Time to bring in WALSH as a third tall forward...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Time to bring in WALSH as a third tall forward...

LYON has to be bold and change things up if he wants to threaten the Pies this week. We need to find and ace to bring us closer to the top 4 teams aand IMO Tommy WALSH is just that!

The Pies like to play taller players on Milne and Schneider knowing they are not going to threaten them with their marking. They physically out mucsle both players and shut down our main scoring avenues.

IMO I think we need to keep there third tall backman busy and bring in another tall to play forward. It's time to play Walsh in replacement of Gamble. I know it is a huge ask for his first game but the guy is an older recruit and has played major roles for his country, so this shouldn't be any more imtimidating.

I really think he is the player who can go to another level if given the opportunity for the Saints. If he doesn't work up forward he can release Fisher or Gilbert forward. The other beneift is he can hold the main full forward post and ROO can play further up the ground or have Tommy lead his player away from ROO so they cant triple team him all game.

No point in playing it safe Ross - it's time role the dice and give the big fella a go and make there defence accountable! Get the team excited by his introduction and pump the big fella up and see if he cant intimidate some of the back line and get them looking around?

For the sake of 2011 please take a risk ROSS and back the big fella in!!!!
Last edited by WinnersOnly on Sun 07 Aug 2011 9:17pm, edited 1 time in total.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
sainterinsydney
Club Player

Amen, brother! We can't do the same old thing and expect a different result. We need an x-factor to take it up to Collingwood!

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

I think trying a random new kid when he's got the team on the verge of purring is foolish.

I suspect he'll bring in dawson and baker and we'll win.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

It's worth a try to be honest. We're expected to lose anyway. May as well give him a run and If Gamble is injured, I'd be happier for Walsh to come in instead of Lynch. Lynch is a bit soft at the contest to play a seasoned psychical team like the Filth. Bring in a big bodied Walsh.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:It's worth a try to be honest. We're expected to lose anyway. May as well give him a run and If Gamble is injured, I'd be happier for Walsh to come in instead of Lynch. Lynch is a bit soft at the contest to play a seasoned psychical team like the Filth. Bring in a big bodied Walsh.
I dont' think we are expecting to lose.

I expect RL to pick the best players on form, and hit collingwood like the crimson bolt hits rude people.

SHUT UP KRIME!
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

On the verge of purring...wow!

Dan Warna wrote:I think trying a random new kid when he's got the team on the verge of purring is foolish.

I suspect he'll bring in dawson and baker and we'll win.
Dan Warna surley you dont think we will challenge Collingwood with the same defensive set ups. We need to take some risks...

Reality we beat Port by 50 points
Collingwood beat Port by 130 points.

Reality we beat GCS by 20 points
Geelong beat GCS by 150 points.

I would rather go into the game giving our blokes a chance of winning than going into the game planning for an admiral loss !

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

Our wins have been based on absorbing their attack and retaliating.

I don't see how one junior player is going to suddenly change our game plan...

SHUT UP KRIME!
goddardisgod
Club Player

Let's be even more BOLD!!!

Promote Andreoli and Curren, play them with Walsh, Sippos and Simpkin, who come in for Gamble, Polo, Riewoldt, Joey and Blake.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

goddardisgod wrote:Let's be even more BOLD!!!

Promote Andreoli and Curren, play them with Walsh, Sippos and Simpkin, who come in for Gamble, Polo, Riewoldt, Joey and Blake.

:roll: :roll: :roll:
I don't believe it's even that bold bringing in Walsh. If Gamble is out then you'd think Walsh will come into strong consideration. He's a forward and has been playing quite well for Sandy. You'd think it would be between him, Lynch and Johnson (if they're going for the same mix of forwards and backs).

degruch
Saintsational Legend

He's a backman...why debut the guy in our forward line? Madness.

With Dawes out and Baker in, were probably a good match height wise down back. I think if we stick to our guns, and the form of our key senior players continues to improve, we'll go pretty well.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Hasn't he recently been groomed as a forward?

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:Hasn't he recently been groomed as a forward?
Where's our Sandy experts? He's been down back for the best part of 2 seasons from what I've read...he was a forward at Kerry, which is where I think the confusion comes from.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

nope
only made 6th best today for sandy

spade him

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:nope
only made 6th best today for sandy

spade him
Irrelevant according to the Einsteins here.

He's Irish so MUST play.

He's tall so MUST play.

He hasn't played so far this year so MUST player.

Gee, it's obvious :lol:

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Went over your head, ey?

matrix
Saintsational Legend

yeah well most people duck if they see a spade coming at their noggin 8-)

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Well played sir

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Okay, I'll come at this from another angle.

The Saints are heading for another finals campaign. We are currently beset with injuries, many of who will not be back this year. Sure we can still put a handy 22 on the park but our depth is seriously compromised. There's simply not that much available at Sandy at the moment.

IMO, IF Ross wants to have Walsh as an option for the finals it's imperative he has a look at him in the regular season.

So depending on how Ross views things he may sneak him in at some stage over the next 4 weeks, even if some (many) on here don't think he's shown enough so far.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

When did we last beat them?

Dan Warna wrote:Our wins have been based on absorbing their attack and retaliating.

1. Dan Warna when did we last beat Collingwood?

2. Dan Warna he is not a junior - he is a mature aged recruit with a mature body.

3. He is an elite gaelic footballer who IMO has plenty of upside playing at the top level. IMO he is one player who has another couple of gears to go if given the opportunity and excitement.

4. He has played as much forward and rucking this year as he has played down back. It is all part of his development!

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Re: When did we last beat them?

WinnersOnly wrote:
Dan Warna wrote:Our wins have been based on absorbing their attack and retaliating.

1. Dan Warna when did we last beat Collingwood?

2. Dan Warna he is not a junior - he is a mature aged recruit with a mature body.

3. He is an elite gaelic footballer who IMO has plenty of upside playing at the top level. IMO he is one player who has another couple of gears to go if given the opportunity and excitement.

4. He has played as much forward and rucking this year as he has played down back. It is all part of his development!
Quite simply not yet ready.

Though you people would have had your tail between your legs and red faces after your silly calls for Walsh ahead of Blake.

Blake on Friday made you all look extremely silly.

Really poor call without any basis of fact. :roll:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Furphy
Club Player

Playing TW against the filth would be a real baptism of fire! :wink:

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

If Gamble doesn't come up, Walsh should certainly be a consideration for this type of tough game. He will at least add a physical prescence. Who else would be an option?

Lynch has played a few games and is not yet up to this standard of AFL football. Will Johnson is not yet up to it either.

Gardy would be one tall too many.

Richter
SS Life Member

If Gamble doesn't come up then we have a few options, though none particularly stand out.....

1. Bring in Zac and rotate Blake, Gilbert through half forward

Zac in and Blake out. Bring in a third Tall e.g....

2. Lynch

3. Johnson

4. Walsh

=============

Out of these options I personally prefer the Walsh option. In the longer run he has heaps of potential. Who knows how ready he is? None of the junior players are "ready", yet for instance Sippos impressed when given a chance at the higher level. Ditto Ledger and Cripps. Smith and Winmar less so. Lynch still to make much of an impression either way, and Johnson only got half a game.

Ross has hinted for a while that Walsh is on the verge of selection. I agree. The time is now.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Richter wrote:
, and Johnson only got half a game.

Yes great shame that he got knocked oy...as he has looked good with his pace, marking and ability to actually kick goals.

At 191 cm wit good mobility he is a handy height.

I would actually like to see him or Walsh given a crack if Gamble is out.

With the Pies they normally put a taller defender on Milne. If we have Roo, Kosi and Walsh/Johnno floating about that will not as achievable.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
Richter wrote:
, and Johnson only got half a game.

Yes great shame that he got knocked oy...as he has looked good with his pace, marking and ability to actually kick goals.

At 191 cm wit good mobility he is a handy height.

I would actually like to see him or Walsh given a crack if Gamble is out.

With the Pies they normally put a taller defender on Milne. If we have Roo, Kosi and Walsh/Johnno floating about that will not as achievable.
Zac is an automatic 1st in.

For those suffering "Walsh in OCD", we would need, say, Gamble out plus one other.

Fire away..........