Power Forward Options...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

goodie wrote:My order of preference:

Clark - expensive financially and trade-wise, by far the best player though
Wilson - Also not too familiar with, what I've heard has been good though.
Carlisle - Still a bit of a project from what little I know. Not a short-term solution.
Butcher - Certainly not a cheaper option, but good potential. Potentially difficult trade, Port probably won't think our first rounder's enough and who wants to play for them?
Johnston - Similar to Butcher. We have a good relationship with the Swans, but don't see Longmire doing bargain basement deals with us.
White - Not as good a forward option as Johnston, lower ceiling, but has the potential to ruck part-time and would come cheaper.
Walker - Won't be traded cheap after Davis's defection, will probably ask a fair amount cash-wise for a relatively unproven player. New coach won't want to let him go. Interesting to see what GWS do about him now they've already taken a player from the Crows.
Taylor - Too many q's over work ethic, wouldn't be a solution.
Morton - No more a power forward than Gamble.
O'Hailpin - Nooooo. No. Much rather give our Irishman a crack.

What I would probably do? Chase a ruckman (Simpson - Geel, Clarke - Freo, McCauley - Bris, Pyke - Syd, Bellchambers - Ess, West - Geel, White - Syd) and park Big Ben in the goalsquare. Superb contested mark, good shot for goal. Not ideal to lose him around the ground, but personally I think he'd serve us better as a forward who pinch hits in the ruck than vice versa.
Not sure about Ben in the forward line. He is to slow as a forward IMO. Would be no good on a lead and that is where 90% of marks are taken. Also his defensive pressure would be ordinary especially if Kosi is there as well. Ben will be a great ruckman but an ordinary forward IMO.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Carlisle - Still a bit of a project from what little I know. Not a short-term solution.
Butcher - Certainly not a cheaper option, but good potential. Potentially difficult trade, Port probably won't think our first rounder's enough and who wants to play for them?
Johnston - Similar to Butcher. We have a good relationship with the Swans, but don't see Longmire doing bargain basement deals with us.
White - Not as good a forward option as Johnston, lower ceiling, but has the potential to ruck part-time and would come cheaper.
Walker - Won't be traded cheap after Davis's defection, will probably ask a fair amount cash-wise for a relatively unproven player. New coach won't want to let him go. Interesting to see what GWS do about him now they've already taken a player from the Crows.
Taylor - Too many q's over work ethic, wouldn't be a solution.
Morton - No more a power forward than Gamble.
O'Hailpin - Nooooo. No. Much rather give our Irishman a crack.

What I would probably do? Chase a ruckman (Simpson - Geel, Clarke - Freo, McCauley - Bris, Pyke - Syd, Bellchambers - Ess, West - Geel, White - Syd) and park Big Ben in the goalsquare. Superb contested mark, good shot for goal. Not ideal to lose him around the ground, but personally I think he'd serve us better as a forward who pinch hits in the ruck than vice versa.
Not sure about Ben in the forward line. He is to slow as a forward IMO. Would be no good on a lead and that is where 90% of marks are taken. Also his defensive pressure would be ordinary especially if Kosi is there as well. Ben will be a great ruckman but an ordinary forward IMO.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

bobmurray wrote:Jessie White from the Swans....

is he worth trying to get or is he a gop at best
At his best, three goals a game, but far from consistent. Still young, so worth looking at, for the right price.

Bad management is bad management
philtee
Club Player

Dawes...put in the offer now.
I can just see the Magpie fans' jaws dropping when the deal is done.
That alone would be worth it !

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

No plugger....wrong again

I said i only reply to you, when im bored.......

Ahh...the photo thing

As i said, my knowledge of 2010 was minor at best......i merely mentioned that it was unusual that our first pick was of a player (in a time the draft is covered comprehensively) that did not even have an image.....every other player did....at that point

And he was not covered inthe top 40 of the three phantom drafts i had seen.....by the so called draft experts...

Then in a draft analysis by a former coach he was labelled a good pick

I had read zero about him.....my query was...like howard, did we spring a surprise? Probably not, as i said....i did little research in the 2010 draft

From what i have seen, vfl and afl.....he has a way to go, and needs get a bit harder....

Young ledger is a beauty....

stinger
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:No plugger....wrong again

you should follow my lead...and not reply to him at all....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
avid
Club Player

philtee wrote:Dawes...put in the offer now.
I can just see the Magpie fans' jaws dropping when the deal is done.
That alone would be worth it !
I'll chip in something right now to sponsor him.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Ahh...the photo thing

As i said, my knowledge of 2010 was minor at best......i merely mentioned that it was unusual that our first pick was of a player (in a time the draft is covered comprehensively) that did not even have an image.....every other player did....at that point

And he was not covered inthe top 40 of the three phantom drafts i had seen.....by the so called draft experts...

Then in a draft analysis by a former coach he was labelled a good pick

I had read zero about him.....my query was...like howard, did we spring a surprise? Probably not, as i said....i did little research in the 2010 draft

From what i have seen, vfl and afl.....he has a way to go, and needs get a bit harder....

Young ledger is a beauty....
Then why comment if you knew little about the draft. Again it seems you just wanted to knock the club. And again you must be bored.

stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

Butcher is out of contract and has 10 times more talent then Darling or Walker... Should make a big play for him.. Would cost our 1st rounder plus a player but would be worth it..

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

What a fickle lot some people are on here.

Last week we had the power forward of the century languishing at Sandy in Tommy Walsh.

This week he doesn't even get a mention :D

According to some (many who have NEVER even seen him play) Walsh is the answer to all our prayers up forward.

So in saying that, and considering we have Plugger, Jezza, Hudson, Coleman, and Dunstall all rolled into one in T.Walsh, wouldn't the money be better spent on getting some midfield pace and skill?

Discuss

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
shmic_s
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:What a fickle lot some people are on here.

Last week we had the power forward of the century languishing at Sandy in Tommy Walsh.

According to some (many who have NEVER even seen him play) Walsh is the answer to all our prayers up forward.

So in saying that, and considering we have Plugger, Jezza, Hudson, Coleman, and Dunstall all rolled into one in T.Walsh, wouldn't the money be better spent on getting some midfield pace and skill?

Discuss
I agree Joffa.
Throw in Stanley in to that potential mix too. Hopefully he can show something with an uninterrupted pre-season.

Focus on improving the midfield with some pace and skill. Think with better delivery, we'd see both Roo and Kosi improve their output also.

stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

shmic_s wrote:

Discuss
I agree Joffa.
Throw in Stanley in to that potential mix too. Hopefully he can show something with an uninterrupted pre-season.

Focus on improving the midfield with some pace and skill. Think with better delivery, we'd see both Roo and Kosi improve their output also.
What i find interesting is that everyone is trying to find another tall to help Roo as he isnt kicking as many goals but all want Kosi to stay up forward even though he is averaging 0.9 goals a game... (1.25 over past 2 years)

Surely our main aim must be to find someone who can play as that 2nd main tall up and can actually hit the scoreboard.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

stkildathunda wrote:
shmic_s wrote:

Discuss
I agree Joffa.

What i find interesting is that everyone is trying to find another tall to help Roo as he isnt kicking as many goals but all want Kosi to stay up forward even though he is averaging 0.9 goals a game... (1.25 over past 2 years)

Surely our main aim must be to find someone who can play as that 2nd main tall up and can actually hit the scoreboard.
Posted by tony74 on another thread and perhaps missed by many.
tony74 wrote:At training yesterday Zac negated both Roo and Kosi in set plays. He is much taller than you think. There was one other player in that group ( Roo, Kosi, Zac, Chips, Arch and Tommy ) who really stood out and was rarely beaten and very clean with his hands............ no.41- Paul Cahill
Not saying he's the answer but the club could do a lot worse than keeping this guy on the list. Need to get him right mentally and physically of course!

shmic_s
Club Player

stkildathunda wrote:What i find interesting is that everyone is trying to find another tall to help Roo as he isnt kicking as many goals but all want Kosi to stay up forward even though he is averaging 0.9 goals a game... (1.25 over past 2 years)

This is what i'm saying. If better delivery results in Roo and Kosi improving their output. The another tall forward won't be required.

Walsh and Stanley can keep the pressure on spots. Main concern is if Walsh can bump out Kosi, who would take second ruck? Maybe this is why he has been trialed in the ruck in the VFL at times.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Until Roo starts doing better in one-on-one contests, all the good delivery in the world won't help. Kosi is getting knocked off the ball a bit too easy as well, so those two are not giving me much confidence in the forward line.

shmic_s
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:Posted by tony74 on another thread and perhaps missed by many.
tony74 wrote:At training yesterday Zac negated both Roo and Kosi in set plays. He is much taller than you think. There was one other player in that group ( Roo, Kosi, Zac, Chips, Arch and Tommy ) who really stood out and was rarely beaten and very clean with his hands............ no.41- Paul Cahill
Not saying he's the answer but the club could do a lot worse than keeping this guy on the list. Need to get him right mentally and physically of course!
Yeah, there are a few options on our list at the moment.
None are screeming out that they will be superstars yet.
But one thing, with the introduction of Pelchan should be an interesting off-season.

stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

Dr Spaceman wrote:
stkildathunda wrote:
shmic_s wrote:

Discuss
I agree Joffa.

How long do we give these blokes, hasnt really shown any signs that he would dominate in the VFL, let alone AFL.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

stkildathunda wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
stkildathunda wrote:
shmic_s wrote:

Discuss
I agree Joffa.

How long do we give these blokes, hasnt really shown any signs that he would dominate in the VFL, let alone AFL.
Ahhhh, so it's a dominator you're looking for! :wink:

stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

Dr Spaceman wrote:
stkildathunda wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
stkildathunda wrote:
shmic_s wrote:

Discuss
I agree Joffa.

Ahhhh, so it's a dominator you're looking for! :wink:
No just someone that shows signs that he is capable of kicking a bagful... Only bloke down there that has shown that regularly is Johnson :wink:

noreason41
Club Player

SaintPav wrote:
plugger66 wrote:If we are getting a tall forward it must be someone with good defensive skills unless this forward is replacing Kosi. Could you imagine someone who couldnt chase being in the same forward line as Kosi with the way footy is played today. it just cannot work so before we look at any other attribute chasing has to be high up on the list.
I can. G Train in 2008 comes to mind....Was a waste in the first half of the year until we got our skates on.
You mean it was a waste until Gehrig got dropped? We stopped persisting with 3 slow talls who couldn't apply pressure

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Discuss
Don't you get tired of exagerating all the time?

In a team where the coach has openly acknowledged we're a key forward short... what's wrong with ppl wanting to see young KPP like Walsh or Johnson get a shot?

It's ironic coz ur response is just as extreme as those of the ppl that u mock... except you don't get it

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Obviously very bored...

Why cant i make a comment, even if i have little knowledge......you seem to be able to do it regularly....

Infact, if thats a new rule.....you shouldnt post......any excuse to defend the club, i suppose.......who has the runs on the board???

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:

you should follow my lead...and not reply to him at all....
That wont stop him...his mission must be 30,000 posts regardless of value...

i'm sure he kisses the mirror nightly

Will we pick up a player in the SSP window :?:
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

BigMart wrote:And he was not covered inthe top 40 of the three phantom drafts i had seen.....by the so called draft experts...
Paul Daffy (afl.com.au) - pick 26
Jay Clark (heraldsun) - pick 18
Emma Quayle (theage) - not in top 25 as this is where she went to but mentioned as potential 18 or 20 - total speculation, but considering WC had pick 26 my money would be on her giving consideration to him being there considering what she has said previously.

They would be 3 of the main phantom drafts out there you would have thought. And he was mentioned a lot in the lead up both externally and within this forum due to his potential and also 'off field indescretions'.

Not meaning to single you out BM, but it annoys me when I read things from you which are backed up by little if any evidence.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:

Discuss
Don't you get tired of exagerating all the time?

In a team where the coach has openly acknowledged we're a key forward short... what's wrong with ppl wanting to see young KPP like Walsh or Johnson get a shot?

It's ironic coz ur response is just as extreme as those of the ppl that u mock... except you don't get it
Whooooosh

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)