Dawson bashing - it's laughable.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
CURLY wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
CURLY wrote:
Zac Attack wrote:when you attempt a tackle like that you deserve to be shot down big time. that was awful.
Very soft call by the ump. Krakour went low when he saw Dawson coming to shepard many umpires would simply ignore it for what it was.
Well if they did that it would be an error. Why wouldnt he have blocked instead of tackled. You cant tackle blokes who running after someone.
Seen the umps many times just ignore a blatant attempt to milk a free.
You are not answering the question and anyway if they ignored that last night it would have been an error.
Was it a error to not pay frees to Kosi and Roo when they were repeatadly taken high in marking contests? Maybe yes maybe no we see them payed then at times there not the same as Dawsons.
I have no idea what frees you are talking about. I am talking about the Dawson one and that is a free everyday of the week. Why didnt he bump him? Anyway it doesnt matter. Zac played well. he didnt cost ud the game and that decision didnt cost us the game. Our kicking certainly did have a lot of influence on the game however.

PJ
SS Life Member

Dawson's free on krakhead was there but lets face it he milked it for all its worth. You've gotta accept that that's going to happen in tightly fought games like this. Dawson was good and is developing, much maligned and rarely praised.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Well, best way to judge Zacs game, let's look at his opponents last month.

Travis Cloke

Rd 17
19 disp 9 marks 7 scoring shots

Rd 18
21 disp 10 marks 3 scoring shots

Rd 19
17 disp 5 marks 4 scoring shots

Rd 20
18 disp 8 marks 9 scoring shots

Rd 21
10 disp 6 marks 2 scoring shots

*Actually his equal lowest disposal count this year

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Well, best way to judge Zacs game, let's look at his opponents last month.

Travis Cloke

Rd 17
19 disp 9 marks 7 scoring shots

Rd 18
21 disp 10 marks 3 scoring shots

Rd 19
17 disp 5 marks 4 scoring shots

Rd 20

18 disp 8 marks 9 scoring shots

Rd 21
10 disp 6 marks 2 scoring shots

*Actually his equal lowest disposal count this year
Max would have done much better :twisted:

:sarcasm:

mohannair
Club Player

He was in our Top 5 for sure.

duckduckduckgoose
Club Player

A textbook case for why football games aren't played on stats sheets.

Zac is a liability down back, he trailed cloke by the length of the flemington straight all night.

The pies just didnt kick it to cloke last night.

I bought a shirt from Target once.
It had a hard tag on it too.

I know how Dal feels.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

duckduckduckgoose wrote:A textbook case for why football games aren't played on stats sheets.

Zac is a liability down back, he trailed cloke by the length of the flemington straight all night.

The pies just didnt kick it to cloke last night.
Rubbish.

Where were you sitting?

I was sitting behind the goals at the Lockett end, the two quarters played up this end he certainly worked extremely hard, got a fist in numerous times, applied pressure, positioned very well.

Collingwood did what they always do, they bombed the ball inside 50, but our defence was up to the task.

He is behind, because he has to spoil, you expect him to play in front and outbody him?

saintbob
SS Life Member

[quote="duckduckduckgoose"]A textbook case for why football games aren't played on stats sheets.

The pies just didnt kick it to cloke last night.[/

Finally someone who calls it how it is, this bloke is embarrassing and if he wasn't RL's lovechild would struggle to get a game in the VFL.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

wow...our defence has done better than any other defence bar geelongs against the best attack in the competition, and one of the best offensive sides seen in a while (170% or something)

they had 19 shots at goal. 2 of their goals came from outside 50, 1 was a BS fluke and the other a 50 metre penalty.

meanwhile we had 20 shots at goal (21 if you account for the one where two saints on their own managed to turn it over).

Even given our fluffing, we still held up pretty damn well. I would suspect, all but geelong would watch our game and see how we managed to hold a team to 19 shots at goal, of which 2 were outside 50, and still manage to rebound effectively.

But yeah, our defence is s*** and our defenders are rubbish.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
BallBanger
Club Player

saintbob wrote:
duckduckduckgoose wrote:A textbook case for why football games aren't played on stats sheets.

The pies just didnt kick it to cloke last night.[/

Finally someone who calls it how it is, this bloke is embarrassing and if he wasn't RL's lovechild would struggle to get a game in the VFL.
Zac has height, good to average pace and can jump...what he lacks is a footy brain which fogs his ability hand and foot and consistently handballs to disadvantage.
Hands are also average at best preferring often to go to ground to control the ball.
Do not feal safe with him one on one unlike max (i know he's gone).

It is our full on defensive pressure that keeps him from frequently being exposed

PJ
SS Life Member

My nomination for today's f###wit is........saintbob come on down

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

For the amount of times the ball came into defence - I thought Dawson did a very good job on Cloke.

Think he had 2 errors, the high tackle (on that soft AK who plays for frees) and a maybe a throw. At least twice in the second half, he left his man to spoil well in a contest.

People must just see a name, and associate that with poor performance :shock:
Last edited by MCG-Unit on Sat 13 Aug 2011 6:36pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stand your ground :shock:
Megsie
Club Player

Bashers never have a night off.........perfect in every way !!!
Zac bashers are boring negative nellies.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Had a good night Zac,, although that kick down back was a shocker and honestly should not be seen at AFL. Good night, played good. Really like his attack on the ball.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
bergsone
SS Life Member

I felt like BASHING him when he gave away that free kick,happy to keep Cloke to those stats :x :wink:

BallBanger
Club Player

PJ wrote:
My nomination for today's f###wit is........saintbob come on down
I nominate you..f###wanker

childish isn't it!

Moods
Saintsational Legend

hayes66 wrote:
Moods wrote:
hayes66 wrote:I dont want to "zac bash" as i dont mind him, but it seems most people are at extremes either way. The fact is he is not a very gifted player but he can put in a good performance on occasion and tries hard. This week he was pretty good and I thought his last quarter was fantastic so the "pro zacs" win the argument but he will play a shocker (all to frequently) again and the anti zacs will come out. This represents how I fill with him, he is neither here nor there. Early in the year I thought he was horrible in a few games but now his fought back in a couple. I think he might be good enough to be in the team but I dont like relying on him as our main key back, as he does get beaten too easily sometimes. I think the "pro zacs" are a little too contempt with mediocrity, yeah zacs not too bad, but at times him as key back is where our team is lacking and its not wrong to want to get better than zac dawson.
No worries hayes66 - your entitled to your opinion. Just curious. can you tell me the last time Zac played a shocker and who it was against?

yeah from what i remember i thought he was disappointing last time we played pies and hawks earlier in the year, the first time we played the crows definitely stands out as a bad game.
I probably agree with you. But you have proven my point. BJ has actually put in far more shockers this year, as have most of the snr players. Do they get called out and told that they are likely to play a shocker next week? Zac has been consistently good for about 6-8 weeks - actually since we started winning. He deserves credit for that. We'd all love to see him play the perfect game and make no errors down back. All errors down back are magnified I reckon. Personally I reckon we have no-one even close who can play his position as well. I get as frustrated as everyone else with his errors, but in the cold light of day I reckon you have to admit, he does his job.

Winmar
Club Player

Zac was very good, as he so often is. I don't understand why some people get on his back.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

when dal makes a mistake, its one of those things, when dawson makes a mistake, he's terrible. forget the 10 things he does right, its the 1 thing he does wrong.

We all do that.

I think the team did admirably last night.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

This type of topic especially with the topic heading just incites more Dawson bashing....

Certainly had the better of Cloke. One of our best for the night.

hayes66
Club Player

Moods wrote:
hayes66 wrote:
Moods wrote:
hayes66 wrote:I dont want to "zac bash" as i dont mind him, but it seems most people are at extremes either way. The fact is he is not a very gifted player but he can put in a good performance on occasion and tries hard. This week he was pretty good and I thought his last quarter was fantastic so the "pro zacs" win the argument but he will play a shocker (all to frequently) again and the anti zacs will come out. This represents how I fill with him, he is neither here nor there. Early in the year I thought he was horrible in a few games but now his fought back in a couple. I think he might be good enough to be in the team but I dont like relying on him as our main key back, as he does get beaten too easily sometimes. I think the "pro zacs" are a little too contempt with mediocrity, yeah zacs not too bad, but at times him as key back is where our team is lacking and its not wrong to want to get better than zac dawson.
No worries hayes66 - your entitled to your opinion. Just curious. can you tell me the last time Zac played a shocker and who it was against?

yeah from what i remember i thought he was disappointing last time we played pies and hawks earlier in the year, the first time we played the crows definitely stands out as a bad game.
I probably agree with you. But you have proven my point. BJ has actually put in far more shockers this year, as have most of the snr players. Do they get called out and told that they are likely to play a shocker next week? Zac has been consistently good for about 6-8 weeks - actually since we started winning. He deserves credit for that. We'd all love to see him play the perfect game and make no errors down back. All errors down back are magnified I reckon. Personally I reckon we have no-one even close who can play his position as well. I get as frustrated as everyone else with his errors, but in the cold light of day I reckon you have to admit, he does his job.

Yeah BJ has put in some shockers but because of the talent his displayed in the past i still feel safe when his near it. Zac does do a job and looking at it, you are right his last 6-8 have probably been good, but he makes me nervous and i do feel he will let us down again. Whenever its kicked and his near it i dont back him and I always fear a silly mistake. A lots been spoken about it on this forum so i dont want to ignite another debate about it but I would have liked to see tommy walsh given ago at some stage, especially when zac has been out. Put some time into him and he may be that safe big body to play on the power forwards, we wont know till we try it. Anyway good on you for having a discussion about it rather than being abusive and extreme with your comments

PJ
SS Life Member

I nominate you..f###wanker

childish isn't it!
No actually ppl that jump on the sh*t bagging wagon deserve it. ppl that feel the need to assume moral high ground are even worse.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Re: Dawson bashing - it's laughable.

Sam23 wrote:I cannot believe after his performance tonight that he is copping some heat from some of the posters on here?

Cannot believe it.

Terrible mistake to take Krakouer high. But lets try and name 3 players that didn't make a poor mistake tonight that they shouldn't have?

He has a tag in the AFL community as a poor player, but I'd hoped that Saints supporters could look past that, obviously they can't.

Cloke, the premier forward of the competition, 10 touches 6 marks 2 goals.

Josh Kennedy, 10 touches 6 marks 1 goal.

Petrie, 9 touches 1 mark 2 goals.

Probably the 3 power forwards of the league this year and he has beaten them all.

He can be crude at times, and sometimes can make a blue, but gee - come on take off the Zac bashing glasses.

good post...

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Christian Moretti

PJ wrote:Dawson's free on krakhead was there but lets face it he milked it for all its worth. You've gotta accept that that's going to happen in tightly fought games like this. Dawson was good and is developing, much maligned and rarely praised.
I'd hope to see Daweson eliminate some of the silly mistakes from his game, as minor as some are they are going to be costly. Like this free to Krakouer, it was just stupid but he's still not the worst player around.

Certainly shows signs of improvement, just needs to remove some brainfades.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I thought Zac played a good game against the ragpies. I have posted comments criticising aspects of Zac Dawson's game, I make no apologies for that as I feel entitled to make comments as a member (and therefore one who helps pay his wage) However, I'm also happy to give credit where its due. Zac is young and will improve. Good on him!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)