I'm committed to Saints: Lyon

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

mohannair
Club Player

I'm committed to Saints: Lyon

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Pleasing!

saintlee
Club Player

I know RL hates talking about his contract status, but the more he can say to reassure us all that he's staying, the better....don't need this distraction before finals

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I dont think he will go but why not say that. He actually doesnt see anything about next year.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

All depends on how long he views his contact being... :shock:

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

So I would interpret what he said as meaning "I won't respond to rumours" and "I remain fully committed to the club until I stop being committed to the club".

Doesn't help that much. The problem with Ross is that he always likes to be a little bit cryptic, so he might be trying to make a more positive statement than he sounds like he's making.

Sam Fisher's comments are a lot more definite and confident.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

All he said is that he's committed to his role at St Kilda, which is coaching the team, which I doubt anyone would doubt is true. He didn't say one thing about staying on next year, so this changes nothing at all.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

meher baba wrote:So I would interpret what he said as meaning "I won't respond to rumours" and "I remain fully committed to the club until I stop being committed to the club".
Exactly. Straight out of the coaches handbook of "answering a question without answering the question".

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

On face value, there is absolutely zero to suggest he's leaving.

Nothing at all.

He's told the playershe's staying, we're winning, he's still contracted, the club's happy, he seems happy....

I'd say the only reason there is speculation is simply because there always is when a club is looking for a coach!

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:He's told the players he's staying!
I didn't see that written down anywhere. Sam Fisher said that he was "honest and up front with the players" and that they would "take him at his word". Sam didn't tell us precisely what was said.

What Lyon could have said was "I love coaching you guys and really want to stay at the club for as long as I possibly can, but, at the end of the season, I'll need to enter into some negotiations with the club about my contract beyond the end of 2012. I expect that these negotiations will end satisfactorily for both the club and myself." That would be entirely consistent with Sam's comments, but wouldn't preclude Lyon going off to the Demons (ie, because the negotiations with the club don't "end satisfactorily").

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

He should state it in simple terms ..e.g. "I'm committed to St Kilda and will be coaching them in 2012... and I don't have an out clause in my contract - St Kilda is smarter than that".
Last edited by samoht on Tue 06 Sep 2011 1:42pm, edited 1 time in total.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:He's told the players he's staying!
I didn't see that written down anywhere. Sam Fisher said that he was "honest and up front with the players" and that they would "take him at his word". Sam didn't tell us precisely what was said.

What Lyon could have said was "I love coaching you guys and really want to stay at the club for as long as I possibly can, but, at the end of the season, I'll need to enter into some negotiations with the club about my contract beyond the end of 2012. I expect that these negotiations will end satisfactorily for both the club and myself." That would be entirely consistent with Sam's comments, but wouldn't preclude Lyon going off to the Demons (ie, because the negotiations with the club don't "end satisfactorily").
Although I did see it written somewhere (I'll try and dig it up), why is it speculative that a coach is leaving if he doesn't address his players each week and tell them that he's staying?

I still can't see why, aside from the standard situation when a club is looking for a new coach, there is any serious speculation at all.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

This was written in a Herald-Sun article...

"Lyon is contracted for next season and recently told the playing group that he intended to at the club next season."

If people are taking all these rumours, speculation and innuendo seriously because it's written in the papers, then why wouldn't this sentence be taken just as seriously?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

OMG OMG OMG OMG... :x :x :x

He's more worried about a cut throat final than addressing rumours he may be leaving...OMG OMG OMG.... :x :x :x

GET RID OF HIM....HE'S A FLOG....

What are his real priorities???? Not the Saints!! :x :x :x

OMG OMG OMG...

SACK THE FLOG NETTELFOLD. SACK HIM. HE DOESN"T CARE ABOUT THE SAINTS. HE ONLY CARES ABOUT WINNING STUPID FINALS GAMES.

OMG OMG OMG
:x :x :x :x :x :x FLOG

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:This was written in a Herald-Sun article...

"Lyon is contracted for next season and recently told the playing group that he intended to at the club next season."

If people are taking all these rumours, speculation and innuendo seriously because it's written in the papers, then why wouldn't this sentence be taken just as seriously?
For this sentence to be taken all that seriously, it would have to have said "Lyon said he would be coaching at the club next season".

The word "intended" makes the statement equivocal. I actually find these sorts of qualified statements make me more, rather than less, suspicious that there might be something in the rumours. If Lyon or the club really want to quash the rumours, they could try saying absolutely nothing about them whatsoever: eg, "we are focused on Saturday's game vs the Swans and therefore have no comment whatsoever on contractual matters until after the end of the season".

The reported comments by Lyon and Nettlefold will give more oxygen to the rumours. I assume that wasn't their intention, but that's what will happen.

- Jonathan Swift
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:

For this sentence to be taken all that seriously, it would have to have said "Lyon said he would be coaching at the club next season".

The word "intended" makes the statement equivocal. I actually find these sorts of qualified statements make me more, rather than less, suspicious that there might be something in the rumours. If Lyon or the club really want to quash the rumours, they could try saying absolutely nothing about them whatsoever: eg, "we are focused on Saturday's game vs the Swans and therefore have no comment whatsoever on contractual matters until after the end of the season".

The reported comments by Lyon and Nettlefold will give more oxygen to the rumours. I assume that wasn't their intention, but that's what will happen.
IF Ross is true to his word that contracts won't be discussed until the end of the season, I can't see how he can say that it's 100% he'll be with the Saints. He needs to be able to see and consider what's on the table.

I have absolutely no problem with him saying he "intends to stay at the club" in the circumstances 8-)

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

I think the Kimmie event should answer your question. I mean seriously I have long held the belief that the Australian education system should introduce an education program that teaches Australians how to consume the media. It would raise the collective IQ significantly.

FortiusQuoFidelius
Club Player

The first line in the article says it all...

"ROSS Lyon has refused to be involved in rumour and innuendo concerning his playing future..."

It's clear that this article relates to his PLAYING future and not his COACHING future.

8-) 8-) 8-)

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

I just can't see why Michael Nettlefold can't come out and say: "We want Ross at the club for the next three years and are prepared to pay whatever his agent demands."

Or for that matter, why Ross can't come out and say: "I want to be at the club for the next three years and am prepared to accept whatever the club will offer."

On the other hand, perhaps I can see why there may be bit of circumspection on both sides. Just a thought.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:I dont think he will go but why not say that. He actually doesnt see anything about next year.
This is the problem with laying of contract discussions to season end.

I completely understand that he has other things to focus on. It's a perfectly reasonable explanation. But newspapers always twist that kind of talk to insinuate an alternative sinister view.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
SENsei
Saintsational Legend

All you flogs are missing the bigger picture and a huge story.

All our forward worries are over. We now have a strong, hard nut forward to take the pressure off Roo.

Read the article.
ROSS Lyon has refused to be involved in rumour and innuendo concerning his playing future as he prepares for St Kilda's elimination final against Sydney at Etihad Stadium on Saturday.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

FortiusQuoFidelius wrote:The first line in the article says it all...

"ROSS Lyon has refused to be involved in rumour and innuendo concerning his playing future..."

It's clear that this article relates to his PLAYING future and not his COACHING future.

8-) 8-) 8-)
Maybe Melbourne AND GWS have approached him...he's torn between coaching and a playing comeback? :?

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:

8-) 8-) 8-)
Maybe Melbourne AND GWS have approached him...he's torn between coaching and a playing comeback? :?
Ah shoot, I thought I got in first. FAIR DINKUM.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote:
degruch wrote:

8-) 8-) 8-)
Credit to FQF for the spot up. :D

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
SENsaintsational wrote:
degruch wrote:

8-) 8-) 8-)
Credit to FQF for the spot up. :D
And his line was clearly funnier than mine too. I am shamed.