Ross offered big bucks for Melbourne gig?????

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote:They all looked like one happy family at training this morning. Only saw the start but lots of love.
fact Not innendo and summation and what if and I'LL HAVE THE EXCLUSIVE if it comes true so I'll make the outlandish treatment..

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
stinger
Saintsational Legend

conflict of interest noddy????...after all you are a dees supporter.... :roll: :roll: :roll:

prick... :evil:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:
tony74 wrote:They all looked like one happy family at training this morning. Only saw the start but lots of love.
fact Not innendo and summation and what if and I'LL HAVE THE EXCLUSIVE if it comes true so I'll make the outlandish treatment..
Seems more than one person making that outlandish statements though and to me it isnt outlandish. Melbourne want a coach. RL is a very good coach and Saints seem like they are decline. If they werent after him now that would be outlandish. If he wants to go let him go. He didnt say he was going to stay but he obviously didnt say he wanted to leave. What happens, happens. Plenty of other coaches out there.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

saw the interview on one week at a time......i love ross these days...in a manly sort of way......gawd he interviews well...sticks up for the boys and at the same time puts mug journos back in their box...in a nice way of course....

thought the guys looked off on sunday......couple of them(3) had a virus earlier in the week

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Saints43 wrote:
SainterK wrote:I though the dialogue was with Saints, hasn't that been mentioned before, that they had approached him about an extention...so he said sort out your 5 year plan first?
Didn't he say he wanted a five year plan signed off? I assume Pelchan would be writing that up but surely the senior coach would have a lot of input into any long term plans? Who else at the club could make predicitions about the possible tactical changes to the game which should have a big impact on the recruiting model.

Thinking about it, RLs relationship with Pelchan may be the biggest factor in any decision he makes. Melbourne would prbably be in a situation where a coach with a good record would have more of a free hand.
You reckon?

Melbourne sounds like a rabble internally, too many guys trying to run the show.

Not sure anyone would want to report to Schwab, it appears very 'Melbourne' there.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
saintbrat wrote:
Seems more than one person making that outlandish statements though and to me it isnt outlandish. Melbourne want a coach. RL is a very good coach and Saints seem like they are decline. If they werent after him now that would be outlandish. If he wants to go let him go. He didnt say he was going to stay but he obviously didnt say he wanted to leave. What happens, happens. Plenty of other coaches out there.
Both he and Kelly said that they have not heard from an offer from Melbourne.

He has said in the past that he wants to stay.

He said he doesn't posture and really did not want to discuss it.

He is currently negotiating a new contact with the club.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:I raised this a month ago.
He will be VERY VERY tempted to go. I dont think he can get out of his contract with us. But Melb have a decent list. And Lyon is based in inner north. Melbourne would really suit him.
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Something to say or contribute Saint Pav? or Just think bagging me constitutes an argument?
"He will be "VERY VERY tempted to go" would he Gora?
5 season at the saints. as i said - i honestly dont think he can or would want to breach his contract with us for 2012. so i dont see it as an option in any case.

just saying he will probably be happy with 6 seasons at the saints. there may not be any job opportunties come 2013.

so yeah - another 5 season contract would be tempting to anyone. Its a cut throat business. And a club where he wouldnt have to move his family etc. Of course he would be tempted.

im talking just as a regular bloke. anyone in his shoes would be tempted.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
saintbrat wrote:

Not sure all of a sudden we should think managers and coaches tell the truth. He could have actually have said he wasnt interested at all and then it would be done with. Who knows. I certainly dont but i also think that where there is smoke there is fire. Do i really care if he goes, not much at all. Do i want him to stay, yes. Will he stay, probably. Do I believe him or his manager, no.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
He will be VERY VERY tempted to go. I dont think he can get out of his contract with us. But Melb have a decent list. And Lyon is based in inner north. Melbourne would really suit him.
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Something to say or contribute Saint Pav? or Just think bagging me constitutes an argument?
"He will be "VERY VERY tempted to go" would he Gora?
5 season at the saints. as i said - i honestly dont think he can or would want to breach his contract with us for 2012. so i dont see it as an option in any case.

just saying he will probably be happy with 6 seasons at the saints. there may not be any job opportunties come 2013.

so yeah - another 5 season contract would be tempting to anyone. Its a cut throat business. And a club where he wouldnt have to move his family etc. Of course he would be tempted.

im talking just as a regular bloke. anyone in his shoes would be tempted.
You mean like Malthouse, who is actually out of a job for next year.
Or
Clarkson, whose contract finishes this year.

Both of whom live in Melbourne adn in Malthouse's case he would only need to move his office a few hundred meters down Swan Street.

Why would either of them not be in a better position to take up teh 55 year big bucks' offer?

And as to the magical '5 year scenario',
how long was Sheedy at Essendon?
How long has Malthouse been at Collingwood?
How long was Thompson at Geelong before leaving?
How long has Clarkson been at Hawthorn?
How long was Eade at Footscray?

On the demonland.com forum their 'take' on what was said last night was a little different to what's been posted on here.
They post that it was stated on the show that both Malthouse and Clarkson had already been 'sounded out' and that the Demons were presently going down the list of 'best' rather than 'best avaialable'.

If that is accurate then the headlines/stories in the papers today are even more fanciful than I first thought.

Incidentally, PAtrick SMith had a similar view on SEN this morning - trying to make the point to KB that the story was just a 'beat-up' rather than a 'serious' one.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
saintbrat wrote:

Not sure all of a sudden we should think managers and coaches tell the truth. He could have actually have said he wasnt interested at all and then it would be done with. Who knows. I certainly dont but i also think that where there is smoke there is fire. Do i really care if he goes, not much at all. Do i want him to stay, yes. Will he stay, probably. Do I believe him or his manager, no.
So if he denied it would you have believed him then?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
saintbrat wrote:

If he straight said i am not going anywhere then yes i would believe that comment. By saying i am not going to talk about it suggests that maybe there is something to talk about.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
saintbrat wrote:

If he straight said i am not going anywhere then yes i would believe that comment. By saying i am not going to talk about it suggests that maybe there is something to talk about.
Lets see what he says or what happens in the next couple of days.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:Incidentally, PAtrick SMith had a similar view on SEN this morning - trying to make the point to KB that the story was just a 'beat-up' rather than a 'serious' one.
That would be two weeks in a row that Patrick has said something some can agree with....

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Mark my words - Saints will have a new coach next year.

The Saints of St.George that is. Their current coach Wayne Bennett decided to coach another ARL team in Newcastle Knights next year. Jeez people, get with the times. He made up his mind about 4 months ago :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Megamaguire
Club Player

Megamaguire rules out Lyon switch to Dees

There's my scoopn now start sending the cash deposits for my journalistic brilliance in coming up with this headline. Theherald was never meant to be read by anyone over 12 and their dedication to pseudo news is the rotten drug they peddle.

Ross can rebuild St. Kilda again and can still be a premiership coach in less years than it took Malthouse @ the pies. If we had some of Collingwoods fixturing money and less afl hands in our Dome profits we would probably have been able to remain at Linton St. It has been a less than perfect year (in a premiership window) moving to Seeford and with the blow to Lenny i still think the coaching staff and team have clawed themselves back from a terrible position.
I'm sure Ross is searching for another young key forward or two to replace Roosey and Kosi for when they get too old in a few years.
I've enjoyed the Ross Lyon package from the start and i think he can help St. Kilda land the premiership.

GO ROSSI
GO SAINTS!

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
I'm sure he could get out of his contract with us, be amazed if there wasn't some out clause.....maybe another team would have to pay us some money perhaps??

I'd like Lyon to stay, not sure if he can rebuild from scratch, but worth a try.

Just provided he ultra-defensive mindset can be altered slightly, so we score a bit more heavily and play more attractive footy. That is easier to do with a rebuild than taking on established stars and filling the cracks with rejects IMO.
There is never an out clause for senior coaches to leave and coach another club (just ask mick malthouse).

only standard out clause is for assistants.
I believe Mark Thompson had a 'get out' type clause whereby the senior coach could give 3 months notice - which he did to depart Geelong.

Stand your ground :shock:
gringo
Saintsational Legend

They don't hold a coach who wants out. Melbourne is a double edged sword, looks like a winning list down the line but if they turn out to be not as good as we thought he would look like a dud.

Finna
Club Player

Johnny Member wrote:It's interesting though, from Lyon's perspective.

For the club, it doesn't really matter that much. If they're ever going to change coach, it's the ideal time for it to happen.
We need to rebuild anyway, and the coach walking out allows them to avoid the roasting in the papers about being habitual coach sackers!

But for Lyon, in the next year or so with us, he could go from being a 'throw everything you can to get and give him a 5 year deal' prospect, to a 'one trick pony/can't rebuild with youth/etc. etc.' prospect.

If we continue to slide, and there aren't signs of improvement directly from Lyon's own doing over the next 2-3 years, then he'll probably be like hundreds of coaches over the years and be simply unempoyable.

It's certainly a tough call for him.
Disagree with your reasoning. If Lyon believes in his own abilities (which I think he does) then he would not be worrying about failing in the next 2 years. He would be excited by the challenge.

I may be wrong but Lyon doesn't strike me s the type of person who would be afraid of failing - which is essentially what you are suggesting.

If he were to make a move for fear of not being able to improve our team then that would be the greatest failure of all for it would be a lack of courage and conviction in his abilities.

He will NOT be going anywhere......

He knows that there is work to be done and I don't believe hat he would be afraid to do the hard work.

He will relish in the opportunity and how sweet it will be when he delivers that flag.

As far as the $$$$ goes - I don't see why we would have any problem matching an offer from Melbourne......

Oh When The Saints Go Marching In.......
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

If we had won half of our first 10 games we would be in the top 4 and we would all be scoffing at the thought that RL would even think about leaving. He has blooded some youngsters this year and would be thinking that with a solid and incident free pre-season there would be no reason why the 2012 saints can't finish top 4 and have another crack at a flag.

The Dees could be top 8 material - but does the coach have the same off field resources available as at the saints? Are they just the next rung up from Richmond?

Seems like an easy choice to me.

“If you want the rainbow you gotta put up with rain” Dolly Parton
Moorabbin Man
Club Player

Johnny Member wrote:How many coaches in the history of the game have 'climbed the mountain' (or come as close as possible) with a club, then rebuilt and climbed it again?

Malthouse is one.
I can't think of another.

It's pretty rare.
Kevin Sheedy
John Kennedy

Megsie
Club Player

tell them NOTHING Ross.

four eyes took much pleasure in todays scumy paper to tell all who would
listen that Ross should go to Melbourne. Well Mr. nobody then who should
coach the saints ??? mmm....... guess you haven't thought about that as
yet you dumb trashy journo.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Megsie wrote:tell them NOTHING Ross.

four eyes took much pleasure in todays scumy paper to tell all who would
listen that Ross should go to Melbourne. Well Mr. nobody then who should
coach the saints ??? mmm....... guess you haven't thought about that as
yet you dumb trashy journo.
Think Mike Sheashan didn't like Ross' body langauge. Something wasn't right there Megsie... :roll:

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Just a diversion.

If you believe every other clubs supporters then Lyon is a failure.
malthouse has the flag stuffed up his arse and is getting sacked.

Of course they'd want to make it look like they had other options, otherwise the price might be a little steep.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Finna wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:It's interesting though, from Lyon's perspective.

For the club, it doesn't really matter that much. If they're ever going to change coach, it's the ideal time for it to happen.
We need to rebuild anyway, and the coach walking out allows them to avoid the roasting in the papers about being habitual coach sackers!

But for Lyon, in the next year or so with us, he could go from being a 'throw everything you can to get and give him a 5 year deal' prospect, to a 'one trick pony/can't rebuild with youth/etc. etc.' prospect.

If we continue to slide, and there aren't signs of improvement directly from Lyon's own doing over the next 2-3 years, then he'll probably be like hundreds of coaches over the years and be simply unempoyable.

It's certainly a tough call for him.
Disagree with your reasoning. If Lyon believes in his own abilities (which I think he does) then he would not be worrying about failing in the next 2 years. He would be excited by the challenge.

I may be wrong but Lyon doesn't strike me s the type of person who would be afraid of failing - which is essentially what you are suggesting.

If he were to make a move for fear of not being able to improve our team then that would be the greatest failure of all for it would be a lack of courage and conviction in his abilities.
He will NOT be going anywhere......

He knows that there is work to be done and I don't believe hat he would be afraid to do the hard work.

He will relish in the opportunity and how sweet it will be when he delivers that flag.

As far as the $$$$ goes - I don't see why we would have any problem matching an offer from Melbourne......
I agree and cant believe this viewe hasnt been reported.

Ross Lyon can coach.
Did Ross Lyon inherit a good list? Yes.
Has Ross Lyon developed any young players of note? - Id argue McEvoy is probably his best bet in 5 yrs....

IMHO Ross Lyon now has a chance to do what great coaches do - build THEIR list from ground up. St Kilda will give him that chance. To cut and run now IMHO would tell me a lot.

Great coaches can do it all - build an effective game plan, get their sides up consistently and DEVELOP and Grow in the process.

Time for some cohunas Ross.

What struck me as odd in that interview was at no time at any stage did Lyon even indicate hes happy at St Kilda????...aka Clarkson a week before about the Hawks........all that from a man who doesnt "posture" in the media.........seemed very much posturing to me.

Have the club said anything today?

“Yeah….nah””