Can the Zac Attack do exactly that and play in attack?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Strangle 'em Saints

Can the Zac Attack do exactly that and play in attack?

With Blake playing well last week at FB could we give Dawson at crack at full forward??.. He's taken some great marks at full pace lately and seems to have a penetrating left boot.. Having lined up on some of the best forwards in the comp surely he has an idea how to play full forward.. With collingwoods tall backs I think we will just see our smalls get monstered without another big body to help roo (and avoid another case of triple teaming)...

B Clarke Blake Gilbert

HB Gram Fisher Dempster

C Goddard Dal Santo Monty

HF Schneider Roo Peake

F Gamble Dawson Milne

R BigMac Jones Steven

I Kosi Ray Armo/Polo Geary (Sub)

I am however concerned that if we take out one of armo/ray/polo/gamble out then we will loose run if we we replace them with Dawson...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Our best FB goes foward because we have to many bakman. How about our best FB stays there and either another backman moves somewhere else or is dropped.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Our best FB goes foward because we have to many bakman. How about our best FB stays there and either another backman moves somewhere else or is dropped.
Would serve him right for getting reported :wink:

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

PUT HIM FORWARD...pardon... he might learn to watch the ball rather than the man!
but i was rather hoping we might try and win it this week - so let's not.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

You'd think Blake goes back out, but Ross must be tempted to retain him to follow Leigh Brown around.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Our best FB goes foward because we have to many bakman. How about our best FB stays there and either another backman moves somewhere else or is dropped.
Don's start me on this argument!

The question is what is optimum for the team?

Blake was almost bog - so I cant see him going out.

Gamble is injured isnt he?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:

Agree and that is why your best FB plays FB. Can someone tell me Zac's record as a FF in the AFL. Doubt he has a record.

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

I'd seriously hope Blake gets the job again over Dawson this week. But knowing Ross and his manlove for Dawson, it'll be Dawson :lol: .......damnit!

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

St. Luke wrote:I'd seriously hope Blake gets the job again over Dawson this week. But knowing Ross and his manlove for Dawson, it'll be Dawson :lol: .......damnit!
Did Dawson all of a sudden lose form with the week off. Last week RL was an idiot in playing Blake and now you want to leave out our best FB. A week is a long time in footy.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

Agree and that is why your best FB plays FB. Can someone tell me Zac's record as a FF in the AFL. Doubt he has a record.
Gilbert can't play in the forward line so for the life of me I cannot comprehend what makes people think Zac can play forward becuause he just can't.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

He was recruited after a great season at box hill as a forward. We thought that's what we got, he just happened to actually be the right size for the FB. His form at Hawthorn didn't sell his credentials as a backman. He did kick a game winning goal against Carlton a couple of years ago.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:He was recruited after a great season at box hill as a forward. We thought that's what we got, he just happened to actually be the right size for the FB. His form at Hawthorn didn't sell his credentials as a backman. He did kick a game winning goal against Carlton a couple of years ago.
He was recruited as a FB. May have played forward in some games for Box Hill but never in the AFL and yes he did kick an important goal in a game against Carlton but so has Dustin Fletcher and Matthew Scarlett. Luckily our coach will take no notice of this thread and play him FB or not play him at all.

To the top
SS Life Member

Does not have the skill set to play forward.

We will actually have 2 returning to our backline this week.

This is because Fisher had the tagging job on Pavlich following Pavlich around the ground.

Consequently Blake played the Fisher role, the floater in defence with no direct opponent and accululated his disposals accordingly.

So, with Fisher and (assumably) Dawson to return to our defence, who goes out?

Dawson is the one who will make a difference to our defensive structure because that means Clarke can "drop a size" in his match up - and doesn't he do particularly well against bigger opponents.

What all this means is that Blake actually replaced Fisher last Friday - and what position remains for Blake given Koschitzke's continuing very good form including setting us alight when he went onto the ball 10 minutes into the last - and then continuing on ball until the final siren?

Blake can not play forward, unfortunately.

It is forward that we need resources because the "free man back" means Roo is double teamed at least - and has no assistance as a target.

Milne in particular got too far up the ground last Friday hence there was no support at all for Roo on too many occasions.

And, in the 3rd quarter, when Kosi was in the square, we kept going to an outnumbered Roo instead of lifting the eyes and hitting the hot spot - mind you Kosi was the lone St Kilda player in that vicinity also.

Gamble was again poor.

Wouldn't is be great if Blake could bring some grabs, an alternate leading option and some leg speed defence to the forward line - and grab a couple of goals to force someone to be accountable but still impact.

But that will not happen.

Hence the conundrum of what to do with Blake now that Fisher returns to the defence.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I never said to play him anywhere, simply putting a case for why people may call it. I think he is a very good FB and don't think you flirt with form in big games. He was recruited as, if I remember correctly as a forward.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

will use Blake can play HFF and rotate off the back line.

Fisher can do a run with role with a tall forward or midfielder.

Goddard can play HFF, FF, CHF, Wing

Zac will play defence.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Great game by Blake on Friday - no way will he be tipped out this week - can easily have Dawson and Blake in the same side/backline with Coll's tall forwards :shock:

Stand your ground :shock:
jays
Club Player

not a bad kick at goal also played lots of footy there for box hill and done quite well

stevie
Saintsational Legend

Don't think Zac should play on cloke though - not strong enough. Chips will take him maybe.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:will use Blake can play HFF and rotate off the back line.

Fisher can do a run with role with a tall forward or midfielder.

Goddard can play HFF, FF, CHF, Wing

Zac will play defence.
I sincerely hope not. Haven't we learnt over 194 games and 12 years that Blake is a defender and that is it????

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

I've learned over blakes career that he will go where the coach tells him, not sook and play his heart out.

I've learned his on field decision making is average.

i've learned his field kicking is precise

I've learned he can't run fast

I've learned he can run straight and hard

I've learned he is an above average mark

i've learned if he can get a mark he rarely misses a shot on goal.

I've learned he is not a very clever lead (compared to say rieowoldt)

I've learned he will hold his ground like a Pill Box.

I've learned he has an above average leap and if asked to run into the man, will do so.

I've learned that Blake is a highly intelligent and thoughtful young man.

If the coach tells him to run up and down the half forward flank, mark anything his way and ether shoot at goal or pass to CHF he will do so with far more ability than many others.

I've learned that he is NOT goddard, or riewoldt or dal santo but blake. He is a pawn on the chess board of footy.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:I've learned over blakes career that he will go where the coach tells him, not sook and play his heart out.

I've learned his on field decision making is average.

i've learned his field kicking is precise

I've learned he can't run fast

I've learned he can run straight and hard

I've learned he is an above average mark

i've learned if he can get a mark he rarely misses a shot on goal.

I've learned he is not a very clever lead (compared to say rieowoldt)

I've learned he will hold his ground like a Pill Box.

I've learned he has an above average leap and if asked to run into the man, will do so.

I've learned that Blake is a highly intelligent and thoughtful young man.

If the coach tells him to run up and down the half forward flank, mark anything his way and ether shoot at goal or pass to CHF he will do so with far more ability than many others.

I've learned that he is NOT goddard, or riewoldt or dal santo but blake. He is a pawn on the chess board of footy.
Excellent post my learned friend :D

Shaggy
Club Player

Based on your logic Silvagni, Jezza, Ablett, Lynch and Bradshaw amonst others should never have played as FFs because they were great up the ground.

Cowboy, G-Train, Trevor Barker , Barry Lawrence & Verdun Howell were great both ends. Bob Murray started as FF.

The op is interesting because JB shouldn’t be dropped whilst Zac actually can play forward and IMO JB, Chips & Gilbert are useless as forwards.

Yarran and Davis are both up for All Australian this year playing opposite ends of the ground they are known for.

There are similar skills to the opposite ends of the ground albeit forward line is much harder to play because of the turn element. You may not be aware of this from watching rather than playing footy at decent level.

Whilst I wouldn’t play Zac forward this week the question is good for debate even if you don’t like change.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Shaggy wrote:
Based on your logic Silvagni, Jezza, Ablett, Lynch and Bradshaw amonst others should never have played as FFs because they were great up the ground.

Cowboy, G-Train, Trevor Barker , Barry Lawrence & Verdun Howell were great both ends. Bob Murray started as FF.

The op is interesting because JB shouldn’t be dropped whilst Zac actually can play forward and IMO JB, Chips & Gilbert are useless as forwards.

Yarran and Davis are both up for All Australian this year playing opposite ends of the ground they are known for.

There are similar skills to the opposite ends of the ground albeit forward line is much harder to play because of the turn element. You may not be aware of this from watching rather than playing footy at decent level.

Whilst I wouldn’t play Zac forward this week the question is good for debate even if you don’t like change.
I shouldnt even respond when you are comparing those names to Zac. Zac is and will always be only a FB. He doesnt have any of the skills needed for a FF apart from being a good kick. He cops it on here for not looking at the ball. Hardly a good idea for a FF. Do you want me to mention Shanahan and Frawley. They were never tried forward because coaches can see certain skills in footballers. And the most annoying part of this is because of one week out we want to move our best FB just to fit lesser players in the side. Last week there was uproar on here for picking Blake now we want to keep him but make a new position for Zac when it isnt required.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

How did chips go last year when he was tried in the forward line?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Shaggy wrote:

I shouldnt even respond when you are comparing those names to Zac. Zac is and will always be only a FB. He doesnt have any of the skills needed for a FF apart from being a good kick. He cops it on here for not looking at the ball. Hardly a good idea for a FF. Do you want me to mention Shanahan and Frawley. They were never tried forward because coaches can see certain skills in footballers. And the most annoying part of this is because of one week out we want to move our best FB just to fit lesser players in the side. Last week there was uproar on here for picking Blake now we want to keep him but make a new position for Zac when it isnt required.

Zac shouldn't have got himself reported. Looks like he's coming back in as a key forward. :wink:

FWIW, I think Zac easily has the skills to play as a forward. Fast, good hands, good kick. And lets be honest, we could do with a key forward (other than Milne) who can kick goals.

Won't happen though.

But Blake should not be dropped on that performance.