Will Johnson apologises to fan

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:I'm glad that Will and the Club have acted so quickly with the apology.
No matter what the provocation, it's not acceptable for players to respond to the crowd in that manner.

Giving 'the finger' to the crowd results in a $5000 fine, so verbally responding is equally unacceptable.

Unless we want to see hordes of ferals jumping the fences.
Agreed
Disagree, we are talking about the filth here

I see nothing wrong in what Will said, should happen more often and be encouraged!

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

I like the way the 'responding to taunts' bit was subtly slipped into the apology.

That's the reality.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:I like the way the 'responding to taunts' bit was subtly slipped into the apology.

That's the reality.
Does it make any difference? Sounds like most on here reckon swearing like that in front of kids is acceptable. I don't - and am glad that the club took action. Regardless of whatever the fools taunting him said, Will needs to show he's better than them, not at their level.

Who do you think has won out of this little exchange? Why not just call her an old bag, why call her a f...ing c..t I have an 11 year old daughter and I'd be spewing if that sort of language was directed at someone in my vicinity well within ear shot of her.

High time we got over this - they're all filth so whatever's said is fine. Extremely childish I reckon.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:
Thinline wrote:I like the way the 'responding to taunts' bit was subtly slipped into the apology.

That's the reality.
Does it make any difference? Sounds like most on here reckon swearing like that in front of kids is acceptable. I don't - and am glad that the club took action. Regardless of whatever the fools taunting him said, Will needs to show he's better than them, not at their level.

Who do you think has won out of this little exchange? Why not just call her an old bag, why call her a f...ing c..t I have an 11 year old daughter and I'd be spewing if that sort of language was directed at someone in my vicinity well within ear shot of her.

High time we got over this - they're all filth so whatever's said is fine. Extremely childish I reckon.
Of course it doesn't. I was coming from the broader perspective of the club's poistion within the whole crowd behaviour debate.

It clearly IMO wants the finger firmly pointed one way.

PR shenanigans.

Personally, I find it hard to believe a player would snap like that unless severely and consistently provoked. I'm not excusing it. I'm trying to explain a reason for it.

Overall though I think it is ridiculously pathetic that a fan would see fit to run off ton 3AW in such circs...

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
asaint
Club Player

front page of the age? Really, are they serious?

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:What's the problem?

He was clearly correct.
That's it. Honesty is completely offensive to colonwood "people".

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Moods
Saintsational Legend

asaint wrote:front page of the age? Really, are they serious?
It's topical.

If it highlights spectator behaviour in an indirect way then I'm all for it.

Look, I've gone to the footy for 30 years +. When not with my kids and in the standing room area with mainly men, I have sworn with the best of them. It's not something I'm proud of but it would be hypocritical to say otherwise. I have never sworn AT a player so that he could realistically hear me.

Just reckon the argument that 'filth supporters do it to us' is really lame. AS Eddie said on the radio,
'we're all footy supporters, just supporting different tribes. Let's bring the humour back into the game.'

I just can't defend anyone calling a female a 'fu...g c..t in fromt of kids, regardless of the provocation. Will Johnson is probably a great bloke, but is it that hard to admit he made a blue.

If the pies supporter runs off to the media about it, well that's always a possible consequence when in the public eye and you stuff up. Me? I probably would have just complained to the club and left it at that.

hellorocky
Club Player

Saintbrat - you for to add that 'we' were sworn at too after the game for just clapping the boys off the ground and security telling the Straughnie look-a-like to settle after his very loud and inappropriate abuse toward us ladies.

Or the red headed ***** and the facially pierced ***** that clearly were trying to push my buttons in the 1st q before I sought safety with you.

God I hate that club :evil:

saint tash
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:Apparently you cant tell the truth nowdays if you are a footballer.

Here is a shot I took earlier of the effect the ferals at Victoria Park have on people

JB it's a pic from The Age. U took it did you??? Meh!

Oh when the saints go charging in!
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: I just can't defend anyone calling a female a 'fu...g c..t in fromt of kids, regardless of the provocation. Will Johnson is probably a great bloke, but is it that hard to admit he made a blue.
Will has done that within hours of the incident and has actually spoken to the person concerned- so any debate is not about how he and the club have handled this-

I just couldn't find words to describe the ' person' who was assaulting us- verbal rubbish but I must say he didn't actually swear- even the pies supporters behind us were cowering.......
and the security finally attended and his' friends' took a hand so good on them..

I can only imagine that as surmised Will was being attacked from the other side of the fence.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
jays
Club Player

good sport

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:
asaint wrote:front page of the age? Really, are they serious?
It's topical.

If it highlights spectator behaviour in an indirect way then I'm all for it.

Look, I've gone to the footy for 30 years +. When not with my kids and in the standing room area with mainly men, I have sworn with the best of them. It's not something I'm proud of but it would be hypocritical to say otherwise. I have never sworn AT a player so that he could realistically hear me.

Just reckon the argument that 'filth supporters do it to us' is really lame. AS Eddie said on the radio,
'we're all footy supporters, just supporting different tribes. Let's bring the humour back into the game.'

I just can't defend anyone calling a female a 'fu...g c..t in fromt of kids, regardless of the provocation. Will Johnson is probably a great bloke, but is it that hard to admit he made a blue.

If the pies supporter runs off to the media about it, well that's always a possible consequence when in the public eye and you stuff up. Me? I probably would have just complained to the club and left it at that.
You have just proved yourself to be an A grade hypocrite, and where has it been reported that Will was directing his comments at a woman? He was replying to the crowd in general. I'm sure your 11 year old has heard much more than you're aware of.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Solar
Saintsational Legend

That's the reality.
agreed

storm in a teacup

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Whether what he said was right or wrong, Will should have never responded.

Unfortunately, he played right into their hands.

How pathetic that they had to come crying to 3AW radio.

Don't worry, folks. This is more of a reflection on fans of the Filth FC.

The club has shown it has the integrity to take the correct disciplinary measures for players who break the code.

Out of all the players who would have felt the biggest urge to verabally retaliate to Filth FC taunts, Stephen Milne never did.

I reckon Will might want to take a leaf out of Milne's book, in this respect, for when he next steps onto the footy field.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Heard Neil Mitchell this morning talking about the Will Johnson issue.

He made reference to Will's apology but then seemed a bit concerned that Will "might be selected this week to replace Nick Riewoldt".

Probably just used to colour his comments, after all he'd know even less about Saints things than us experts.

Posted simply coz he said it. 8-)

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

I heard both the initial call and the lady's response.

It was clear that Mitchell was playing this matter up - "offended" at what occured. Suggestions that the AFL become involved, then called the Saints for a "reaction" to the claim. Asked Barrassi and Sandy Roberts what they thought - what could they say, but denigrate it.

Interviewed later, the lady who reported the incident, was full of praise for Will's apology and the sincerity of it .

Well handled Will and the Saints ! Don't do it again or Neil will make sure it's front page news!

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Junction Oval wrote:I heard both the initial call and the lady's response.

It was clear that Mitchell was playing this matter up - "offended" at what occured. Suggestions that the AFL become involved, then called the Saints for a "reaction" to the claim. Asked Barrassi and Sandy Roberts what they thought - what could they say, but denigrate it.

Interviewed later, the lady who reported the incident, was full of praise for Will's apology and the sincerity of it .

Well handled Will and the Saints ! Don't do it again or Neil will make sure it's front page news!
Lucky Hinch is still making acquaintances with his new organ :wink:

St Lenny
Club Player

We can only guess what was said to make Will react in such a way. Shouldnt have done it, but understand why he did. At least he was man enough to apologise unlike others :roll:

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

you two guys come on this thread speaking commonsense.
now everyone's doing it.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Winmar
Club Player

Why do these stories make the news these days? Storm in a teacup indeed. Nobody outside of the St Kilda supporter base has even heard of Will Johnson.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote: "f**k off f**k-face!"... hilarious!

a term of endearment for most bogans i would think....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.