Reiwoldt ?????

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

we don't protect him that well IMO - that contributes

we consistently pass it to him when he's out numbered and often he gets crunched as a result

the number of times he gets the ball off the bounce only to be rubbed into the turf... and lets face it... if I was the opposition, I would hit him hard.

poor thread IMO

spert
Saintsational Legend

I think it's time to either rest Roo or plonk him at FF with instructions not to go out of a 30 mt arc. From now on, rob Peter to pay Paul and try Zac at CHF, at least he can take a grab and has mongrel about him and will hit opponents hard. Maybe bring Lynch back into the backline.

Leo.J
SS Life Member

Reiwoldt had 98% game time last night.

Megsie
Club Player

rooeys body language awful last night.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Re: Reiwoldt ?????

perfectionist wrote:
Barking Owl wrote:I have been reading this forum for some time now ....
Reiwoldt - Is he overrated......
His name is spelled Nick Riewoldt. If you can't remember how to spell it, don't guess, just use that Google thingy and it will help you. He is the captain after all.

Players who drag two opponents are rarely overrated, especially when they kick a couple of goals. Generally speaking, opposition coaches don't assign two players to negate someone who is no good or average. No matter how good he is, his simply cannot repair the skill errors of his teammates, some of whom think that kicking it to him in the general direction of the forward line equates to a pin point pass.
This. Make sense to you oh Barking Owl ? Also agree with Matrix - another new reg after a loss - and straight on the assault - no wonder folks make the Troll call :shock:

Stand your ground :shock:
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

I think the poor decision making was made by the running players.

either deliver it out for him to run onto, or kick it to another player.

Roo, before 1/2 time, led and led and led.

The ball was kicked at his heels or over his head, giving him no effing chance.

Other times we had players who had run free and they still kicked it to roo.

Riewoldt is good, and his weapon is pace. Our midfielders, with the exception of dal santo and goddard often didn't give him a chance.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
SteveStevens66
Club Player

bergsone wrote:Anyone else thing he seems to be struggling when ball is on the deck,doesnt look to me to be able to get down to the ball,maybe hammies are giving him grief still ,or maybe I am seeing things
Spot on!

When the ball hit the deck he either missed it completely or fumbled. It was really noticeable and quite sad because he always been excellent once the ball comes to ground.

Carna Saints!!!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Maybe its simply wear/tear with age.

He has played the toughest roleon ground for a decade. Perhaps what we are seeing is an elite player.......becoming a good player.

My god I hope to be wrong.

“Yeah….nah””
Barking Owl

This. Make sense to you oh Barking Owl ? Also agree with Matrix - another new reg after a loss - and straight on the assault - no wonder folks make the Troll call :shock:[/quote]

Apologies to Nick for the miss spelling of his name.

Still does not get away from the facts listed, which I note has created some good positive discussion - and isnt that what this is all about....

For the REAL TROLLS out there who like to pick on us newbies, I have been reading your comments for some time, been following StKilda for over 40 years through thick and thin, and (accept it or not) am entiltled to an opinion. Get over yourself.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Barking Owl wrote:This. Make sense to you oh Barking Owl ? Also agree with Matrix - another new reg after a loss - and straight on the assault - no wonder folks make the Troll call :shock:
Apologies to Nick for the miss spelling of his name.

Still does not get away from the facts listed, which I note has created some good positive discussion - and isnt that what this is all about....

For the REAL TROLLS out there who like to pick on us newbies, I have been reading your comments for some time, been following StKilda for over 40 years through thick and thin, and (accept it or not) am entiltled to an opinion. Get over yourself.[/quote]

No, you get over yourself. I couldn't give a shyster. Why come on here and for your first post go on the attack ? When you know most Saints are fired up after a loss, and some are looking for scapegoats.

Guess you couldn't find something positive to say - like finding some/any of the 22 who played well to comment on :shock:

Stand your ground :shock:
Winmar7Fan
Club Player

"Poor delivery not passing well enough to him","not protecting him well enough","too much pressure" all these things have always been there the main thing I can see as different in the conditions for him is he doesn't win the free kicks as much as before when he is climbed all over for some reason.

He also seems to pressure himself out of kicking straight for goal as well. You can see when he lines up he's absolutely s@#tting bricks and takes so long thinking about it he talks himself out of it.

Put simply for whatever reason he is not a shadow of the player he was like Superman thats had Kryptonite jammed up his a#se.

My concern is if he can ever get back anywhere near the level he was.

I bloody hope so because it's not just his own game but how much he lifts the confidence of the whole side with his sheer dominance up forward that has really depleated.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Riewoldt desperately needs another quality key position player down there to ease the burden of being expected to kick us a winning score.

It is a hell of a lot to ask of a guy who already has a confidence problem with his kicking and is continually up against two or three opponents.

And you can't rely on a small forward such as Milne to kick a bag every week.

You can't really launch it long, high and quick to a goalsneak like him, which means we have to pinpoint passes in and go indirect.

Walsh should have been tried already IMO, but possibly isn't considered ready?

Gamble is clever and will be good for us, but he doesn't really fit the bill as a KPP. He's more your third tall.

Johnson was doing okay for Sandringham earlier in the season, but didn't get a look in.

So who? Do we make the decision to turn a defender into a forward? Zac? Goddard?

ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

Riewoldt cant win one on ones anymore.

Riewoldt cant do anything when the ball hits the ground. Looks like he is in pain trying to bend over.

Point one i dont know why. I suppose he has simply been figured out. Point two i suspect the hamstring injury has had side effects we arent told about.

Now he is just a good player rather than the absolute match winning champion he has been for us in years past.

This is the reality we have to deal with.

Also good point on the lack of frees. You arm chop and have hands in the back all night on riewoldt and nothing is paid anymore.

What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

His tear will still be the thing his sub conscious remembers when sprinting off the line, especially against the Pies. He did well to lift himself up in the finals last year. He played last year like he wanted a premiership even if he struggled to walk again. He probably exceeded expectations and has come back down to earth. OI still think he will get back to something like the player he was again.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

spade…

stinger
Saintsational Legend

i actually find it painful and depressing to read this thread.....the guy needs a rest.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
sRaf
Club Player

Overrated is not the correct term. He's rated on what he has been, not what people believe he will be.

But he is under performing. In his current form, he cannot be our only avenue to goal. Too many times we hold up the ball or look for that one target. More times than not this results in an outnumbered contest and a turn over.

There's no doubt Roo has lost pace. He is not performing to what he was a couple of years ago. Better off adapting him into a new role sooner rather than later and bringing up someone else to assume a key role.

I'm of the belief Gilbert can be effective up forward. I'm also of the belief that we are a better side with Goddard down back. Switch their two positions, adapt Roo's game to make him a key target, not the key target and change the team's mentality to not always looks for that one target.

Also, bring back Gamble. He will be a decent forward if given the chance.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Roo appears mentally shot this year.

Was terrible against the filth.

Perhaps he was sooking over the GF loss last year?

I hope he is seeing a good shrink - his head is clearly still a big mess.
Clearly.

So very clearly.

I know. I, like you, have eyes that can penetrate the skull and watch the mind work.

Clearly the double, triple teaming him had nothing to do with anything.

It was all in his mind.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
quidnunc
Club Player

Barking Owl - you're certainly entitled to your opinion which created some thought provoking comments from other posters.

Really what forums are about and made enjoyable reading for a change.

Was there on the outer wing as a youngster flying the flag in '66 - still loyal, still passionate!
matrix
Saintsational Legend

Barking Owl wrote:Good on you Matrix, thanks for the positive comments.
Can you actually read? Others have agreeed!
Sorry for having an opinion, which is based on observation and evidence....
Is this forum a forum, or an elitist commentary for just a few..
Dont really appreciate the troll comment.....
yeah i can read
otherwise how else would i be able to comment?

so others have agreed, so what?
and you say sorry for having an opinion?????

didnt appreciate not being called a troll??
want me to call you one?

maybe its you who cannot actually read???

have another go and you might understand what was posted 8-)

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

This thread is outrageous. But seriously, like our club, 2012 will tell us a lot about where Roo is at with his career. This was the year he had to have.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

They just showed a short clip of the game against Essendon in 2009 when Roo had the kick after the siren to pinch the game off them, and give us 20 wins in a row.

He looked a different person, physically.

His arms were cut and and looked trim and fit. He looks very different now.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

ralphsmith wrote:Point one i dont know why. I suppose he has simply been figured out. Point two i suspect the hamstring injury has had side effects we arent told about.
he is carrying a knee injury atm

noob
Club Player

His body language sucks. Gets beaten in 1 on 1 contests regulary and blames his teammates for poor disposal. Even if the delivery is bad the player he is capable of being should be able to beat his opponent in a contest.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

The days of running ONE opponent into the ground are over…
Not only is he competing with 2-3 in the air, but teams are rotating defenders on him like midfielders…

We need to get smarter at using one of the best forwards in the game, because the way we are using him at the moment isn't working. There's no way he can blow-up his man if it changes every quarter… If he is dragging around 2-3 opponents, then where the F*** are our loose players and what are they doing?

Good sides have a dangerous forward line, not 2 dangerous forwards,

Milne Gehrig Koschitzke
Guerra Riewoldt Hamill

Try putting 3 defenders on Roo with that forward line…