The latest innovation?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

The latest innovation?

What is the latest coaching innovation/tactic to hit the competition? The Swans gave us stoppage football in 2005, the cat's played "complete football" in 2007, next came clarko's cluster in 2008, while the Lyon cage in 2009 was followed by the 'pies updated version in 2010. So what's this year's innovation?

I'm nominating Chris Scott from Geelong as setting the newest trend. That is the systematic rotation of players through his side. He has made a lie of the old football truism of stability in selection and that the fewer changes you make, the better off the side is. He hasn't been afraid to make up to six changes at a time, even when the side has been winning, at the same time exposing young and inexperienced players to the "big time".

The results speak for themselves. Just two losses, a virtually guaranteed top two finish and a crop of youngsters who are the envy of all other clubs. Christensen, Vardy, West, Taylor Hunt, Duncan, Menzel and Motlop (I'm sure I've missed a few) have all shown they can cut it at the highest level, with a couple of them becoming important members of the side. It appears that the cat's aging core will be replaced with less pain than previously thought.

I notice the 'pies has followed suit, with Fasolo and Keefe the shining lights amongst their latest crop of newcomers. Of course there are some conditions that come with this latest trend. You have to have genuine depth on your list and you have to have an outstanding development program that can identify talent amongst the lower reaches of the draft and then convert it to on-field performance.

The top two have a significant advantage in that they have stand alone reserves/VFL sides. The advantage of training and playing your own without consideration for outside interests, while drilling them according to your specific needs is further borne out in the "fast tracking" of the young cats and magpies. They seem to be developing quicker than others, both because they are playing in good sides and because of the development systems.

Ross Lyon has passionately argued for a stand alone reserves team, but the current arrangement with Sandy is in place until 2014. If the board continues with the current arrangement until then, I fear we will have missed a significant opportunity to keep pace with the trendsetters.

What do you all think, forumites?

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
stevie
Saintsational Legend

Drugs and a s*** load of money?

jays
Club Player

thats for sure

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Alright. Apart from the sh*tloads of money and performance enhancing drugs!

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Ice Wolf
Club Player

stevie wrote:Drugs and a s*** load of money?
That's not an innovation, the "big" clubs have been doing that for decades. Collingwood working out how not to get caught that's the innovation.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

what was said on one of th efooty shows the other night? (footy classified?)
that the diff between the top and the bottom was 75 million?

crazy shite

Griggsy
SS Life Member

Is the handoff NFL style incorrect disposal? i.e holding the ball out for a teammate to take from your hands.

I think it is illegal but I think it would lead to some creative new plays for clearance work. Wonder if it would instantly be called up by the ump or would be something addressed the week after.
Something like this to put the defence off balance and open a path up for a clean kick.
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... se+handoff

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Griggsy wrote:Is the handoff NFL style incorrect disposal? i.e holding the ball out for a teammate to take from your hands.
yes