Can the Zac Attack do exactly that and play in attack?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Shaggy
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Shaggy wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Our best FB goes foward because we have to many bakman. How about our best FB stays there and either another backman moves somewhere else or is dropped.
Based on your logic Silvagni, Jezza, Ablett, Lynch and Bradshaw amonst others should never have played as FFs because they were great up the ground.

Cowboy, G-Train, Trevor Barker , Barry Lawrence & Verdun Howell were great both ends. Bob Murray started as FF.

The op is interesting because JB shouldn’t be dropped whilst Zac actually can play forward and IMO JB, Chips & Gilbert are useless as forwards.

Yarran and Davis are both up for All Australian this year playing opposite ends of the ground they are known for.

There are similar skills to the opposite ends of the ground albeit forward line is much harder to play because of the turn element. You may not be aware of this from watching rather than playing footy at decent level.

Whilst I wouldn’t play Zac forward this week the question is good for debate even if you don’t like change.
I shouldnt even respond when you are comparing those names to Zac. Zac is and will always be only a FB. He doesnt have any of the skills needed for a FF apart from being a good kick. He cops it on here for not looking at the ball. Hardly a good idea for a FF. Do you want me to mention Shanahan and Frawley. They were never tried forward because coaches can see certain skills in footballers. And the most annoying part of this is because of one week out we want to move our best FB just to fit lesser players in the side. Last week there was uproar on here for picking Blake now we want to keep him but make a new position for Zac when it isnt required.

Zac shouldn't have got himself reported. Looks like he's coming back in as a key forward. :wink:

FWIW, I think Zac easily has the skills to play as a forward. Fast, good hands, good kick. And lets be honest, we could do with a key forward (other than Milne) who can kick goals.

Won't happen though.

But Blake should not be dropped on that performance.
If P66 played footy at a decent level he may understand opposite positions are generally interchangeable. Same skill set except forward requires the turn which makes it much harder. Its disparaging on Zac to say he cant play forward. He is more of a forward then Archer or Stanley or Gilbert or Fisher IMO.

I am not pretending Zac is the next Plugger but at least he has kicked 6 goals in a game at a reasonable level. I dont believe the others have or ever will.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Shaggy wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Shaggy wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Our best FB goes foward because we have to many bakman. How about our best FB stays there and either another backman moves somewhere else or is dropped.
Based on your logic Silvagni, Jezza, Ablett, Lynch and Bradshaw amonst others should never have played as FFs because they were great up the ground.

Cowboy, G-Train, Trevor Barker , Barry Lawrence & Verdun Howell were great both ends. Bob Murray started as FF.

The op is interesting because JB shouldn’t be dropped whilst Zac actually can play forward and IMO JB, Chips & Gilbert are useless as forwards.

Yarran and Davis are both up for All Australian this year playing opposite ends of the ground they are known for.

There are similar skills to the opposite ends of the ground albeit forward line is much harder to play because of the turn element. You may not be aware of this from watching rather than playing footy at decent level.

Whilst I wouldn’t play Zac forward this week the question is good for debate even if you don’t like change.
I shouldnt even respond when you are comparing those names to Zac. Zac is and will always be only a FB. He doesnt have any of the skills needed for a FF apart from being a good kick. He cops it on here for not looking at the ball. Hardly a good idea for a FF. Do you want me to mention Shanahan and Frawley. They were never tried forward because coaches can see certain skills in footballers. And the most annoying part of this is because of one week out we want to move our best FB just to fit lesser players in the side. Last week there was uproar on here for picking Blake now we want to keep him but make a new position for Zac when it isnt required.

Zac shouldn't have got himself reported. Looks like he's coming back in as a key forward. :wink:

FWIW, I think Zac easily has the skills to play as a forward. Fast, good hands, good kick. And lets be honest, we could do with a key forward (other than Milne) who can kick goals.

Won't happen though.

But Blake should not be dropped on that performance.
If P66 played footy at a decent level he may understand opposite positions are generally interchangeable. Same skill set except forward requires the turn which makes it much harder. Its disparaging on Zac to say he cant play forward. He is more of a forward then Archer or Stanley or Gilbert or Fisher IMO.

I am not pretending Zac is the next Plugger but at least he has kicked 6 goals in a game at a reasonable level. I dont believe the others have or ever will.
How does Blake go at FF or even Chips at CHF. Was Frawley and Shanahan good at FF. Lets face you have no idea what level I played footy at or what level I am involved in at footy now. Seen that you said that you must have played footy at a good level. Can you tell me what level that was.

What you said is a huge generisation. Maybe champions or near champions can go back and forth but average FB are better to stay in their best position for them and the team.

I would suggest for someone to make the comment you did suggests if you did play footy at a good level it was through skill but not actually understanding the game.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Our defense functions far better without him...

Admittedly Freo's power forwards are not of the same ilk as Collingwood but we looked far more mobile and more capable without Dawson out there last weekend. Our defense functions far better without him..

That was even with Fisher playing half the game thru the midfield. IMO 70% of the season Dawson has been liability - his 1-2 good games for the year shouldn't entitle him to a immediate recall.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Our defense functions far better without him...

WinnersOnly wrote:Admittedly Freo's power forwards are not of the same ilk as Collingwood but we looked far more mobile and more capable without Dawson out there last weekend. Our defense functions far better without him..

That was even with Fisher playing half the game thru the midfield. IMO 70% of the season Dawson has been liability - his 1-2 good games for the year shouldn't entitle him to a immediate recall.
Werent you complaining about picking Blake last week? Talk about picking and changing opinions week by week. Zac deserves his spot because he is our best FB and will play on Cloke this week. If Blake plays he will get Brown.

To the top
SS Life Member

For those questioning Gamble's omission :-

"Gamble was again poor"

No surprise he has been omitted.

The question is where to fit Blake in given Fisher and Dawson return to our defence.

No doubt this will be a "packs on the ball" contest with all players within a postage stamp area of the ground, so getting our hands on the pill and flicking it around to advantage so we can not be pressed backwards will be important to the outcome.

This mob sweat on you going backwards and the fact their set ups force you to do this is why they are winning.

They swarm the defensive side of the ball and then target the "out the back" options in an attempt to force another backwards panic disposal which they then swarm onto.

They figure that if you have to go back and around their numbers they always have a chance - which they do.

Strangle 'em Saints

hmmm???

rexy
SS Life Member

Strangle 'em Saints wrote:hmmm???
Not every week IMO but hmmmmmm all the same!

Maybe this year?
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Zac looks more natural to me playing up forward (down back he looks lost half the time) and his leading, in the short times he's been forward, has been excellent. I'm not sure how he does it, but he just seems to put a big gap on them on the lead, giving him easy marks.
He could so easily have kicked 3 in a quarter last night (he was poor delivery away from two more marks in the goalsquare) and I hope we throw him forward again in the finals, if needed.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

Just watching the game (yet again on bigpond AFL) and I really like Dawson up forward. Tall, fast and mobile. Looks like he really relishes the roll. Definate starter for me. I'm impressed with his presence and attitude.

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
FortiusQuoFidelius
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
Don's start me on this argument!

The question is what is optimum for the team?

Blake was almost bog - so I cant see him going out.

Gamble is injured isnt he?
Agree and that is why your best FB plays FB. Can someone tell me Zac's record as a FF in the AFL. Doubt he has a record.
Fraser Gehrig didnt have a record as a full forward either and look what he did!

8-) 8-)

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

FortiusQuoFidelius wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

Agree and that is why your best FB plays FB. Can someone tell me Zac's record as a FF in the AFL. Doubt he has a record.
Fraser Gehrig didnt have a record as a full forward either and look what he did!

8-) 8-)
He mainly played as a HFF and wingman for the Eagles. His body shape changed when he cam to the Saints.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
FortiusQuoFidelius wrote:Fraser Gehrig didnt have a record as a full forward either and look what he did!

8-) 8-)
He mainly played as a HFF and wingman for the Eagles. His body shape changed when he cam to the Saints.
So did mine :wink:

Superboot
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
FortiusQuoFidelius wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

8-) 8-)
For us, he was also a terrific full back

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

What's this crap about Dawson playing forward? Surely the 3rd tall option up there is Tommy Walsh. Surely!!

PJ
SS Life Member

In short....no

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.