buzz. Not everyone is as savvy.
MB - admit it. You came up with the 'no child will live in poverty by 1990 line' didn't you? It's ok. You are amongst friends!

SteveStevens66
Club Player

degruch wrote:
meher baba wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:

It is true that the remarks can be interpreted anyway one wishes to hear them but Johnny Member is also correct insofar as Nettlefold's response was clumsy. He doesn't get paid to be clumsy. He should have known he'd be asked and he needed to have a stock standard and appropriate answer at the ready. He didn't and that is unfortunate and unsettling.

Carna Saints!!!
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:

But why does he need to?

Does the club care about speculation one iota, if it isn't true? This isn't politics where public opinion matters.

I don't think it matters at all. What they say publicly, may put the fans at ease - but aside from that what they say doesn't mean a thing.

If they don't feel it's a distraction, then who cares?

degruch
Saintsational Legend

SteveStevens66 wrote:
degruch wrote:
meher baba wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:

It is true that the remarks can be interpreted anyway one wishes to hear them but Johnny Member is also correct insofar as Nettlefold's response was clumsy. He doesn't get paid to be clumsy. He should have known he'd be asked and he needed to have a stock standard and appropriate answer at the ready. He didn't and that is unfortunate and unsettling.
I would have said nothing initially...then "Is that a rabbit?"...then 'zoink' out of the studio faster than KB introducing a new rule.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

SteveStevens66 wrote:
I didn't say it was clumsy.

I don't see anything wrong with it at all.

The only people that may be unsettled, are the supporters. On the eve of a final, I doubt the club would nor should give a stuff about that!

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote: I would have said nothing initially...then "Is that a rabbit?"...then 'zoink' out of the studio faster than KB introducing a new rule.
Did you see the Collingwood players' responses to the reporters as they were heading to training, in regards to the 96 point loss?

Hilarious.

I think all footy clubs should take a leaf out of their book when dealing with this sort of nonsense!

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote:
meher baba wrote:
degruch wrote:
meher baba wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:

MB - admit it. You came up with the 'no child will live in poverty by 1990 line' didn't you? It's ok. You are amongst friends!
A bit before my time, thank goodness!! As I was told the story, Hawke came up with the line himself: his advisers thought they had talked him out of it, but then he popped up to the mike at the election launch and - to their horror - out it came.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
degruch wrote: I would have said nothing initially...then "Is that a rabbit?"...then 'zoink' out of the studio faster than KB introducing a new rule.
Did you see the Collingwood players' responses to the reporters as they were heading to training, in regards to the 96 point loss?

Hilarious.

I think all footy clubs should take a leaf out of their book when dealing with this sort of nonsense!
Missed that one...did they fly past the waiting media in an HSV ute, side swiping 3 cars, before running into the Paddock?

Joffa 5
Club Player

degruch wrote:
I would have said nothing initially...then "Is that a rabbit?"...then 'zoink' out of the studio faster than KB introducing a new rule.
Would be funnier if you actually say "zoink" and then leave :lol:

SteveStevens66
Club Player

Johnny Member wrote:
SteveStevens66 wrote:
I didn't say it was clumsy.

I don't see anything wrong with it at all.

The only people that may be unsettled, are the supporters. On the eve of a final, I doubt the club would nor should give a stuff about that!
Sorry I misrepresented you.

Carna Saints!!!
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Joffa 5 wrote:
degruch wrote:
Would be funnier if you actually say "zoink" and then leave :lol:
Maybe "I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition"?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:

Hilarious.

Missed that one...did they fly past the waiting media in an HSV ute, side swiping 3 cars, before running into the Paddock?
Eddie can assure you that Alan Didak was not there that night…

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:

Hilarious.

Dane Swan said, when asked if they were disappointed, "no, we're stoked with it. Actually, we're siappointed it wasn't 100 points. Would have been nice to get it to 100 points" (or words to that effect).

No one is selling anything right now. It's all about what's happening inside now.
The members, let alone the public, have no hope of clubs playing the PR card right now.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
degruch wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:

Hilarious.

Dane Swan said, when asked if they were disappointed, "no, we're stoked with it. Actually, we're siappointed it wasn't 100 points. Would have been nice to get it to 100 points" (or words to that effect).

No one is selling anything right now. It's all about what's happening inside now.
The members, let alone the public, have no hope of clubs playing the PR card right now.
Ah, lets bin the cliche's and replace them with sarcasm, I like it, very footy forum-esque. :D

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:
degruch wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:

Hilarious.

Ah, lets bin the cliche's and replace them with sarcasm, I like it, very footy forum-esque. :D
It was odd, considering what we usually get from players. There were about 3 of them in row who were asked and each one of them gave a contemptuous and/or sarcastic response!

It was actually quite funny though.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
degruch wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:
degruch wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:

Hilarious.

It was odd, considering what we usually get from players. There were about 3 of them in row who were asked and each one of them gave a contemptuous and/or sarcastic response!

It was actually quite funny though.
Contemptuous and/or sarcastic, they've been 'coached' well, it seems. :wink:

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

don't give two hoots about the issue.
he stays, he goes, no one knows, so why bother caring.
que sera.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:don't give two hoots about the issue.
que sera.
Totally agree. Look I would rather him stay because we know what we get but if he goes we may get an even better coach. RL wasnt even in the picture when we wanted a replacement for GT.

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
que sera.
Totally agree. Look I would rather him stay because we know what we get but if he goes we may get an even better coach. RL wasnt even in the picture when we wanted a replacement for GT.
I agree with this. I would prefer him to stay but if he goes he goes, I think he will stay. Nothing we can do about it anyway and no point stressing about it. If we had to select a new coach I believe the club will have the correct processes in place to select a great replacement.

I love this club
SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Stillwaiting wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
que sera.
I agree with this. I would prefer him to stay but if he goes he goes, I think he will stay. Nothing we can do about it anyway and no point stressing about it. If we had to select a new coach I believe the club will have the correct processes in place to select a great replacement.
I think if he stays, he'll be there next year.

saint tash
Club Player

Johnny Member wrote:

Hilarious.

+1 JM. I was actually a tad surprised with their responses and thought the other doomsayers all things media, Caro included would have had a field day ripping into them.

Swan - "i was hoping it was 100 points actually".

Dawes - "I'm more concerned with trying to get into the place (for rehab)"

Pendlebury - "They kicked more goals than us".

Putting my perceived Collingwood bias aside I think more clubs need to take that kind of stance against the media.

Oh when the saints go charging in!
tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Brett Peake on 3aw tonight said Ross aint going anywhere. He said after the Sheahan story in the sun he got the players together and told them he's staying

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote:Brett Peake on 3aw tonight said Ross aint going anywhere. He said after the Sheahan story in the sun he got the players together and told them he's staying
thanks Tony- will await the audio---

and maybe if they got the squad to do one big shout out supporters will believe

why can't people see 'committed' means he is Staying....

although he may consider being committed if the queries continue fora long time.....

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:
tony74 wrote:Brett Peake on 3aw tonight said Ross aint going anywhere. He said after the Sheahan story in the sun he got the players together and told them he's staying
thanks Tony- will await the audio---

and maybe if they got the squad to do one big shout out supporters will believe

why can't people see 'committed' means he is Staying....

although he may consider being committed if the queries continue fora long time.....
Why can't Ross then come out and say he's in contract negotiations with us and it is just a matter of time before he signs on?

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs