Leigh Montagna

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Austinnn
Club Player

Leigh Montagna

I think it's time we paid tribute to a leader of this club who doesn't get the attention of legends like Lenny, Dal, BJ and so on.

Around 11 years ago, I went to a docklands game and on the way home, a fella on the street asked me who won, I told him we did, and he said "Watch out for Leigh Montagna; he's gonna be a great player for you."

That man was right. Now we see a player who leads by example, has been consistently good down the years, he's fast, he's good by hand and foot, he competes, and he knows how to get a goal. He isn't perfect and occasionally goes missing, but overall is along with Stephen Milne my favourite current player.

Not only is he a great player, he's a smart guy too, reads the play well, and off the field is a good speaker. Roo and BJ might be more popular choices, but I think Joey would make a really good captain, and I also think when he retires he will make a very good coach.

I think he is one guy we should absolutely keep a Saint.

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Is that you Joey?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Absolute gun, seldom praised especially on here. Has also turned from an outside mid to one of our best contested ball players, contrary to popular belief.

StNoodles
Club Player

More contested possessions than Lenny in 2010.

Excellent player.

St Lenny
Club Player

Love Joey but he frustrates me. personally I think he is over rated, just my opinion.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

St Lenny wrote:Love Joey but he frustrates me. personally I think he is over rated, just my opinion.
I'd love to have a few more like him that we could over rate :wink:

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Re: Leigh Montagna

Austinnn wrote:I think it's time we paid tribute to a leader of this club who doesn't get the attention of legends like Lenny, Dal, BJ and so on.

Around 11 years ago, I went to a docklands game and on the way home, a fella on the street asked me who won, I told him we did, and he said "Watch out for Leigh Montagna; he's gonna be a great player for you."

That man was right.
Was he old, blind and carrying a staff? Perhaps he was Tiresias, the infallible prophet of Greek mythology. Must have been, given that Montagna was drafted by the Saints less than ten years ago. And that he looked unfit and relatively untalented for his first 4 or so years at the club.

However, I agree that he is absolutely top notch nowadays!

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
thequarry
Club Player

He never had the same hype around him as higher draft picks that came to the club around the same time did, and there were plenty - Roo, Kosi, Ball, BJ, Dal, X & R Clarke, Goose...

But he's done a great job as a Saint, and is now obviously one of the most reliable and consistently good performers the club has.
Last edited by thequarry on Mon 25 Jul 2011 10:49pm, edited 2 times in total.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Agree, that he doesn't get the adulations that he deserves.

Going from an outside receiver to a fierce competitor and regular major Saints contributor, is a complement to his team attitude.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

More than a quality player in general,but hasn't delivered the same quality on the big stage.

Bring back the Lockett era
dragit
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:More than a quality player in general,but hasn't delivered the same quality on the big stage.
Another myth…
Well he's averaged 24 disposals and 4.5 tackles over his past 10 finals…
Right up there with Hayes who has averaged 27 disposals over the same games.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

St Lenny wrote:Love Joey but he frustrates me. personally I think he is over rated, just my opinion.
In the past, I have been of somewhat a similar opinion, particularly with respect to some aspects of his game, like kicking for goal and using his body to clear a path for others. But I must say this. I have noticed a real improvement in his game this year. There has never been any doubt about his capacity to run all night, especially in last quarters when close tags are tiring. He has gone up in my estimation this year.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Very good player but having a middling year. In terms of the stars of the era, I put Riewoldt first, Hayes second, then a fair margin to Goddard, Dal Santo, Fisher then Montagna.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
jonesy wrote:More than a quality player in general,but hasn't delivered the same quality on the big stage.
Another myth…
Well he's averaged 24 disposals and 4.5 tackles over his past 10 finals…
Right up there with Hayes who has averaged 27 disposals over the same games.
No myth about it. Has failed to blow away any side in a final like he does to interstate sides at Edihad at such will

In 2010 he averaged 28.6 a game
QF-23
prelim-33
GF1-23
GF2-13
In 09 he averaged 27.9 a game
qf 32
prelim 21
GF-23

In 5 of the 7 he has had less than his average,including all 3 GF's. The two exceptions were against a dogs outfit that was shot to sh!t in last years prelim, and a undermanned filth midfield in the 09 qualifying

Comparing him to Lenny in finals is laughable. Go back and watch the tapes,Lenny Hayes had 3 times the impact on his finals appearances than what Joey has had,that will give you a clearer picture than any stats. Joey is exceptional at beating up the weak,but doesn't deliver the same standard against the big boys,that is why he isn't rated as high as the others

Bring back the Lockett era
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:
In the past, I have been of somewhat a similar opinion, particularly with respect to some aspects of his game, like kicking for goal and using his body to clear a path for others. But I must say this. I have noticed a real improvement in his game this year. There has never been any doubt about his capacity to run all night, especially in last quarters when close tags are tiring. He has gone up in my estimation this year.
Agree
the only thing he's lacking is the X-factor , that ability to consistantly win a game in a quarter , off your own boot !

Griggsy
SS Life Member

Cairnsman wrote:Is that you Joey?
Nah its Aussie Jones, sees himself in Joey :P

But seriously, he is an amazing player. He is one of those players where you breathe a sigh of relief when the ball gets into his hands.

Is he vocal enough for a captain role? only really notice the obvious ones that are such as Goddard.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

dcstkfc wrote:Very good player but having a middling year.
Middling year, you're kidding, right?

He barely trails Dal Santo's stats, and has done so in spite of suspension (bump against Curnow) and injury (opening bounce vs. filth when Toovey pushed Armitage into him). Second behind Dal only in coaches' votes, and for good reason IMO.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
dragit
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:
dcstkfc wrote:Very good player but having a middling year.
Middling year, you're kidding, right?

He barely trails Dal Santo's stats, and has done so in spite of suspension (bump against Curnow) and injury (opening bounce vs. filth when Toovey pushed Armitage into him). Second behind Dal only in coaches' votes, and for good reason IMO.
For some reason Saints fans refuse to see this, you don't get back to back AA selection by luck, IMO averaging 3-4 less possesions in finals than the regular season would be expected, the regular season encompasses all the lower sides whereas the finals is against the very best 3-4 sides. I'm not going to dig through all the stats but I'm pretty confident Judd, Ablett & J.Brown would have a similar dip in numbers in finals, greater pressure and less cheapies.
Pretty harsh to say that Montagna hasn't performed in big games when in only one final from his last 10 he has got under 20 disposals. People don't say the same thing about Lenny who has had more finals with no impact:
QF - Brisbane - 16
SF - Sydney - 10
PF - Sydney - 14
Not bagging Lenny here, they all have quiet games, just some carry a myth around that they don't perform when it counts - one bad game in 10 finals is pretty consistent in my book…
Montagna is a gun at 27, coming off dual AA selection has plenty of good footy in front of him yet.

spert
Saintsational Legend

A top player for us for years, I wish more of our players had his footskills, but I feel could have done a lot more. Like NDS they both have troubles with hard tags, though NDS this season finally seems to be working through that.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote: Comparing him to Lenny in finals is laughable. Go back and watch the tapes,Lenny Hayes had 3 times the impact on his finals appearances than what Joey has had,that will give you a clearer picture than any stats. Joey is exceptional at beating up the weak,but doesn't deliver the same standard against the big boys,that is why he isn't rated as high as the others
As above…
When Lenny was in his mid 20's, he played some very average finals matches 16, 14 & 10 touches.
Montagna has had one final (from 10) under 20 touches at around the same age, so if that makes you laugh then terrific, go for it.

It's fair to say that the entire team was underwhelming in GF 2, and I'm sure Leigh was devastated at his own performance in that match. The 09 GF he had 23 touches and 8 tackles, in GF 2010 1 he again had 23 touches and 11 tackles - hardly a failure.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

26 touches, 8 tackles, 1 goal while taking on the best player in the game.

Not too bad for a guy who supposedly doesn't put in for our big games.

Well done Joey, keep it up.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

and congrats on your 100th goal in the AFL

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

okay, so he aint lenny.
been very good for us this year and years past.
our best last night.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Well done Monty - keep it going next week and for a couple of weeks after that too :lol: :lol:

georgie girl
Club Player

Interesting how different people see things differently!
Firstly I love Joey and the way he plays but didn't think he had a great game last night.
In contrast, my son came home from the game and said, "How good was Joey on Judd?!"
Maybe it depends on what you value in a player??