Goodes and Mumford....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Goodes and Mumford....

Make no mistake....Lyon's thinking, gameplan, match-ups and selection decisions this week will all revolve around these two plays.

Restricting their influence will be a key plank in ensuring a St Kilda win.

* Sam Fisher once again looms as the likely match-up for Goodes. But with Goodes you need a plan B & C as well.

* Mumford. Ben was ill last time they met. however the saints will be up against it if Mummmie roles out another game like last time against us.

Gardi v Ben, Gardi and Ben, large use of third man up.

This will be the area that will no doubt cause Ross the most angst and soul searching this week.

Being at Docklands it is also removes weather from the equation, but importantly lets us play at a ground that we are most comfortable at.

Rooey will also be away from his MCG Demons.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Sun 04 Sep 2011 8:47pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Ross will likely pick both Gardiner and Mac to counter Mummy (dry conditions will suit an extra tall).

Goodes was the match winner last time playing on Fisher. I like Gilbert on him, he's a little quicker.

Armo must come in - for who I don't know? Possibly Blake.

Geary as sub - he's been our best since Cripps.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

blakes done a number on goodes twice before from memory

dempster is a chance to tag him as well

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:blakes done a number on goodes twice before from memory

dempster is a chance to tag him as well
That was years ago right? Blake has significantly slowed whereas Goodes hasn't in the slightest.

The Swans play tall so we may go in with the same team. However Armo comes in surely...

matrix
Saintsational Legend

has he?
considerably slowed???

hes as fast/slow as he has been over the last two years, otherwise he wouldnt be getting a slot in one of the best defences in he league

imo

but id go with dempster
gilbert is a chance too

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:has he?
considerably slowed???

hes as fast/slow as he has been over the last two years, otherwise he wouldnt be getting a slot in one of the best defences in he league

imo

but id go with dempster
gilbert is a chance too
Like I said Blake hasn't played on Goodes for years. He's not as mobile as he use to be or maybe he just looks slow as the games speed has increased. :? I would be very surprised if he lined up on him. It will be Fisher or Gilbert or both. Dempster has height however not the body to contest marks against Goodes IMO.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

id rather not see chips on goodes
goodes too good imo

dempstered?? :twisted:

going to be interesting
gotta love finals 8-)

realdeal
Club Player

matrix wrote:id rather not see chips on goodes
goodes too good imo

dempstered?? :twisted:

going to be interesting
gotta love finals 8-)
Fisher actually beat Goodes last time.. it wasn't until Lyon took Fisher off him to free him up that Goodes started to dominate in that last qtr.

In saying that, id prefer having Fisher as a loose man 3rd man up kind of role instead of a pure lock down defender. But Goodes and Mummy are our main two worries.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

yeah agreed
he was good on him
least we know he can do the job if required.

can wait for next sat night
bring em on!

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:Armo must come in - for who I don't know? Possibly Blake.
probably polo, if the mrp give him a bit of time off.

markinUSA
SS Life Member

Last time, we did not try third man up very often at all. It really surprised me, and I thought to myself 'Well, Ross doesn't want to telegraph that strategy for the finals yet'. You can bet we'll do it a lot this game, however.

"Don't give up, never give up" - Robert Harvey.
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Fisher or Gilbert are the obvious ones for Goodes, IMO. Gilbo has serious speed. How good was his chase down of Judd last night, on the wing, late in the game? He came form well back and Judd had to rush the kick in the end, just getting it off in time. Great speed and agility.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
battye
Saintsational Legend

Dempster would be good I think.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

battye wrote:Dempster would be good I think.
I think he could run with him.

From memory he really does struggle with close attention, if they got Sean to shadow him, I could quickly see his focus shifting towards winning some love from the umps

Maybe I am imagining that, but I seem to recall this early in the year when he was getting harder tags, always appealing for frees?

Ross said last week, he has some stuff up his sleeve that he gleaned from Syndey, I'm sure he has a plan.

I do hope it involves Fisher is in the backline though, gobbling up everything.

mohannair
Club Player

Since Goodes & Mummy are the playmakers along with O'Keefe we should try to double tag Goodes with Dempster & Jonsey.

If we can curtail Juddy then Goodsey is not difficult.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

wonder how okeefe pulled up this morn

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

there is nothing you can do when the ball is delivered to goodes the way it is.

we are blaming roo, but look at the delivery he was getting...

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

We will play Chips on Goodes again when up forward and then it gets down to MG or Ben. They cant play both. Just leaves us with no run. RL is a hard man and wouldnt give a stuff Ben has played nearly every game but I still think he will go with him on Mummy. Last time we didnt have Kosi and rumours were Ben was sick so I reckon he will get another chance.

PJ
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:We will play Chips on Goodes again when up forward and then it gets down to MG or Ben. They cant play both. Just leaves us with no run. RL is a hard man and wouldnt give a stuff Ben has played nearly every game but I still think he will go with him on Mummy. Last time we didnt have Kosi and rumours were Ben was sick so I reckon he will get another chance.
Hard one to call

Ben & Kosi

or

Gardi and Kosi

Swans don't have as much run as Carlton so 3 may go around again.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:
plugger66 wrote:We will play Chips on Goodes again when up forward and then it gets down to MG or Ben. They cant play both. Just leaves us with no run. RL is a hard man and wouldnt give a stuff Ben has played nearly every game but I still think he will go with him on Mummy. Last time we didnt have Kosi and rumours were Ben was sick so I reckon he will get another chance.
Hard one to call

Ben & Kosi

or

Gardi and Kosi

Dont rate Shaw, Malcheski and Kennelly. They can still run even if they are getting older. Ran ok yesterday against an ordinary side.

PJ
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
PJ wrote:
Hard one to call

Ben & Kosi

or

Gardi and Kosi

Dont rate Shaw, Malcheski and Kennelly. They can still run even if they are getting older. Ran ok yesterday against an ordinary side.
Yes I rate them but not in the same league as Carlton's leg speed. Gardi was pulled when we obviously needed to go a little quicker and match up better but Ray didn't really give us anything. Mumford is the big worry, regardless of whether ben was sick or not gardi is a better match up.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
PJ wrote:
Hard one to call

Ben & Kosi

or

Gardi and Kosi

Yes I rate them but not in the same league as Carlton's leg speed. Gardi was pulled when we obviously needed to go a little quicker and match up better but Ray didn't really give us anything. Mumford is the big worry, regardless of whether ben was sick or not gardi is a better match up.
Well if that is the case then play MG because if we have to play both then we have to hide one when they arent rucking and last nights hiding didnt work well unless of course we only look at the result and not what was actually happening when it was hot in the first half.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Plugger66 said :
Well if that is the case then play MG because if we have to play both then we have to hide one when they arent rucking and last nights hiding didnt work well unless of course we only look at the result and not what was actually happening when it was hot in the first half.
I tend to agree Plugger. Etihad is a small ground and with Gardy, Macca and Kosi, we are a bit cumbersome. I hate to say it, but on the smaller ground and against Mumford, I favour Gardi for the job at hand. On the bigger MCG, it may be a different matter.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

On the Goodes match-up, he is the key to them winning and needs to be kept quiet if at all possible.

My first choice would be for Fisher as a permanent blanket, because of his size and experience.

Next option would be Gilbert because of his pace and agility. Blake is now a bit slow and Dempster a bit too light.

We alternated coverage of Judd on Saturday, which worked well. Perhaps Fisher and Gilbert (when Goodes moves into the centre), alternating this week?

Middo
Club Player

PJ wrote:
Hard one to call

Ben & Kosi

or

Gardi and Kosi

How dare you question the great one .. !!

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!