Tarrant charge thrown out - WOW!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
HSVKing wrote:
stinger wrote:didn't miss the head at ll...ask kossi if you dodn't believe me...dog act by a real dog.....
C'mon mate. You've seen enough footy to know it's a full contact sport.

Initial contact was shoulder to shoulder, and his lack of awareness made it worse than it needed to be. He got straight up, get on with the game.

I'm not Kosi bashing what-so-ever, I just don't want to see this great game turn into touch footy.
undue rough play....wasn't illegal once....might be now..if kossi was injured..the prick is just lucky he wasn't....still a cheap dog act..everybody in the ground could see kossi wasn't watching....
Kosi is never watching, he has peripheral vision problems, Not Tarrant's problem, fair bump.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Winmar7Fan
Club Player

I know many love this hard contact in the game and claim a good fair bump but I don't like it at all. How is it good for the game?

Trying to severally hurt a player especially when he knew he wasn't aware of him coming to brace himself is gutless.

Tarrants a girl and it was his perfect opportunity to look like a bit of a tough guy.

sRaf
Club Player

Gotta agree with the decision. Any footy supporter would not want to see Tarrant miss from that. Every publication that's mentioned it thought that it wasn't even report worthy.

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

the decision is flawed and based on incorrect information
since when is Kosi ever within five meters when chasing someone?
he was never going to catch him rendering the bump totally unnecessary.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
matrix
Saintsational Legend

play on.

wakey wakey kozman, youve always gotta have a quick look when on the chase

ffs

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

So sick of the MRP ,
Tarrant should have got off ,
however the MRP are so far ken inconsistant.
next week somebody may do the same thing with a similar result , yet get 1-2 weeks .
with all their stupid boxes to tick , each week its a lottery !

avid
Club Player

Moods wrote:Maybe I'm old school, but I grew up knowing that if you were chasing a bloke then keep your wits about you, b/c someone will pick you off. As long as the elbow isn't raised it's a great part of our game. Was a perfectly executed bump, Kosi got straight up, and the game went on. Should never have even been a free.

I hate seeing blokes getting injured as well, but we are playing a body contact sport FFS. The bump is a terrific part of our game if properly executed. Surely no sane, unbiased supporter, would hope that Tarrant would get weeks for that?
This sums up the issue for me too.

Our game is great because people do sublime things in extreme danger. Rule out legitimate physical hits and you rule out physical courage.
Grace under pressure.
(Or a bit the opposite in Kosi's case this time!)

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Yep but he missed the head. The bump isnt dead at all as long as you miss the head. It was a great bump and the only one in the whole ground who didnt see it coming was Kosi. Rooy was unlucky. Tarrent got the correct call. Have no idea why leaving the ground matters at all.
I must be losing the plot, because ot me it clearly looked like he got him in the head.

The initial contact was to the shoulder, but then he collected his head aswell.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Yep but he missed the head. The bump isnt dead at all as long as you miss the head. It was a great bump and the only one in the whole ground who didnt see it coming was Kosi. Rooy was unlucky. Tarrent got the correct call. Have no idea why leaving the ground matters at all.
I must be losing the plot, because ot me it clearly looked like he got him in the head.

Well our doctor is a liar.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:

Or maybe I'm just going blind!

It looked really clear to me.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:

No Pluggs, we did this last night…
The doctor can report whether he was injured or not, but he won't know whether there was contact unless it caused injury.
Kosi will know, but I doubt he would say.

Looked like the shoulder got his head to me, but in any case, Kosi played out the game well so by the new logic of the MRP - not guilty.

Maybe Kosi should have his own peripheral vision rule, whereby a player looking to sheppard him must take into account his lack of peripheral awareness?

Makes about as much sense as the 'Buddy's natural Arc' rule.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

The incident highlights what we already knew. The MRP looks at outcomes not actions. From the vision I saw, Chris Tarrant made contact with Kosi's shoulder, but it could easily have been with his head or looked like his head from ground level, which I suppose is why the umpire paid a free and reported him. However, as we saw with Zac Dawson just two years ago, you can make contact with the shoulder, within 5 metres, and still get rubbed out. This is because, in Zac's case, the player hit his head on the ground and was knocked out. This could easily have occurred with Kosi.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

avid wrote:
Moods wrote:Maybe I'm old school, but I grew up knowing that if you were chasing a bloke then keep your wits about you, b/c someone will pick you off. As long as the elbow isn't raised it's a great part of our game. Was a perfectly executed bump, Kosi got straight up, and the game went on. Should never have even been a free.

I hate seeing blokes getting injured as well, but we are playing a body contact sport FFS. The bump is a terrific part of our game if properly executed. Surely no sane, unbiased supporter, would hope that Tarrant would get weeks for that?
This sums up the issue for me too.

Our game is great because people do sublime things in extreme danger. Rule out legitimate physical hits and you rule out physical courage.
Grace under pressure.
(Or a bit the opposite in Kosi's case this time!)
What about that particular hit was 'sublime' and 'in danger'?

He sniped a bloke who wasn't looking!

This is what I don't get at all in the whole 'bump' debate.

There seems to be a de facto celebration of cheap blindside hits.

I've grown up playing AFL, Union, and League. A snipe like Tarrant's would be seen as extraordinarily cowardly in the latter two. Not so in AFL. What's with that?

Why did the blindsided bloke - even if MORE unaware than most - have to be flattened?

Seriously, why?

What was Tarrant's intent? To clear passage for the ball carrier? Or to maim an easy target with eyes for the contest instead of a potential sniper?

Gutless, this kind of thing. I find it pretty sickening to be honest. One of the game's few black spots.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote: What about that particular hit was 'sublime' and 'in danger'?

He sniped a bloke who wasn't looking!

This is what I don't get at all in the whole 'bump' debate.

There seems to be a de facto celebration of cheap blindside hits.

I've grown up playing AFL, Union, and League. A snipe like Tarrant's would be seen as extraordinarily cowardly in the latter two. Not so in AFL. What's with that?

Why did the blindsided bloke - even if MORE unaware than most - have to be flattened?

Seriously, why?

What was Tarrant's intent? To clear passage for the ball carrier? Or to maim an easy target with eyes for the contest instead of a potential sniper?

Gutless, this kind of thing. I find it pretty sickening to be honest. One of the game's few black spots.
I disagree.

For me, it's not that Tarrant's act was wonderful. It's that acts like that are legal and a part of the game.
They impact the game.

They can hurt guys and render them useless, which turns the game in your favour.

They can also scare guys, which gives you an advantage. It gets guys looking over their shoulder.

But, the biggest thing for me, is that it makes the guys that play the game incredibly brave and courageous.
they know they can get picked off at any moment. They know they can get seriously hurt every time they run out on the ground.

And that's what I love abot the sport. It's a contact sport. You can get seriously injured within the rules, at any given moment.

It takes a certain type of guy to still go out there, and risk it all.

Once the chance of serious injury or serious pain is removed from the sport, it's no longer 'a certain type of guy that plays the sport'. Any athlete can play.

I admire basketballers athleticism, and soccer players' skills and fitness - but I love the fact that AFL footballers have to be supremely fit, highly skilled and have a screw loose to go out each week and put their wellbeing on the line for the club!

You don't get that from other sports.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

my biggest problem with is is two fold

1) he jumped off the ground. This must be taken into account as it means the force is going up and thus a hit on the shoulder will most likely end up hitting the head. Have to take this out of the game.

2) He caused the contact but because of the lack of injury he gets of whilst roo who did the right thing and braced himself gets 3 down to 1. One was weak and picked a player off, the other was a player bracing himself to take the contact.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

All I have to really say to sum this whole argument up is...

If it was the other way around, everyone would be saying it was 'fair' and in the rules/spirit of the game.

Take those rose coloured glasses off and follow the game. The bump was fair, should not have even been a free kick (wasn't illegal contact either high nor too far from the ball) and we shouldn't have to even be talking about it.

They walk amongst us...

SainterSoul
Club Player

matrix wrote:play on.

wakey wakey kozman, youve always gotta have a quick look when on the chase

ffs
This.

Kosi has a history of not being aware of what's happening around him - this is just another example.

FFS! This is football.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

HSVKing wrote:All I have to really say to sum this whole argument up is...

If it was the other way around, everyone would be saying it was 'fair' and in the rules/spirit of the game.

Take those rose coloured glasses off and follow the game. The bump was fair, should not have even been a free kick (wasn't illegal contact either high nor too far from the ball) and we shouldn't have to even be talking about it.
Bet you would if it all went awry and Kos had his jaw cracked !

So you, and those who agree with you, think it's perfectly fine to snipe an unsuspecting player to the extent he's lying dazed and prone on the ground.

Firstly, why?

And secondly, couldn't Tarrant simply knock Koz off his line, impede his progress with a nudge, or do whatever else to shepherd the ball carrier? Wouldn't it have the same effect?

Why, regardless of who from where whacked who from where, is this sort of thing deemed in some way 'hard' when the opposite rings true?

People are thumbs-upping abject cowardice. I find that really weird.

Surely the game has enough legitimate, brave, tough physical acts in it without having to resort to the celebration of this kind of thing....

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:Bet you would if it all went awry and Kos had his jaw cracked !

So you, and those who agree with you, think it's perfectly fine to snipe an unsuspecting player to the extent he's lying dazed and prone on the ground.

Firstly, why?

And secondly, couldn't Tarrant simply knock Koz off his line, impede his progress with a nudge, or do whatever else to shepherd the ball carrier? Wouldn't it have the same effect?

Why, regardless of who from where whacked who from where, is this sort of thing deemed in some way 'hard' when the opposite rings true?

People are thumbs-upping abject cowardice. I find that really weird.

Surely the game has enough legitimate, brave, tough physical acts in it without having to resort to the celebration of this kind of thing....
It's called a shepherd, and if my player had the chance to put his body on the line to protect one of his own players, that's exactly what I'd want them to do.

If Kosi had his jaw broken, then the MRP would have suspended him, simply because he would have had to hit him harder/higher for this to have happened. Situations would have had to change!

Kosi was FINE and got up straight away. Nothing in it!

They walk amongst us...

dragit
Saintsational Legend

I agree HSV that most saints fans loved it when Hamill or Lenny dished out those bumps…

It is ironic though how similar this bump is to the Giansiracusa one…
After that bump the rules changed. I think the Tarrant one did hit his head and he was pretty lucky that Kosi wasn't injured.

Tell me there was no head contact after watching this angle…
(at around the 5 min mark)
http://www.foxsports.com.au/AFL/dal-san ... =FoxSports

giansiracusa one (not very good footage sorry)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=77_VhHYb3X4

Much to the horror of the old-school, I think they will eventually ban this type of bump altogether. If the same action can sometimes leave a player only dazed, but then break an opponents skull another time, can we really afford to take the risk? The reality is you just can't have that much control when running flat-out and launching at an opponent, all tucked-up…

Imagine the out-cry if Bakes laid a big bump on Judd and he fractured his skull?

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:I agree HSV that most saints fans loved it when Hamill or Lenny dished out those bumps…

After that bump the rules changed. I think the Tarrant one did hit his head and he was pretty lucky that Kosi wasn't injured.

Much to the horror of the old-school, I think they will eventually ban this type of bump altogether. If the same action can sometimes leave a player only dazed, but then break an opponents skull another time, can we really afford to take the risk? The reality is you just can't have that much control when running flat-out and launching at an opponent, all tucked-up…

Imagine the out-cry if Bakes laid a big bump on Judd and he fractured his skull?
It's interesting isn't it.

Some are claiming that the reason for outlawing head high contact is to avoid legal action. To make it a safe 'work environment' for the players.

But once again, the AFL has bungled it.

They're now literally saying, that they're not making the workplace safe. You can still cop hits to the head, and they're not doing anything to prevent it. All they will guarantee the players - is that if they do happen to get collected and get hurt, then the player that did it will be punished!

How does make anything safe?

It's like having no scaffolding safety barriers on a building site, and saying to everyone 'do what you want, but if someone falls and gets hurt then we'll react and punish someone'. Imagine that standing up in court in a Worksafe case!

Just bizarre by the AFL.

I wonder if they even know what it is that they're trying to do.

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

When I saw the bump by Tarrant, then the whistle go for it I thought "what a load of crap". The hit was fair. No free kick, let alone a report required. I'm glad they saw sense in it.

Still, they gave Baker the biggest penalty on the face of the earth using no video, no witness and a presumption of guilt. And no, I won't move on! :lol:

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:I agree HSV that most saints fans loved it when Hamill or Lenny dished out those bumps…

If it hit his head he would have been knocked out or at least he would have a bruise on the side of his face. it obviously missed the head and thus it is agreat anf fair bump. If it hits him in the head and he is injured he gets suspended. Thats the risk.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:If it hit his head he would have been knocked out or at least he would have a bruise on the side of his face. it obviously missed the head and thus it is agreat anf fair bump. If it hits him in the head and he is injured he gets suspended. Thats the risk.
You didn't watch the clip did you?

I'm pretty sure that the hit Dawson got suspended for wouldn't have caused an injury, it is possible to be hit in the head and not sustain an injury, it happens throughout all matches…

I still think there was contact to head, but the rule at the moment seems to be injury = suspension, no injury = no suspension, thats fine, Tarrant is in the clear.

A very similar bump broke Kosi's skull last time, these guys are pretty skillful, but being able to control how your opponents head hits the ground is impossible.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
plugger66 wrote:If it hit his head he would have been knocked out or at least he would have a bruise on the side of his face. it obviously missed the head and thus it is agreat anf fair bump. If it hits him in the head and he is injured he gets suspended. Thats the risk.
You didn't watch the clip did you?

I'm pretty sure that the hit Dawson got suspended for wouldn't have caused an injury, it is possible to be hit in the head and not sustain an injury, it happens throughout all matches…

I still think there was contact to head, but the rule at the moment seems to be injury = suspension, no injury = no suspension, thats fine, Tarrant is in the clear.

A very similar bump broke Kosi's skull last time, these guys are pretty skillful, but being able to control how your opponents head hits the ground is impossible.
I saw it live and on TV. At no stage have I seen any hit to the head and again at the pace he was running if he was hit in the head there would have been some sort of injury. And if the bump had broken Kosi's skull this time he would have been suspended. That is the risk of the bump.