"The midfield got obliterated"

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

"The midfield got obliterated"

"In a nutshell we got annihilated at clearances and inside," Lyon said after the match.

"First possession, clearances, hit-outs and hence momentum, and that's the modern game.

"The midfield got obliterated."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx

Have to agree, Mumford gave the mids first use all day, lucky in a way that Sydney had such poor footskills for a large portion of the game.

Ben just needs support in there, Kosi has been contesting a good 20+ ruck contests in recent weeks....he looked super wrecked out there today

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Not sure kosi would have even competed with big mummy.....

Why was there no tactic to quell his influence

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

This is exactly why we need to go after a good, experianced ruckman (Brisbane's Clark would be a good fit) to help Big Ben out and take us to the next level

Even a mediocre midfield can dominate if they get silver service at the ruck contests

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

it was more than the midfield

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

When you see guys like Lynch taking centre bounces and Rooey doing the ruck work on the forward line, things are not good in Tallarook!!

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Nice tantrum from Ross in the conference....

Bring back the Lockett era
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:Nice tantrum from Ross in the conference....
where can I see/hear this?

“Yeah….nah””
ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

Also, what's with JAson Blake 5m in the clear from any opposition player, ball is coming for him he goes for the double handed fist instead of the mark?

What's that about?

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
Unsure,they showed it on fox tonight. Spat the dummy and walked out with a parting shot about the ground

Bring back the Lockett era
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
Click on the link, and play the video Tef

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

They didn't look interested !

They didn't look interested !

I have just got back from sydney - we were terrible today! No energy it's like the whole list had been struck down with something?

McEvoy got a real lesson and there movement around the contest made us look silly.

It was not just that we lost but it was the worst game of AFL I have ever seen live- neither side will bother anyone in the finals.
Last edited by WinnersOnly on Sun 21 Aug 2011 10:47pm, edited 1 time in total.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Teflon wrote:
Click on the link, and play the video Tef
Try this mate

http://www.foxsports.com.au/AFL/039obli ... =FoxSports

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:
Teflon wrote:
Unsure,they showed it on fox tonight. Spat the dummy and walked out with a parting shot about the ground
Good to hear.

The ground is a farking pathetic disgrace.

If that nutjub Anderscum expects us to play there again I think there should be a riot.

Let's hope King Eddie gets on the bandwagon and says the Royal Pies don't want to play there again either.

Sadly, the Nazi AFL will force us to play there again should we finish 7th and Sydney 6th!!!

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

In Ross we trust

http://www.saints.com.au/video%20%20aud ... fault.aspx

Total professional

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
jonesy wrote:
Teflon wrote:
Good to hear.

The ground is a farking pathetic disgrace.

If that nutjub Anderscum expects us to play there again I think there should be a riot.

Let's hope King Eddie gets on the bandwagon and says the Royal Pies don't want to play there again either.

Sadly, the Nazi AFL will force us to play there again should we finish 7th and Sydney 6th!!!
He looks at the journos with complete disdain. It's very funny.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:He looks at the journos with complete disdain. It's very funny.
"I'm never shocked, except in pressers"

:lol:

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

"It was great playing up here on an immaculate surface, I thought it was beautfiul."

Oh Rossy :)

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

He's about one more press conference like that away from being turned on by the media.

DWOODROW
Club Player

Is it time to put people back to where they play well????

I think we are playing people in the middle more so for defensive match ups and roles rather than trying to win the match with good clearances and natural ability.

We need fisher in defense now more than ever and need to have Dal, Goddard, Jones, monty and the rest in the middle doing what they do best.

I know they rotate through there but what happened to playing them there till they needed a rest. we win games with them playing in the middle

again just an observation. I would like to see St Kilda attack more than be defensive.

spert
Saintsational Legend

The midfield got obliterated because they didn't go in for the hard ball. NDS and Monty went right back to their receiver mode and picked up easy possessions and had poor defensive games, while Steven tried hard as did Armo who are both still developing. Jones put his head in and tried hard, but didn't get much support. Goddard picked up easy possessions in the last quarter, but as a supposed elite player, just got kept out of the game far too easy, two weeks in row. We needed Lenny in there, but to expect a 32yo to solve future midfield problems isn't an option. A rudderless ship yesterday.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:The midfield got obliterated because they didn't go in for the hard ball. NDS and Monty went right back to their receiver mode and picked up easy possessions and had poor defensive games, while Steven tried hard as did Armo who are both still developing. Jones put his head in and tried hard, but didn't get much support. Goddard picked up easy possessions in the last quarter, but as a supposed elite player, just got kept out of the game far too easy, two weeks in row. We needed Lenny in there, but to expect a 32yo to solve future midfield problems isn't an option. A rudderless ship yesterday.
BJ was very disappointing.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

TBH our midfield without Hayes has been extremely poor all year. Dal has been very good, Goddard has never been a contested ball winner, neither has Monty (as much as he tries) and Jones is competitive but nothing more.

If anything the loss of Hayes has proved just how much he's carried us in the middle since the departure of guys like Ball and even further back Thompson and Harves.

You look at the stats - Armo was our leading contested ball winner in the first 6 or so weeks and since then Steven has been leading our clearances. Says a lot really.

We desperately need to recruit some gun, hard at it midfielders over the next few years. Can Cripps win his own ball? He seems more like an outside zippy mid, if anything...

dragit
Saintsational Legend

I like to think of Sunday as an off day, we've been up for about 10 weeks now and were bound to have another poor showing before seasons end, hopefully we have got it out of our system.

Interesting Old Mate what you say about Armo being our leading contested ball winner for the first 6 weeks, only to be taken out of the middle completely ever since. Surely in a game where we are being crucified in the clearances and contested ball it wouldn't hurt to throw him in for some center bounce work?

matrix
Saintsational Legend

armo steven and dal in the centre bounces

the end

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:
Teflon wrote:
Perspective,
Astonishing that different peple view the same piece of footgae) and come away with dimatrically opposite views of what they sae. (unless there was more footage that was not caontained in the linked clip?)

I saw no tantrum
I saw no dummy spit

I saw him react with disdain to a question from one 'journalist' that he'd answered previously.
He didn't raise his voice at all - he gave measured responses.