Team vs freo

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

AlpineStars
Club Player

Walsh should be in.

Wake me up when September ends.
To the top
SS Life Member

I really do not know what some on here want - or why.

In my view, missing from our established player resources who would normally be in a full strength side are Hayes, Gwilt, Dawson and Gardiner.

Gardiner I would expect will work his way back in over the coming weeks.

Dawson is out suspended for a week and, whilst I have my misgivings and would love to see a viable back up putting pressure on, Dawson's 195cm and 95kg gives him the full back position currently.

The players I would question in the 22 we have chosen for tomorrow night are Geary, Gamble and Blake.

I am not sold on Gamble. His direct opponent was BOG on him until moved forward last weekend - and the only time Gamble got a sniff was up on a centre wing in circle work - because we had no forwards.

Dempster and Peake were in my sights, but both have improved significantly although needing to keep the performances going.

Peake's pace is particularly an asset, especially when closing down space to an opposition player with the ball. He has been particularly effective in attack over recent weeks - giving chase pressure Milne and Schnieder can not give - plus kicking goals.

We have in the side McEvoy, Steven and Armitage who are all just starting out on their AFL journey - and are showing all the signs of consolidating into very good footballers.

On the injury list we have Sippos (5 games), Crocker (0 games), Stanley (9 games), Cripps (4 games) and Ledger (2 games).

Lynch, Simpkin, Archer and Johnson have also been given a look - noting Archer and Johnson have missed also thru injury over recent weeks.

Injury has stalled some such as Cahill.

I am on the record as wanting small forwards with superior pace - and I am one who looks for the transition of the likes of Cripps and Ledger, who have superior pace, into our AFL side - but this will be at the expense of Milne and/or Schnieder.

Steven threatened one of them, but has quickly graduated to the mids and by-passed the forward/some mid phase of his development.

So, given this resume and the number of those we have blooded in 2011 now carrying injury (which is not unusual), what else do you want?

We have 3 "kids" in our team currently, all pulling their weight.

Yes, the likes of Stanley, Sippos, Cripps and Ledger forcing their way in will be nice - but they have to force their way in - they ARE in competition with players currently in the 22 - as are/will be Hayes, Gwilt, Gardiner and Dawson.

The "spine" is set with Koschitzke and Riewoldt occupying the 2 key positions forward, Fisher and Dawson (somewhat by default) occupying the 2 key defensive positions and McEvoy and Gardiner as the 2 rucks.

Given this summary, who drops out given injury does not create opportunity?

And when the likes of (say) Geary, Gamble and Blake drop out as I would expect they will in 2011 - who takes their positions?

Dawson for Blake.

Koschitzke for Gamble with Gardiner to ruck.

That leaves Geary - and given the spine and the rucks are covered as they are, that means a mid-field (substitute) option is available - or maybe a Lynch or a Gamble subject to improved form.

But who does not play in the forward 5 or 6 then?

Next season when hopefully the likes of Cripps, Ledger, Stanley and Sippos demand to be chosen the fun really starts.

Particularly with Hayes and Gwilt back.

But that is next year!

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

bob__71 wrote:
barks4eva wrote:
fingers wrote:I'm really not sure who people would like him to bring in. We are battling for a finals birth and a home final and people expect him to bring in someone who has NEVER played a game.
WALSH

AND WHY has he not played a game?

Walsh should have been playing AFL football at least ten weeks ago.

His form is worthy of selection and the need for developing young players such as Walsh and providing them with an opportunity is paramount to any chance we might have.

We are not going to win anything with the same old retreads.

Selecting Blake is a waste of time and another opportunity gone begging.

We are as you say "battling" and that's about as good as it gets with this conservative nonsense!

Are the filth and Geelong battling?
I am now worried that walsh will be a dud. We all know barks form when it comes to picking big strong footballers.
The whole Rix thing was joke from start to finish!

Perspicacity and Perspicuity are in rather short supply on this site.

Evidenced by how many numbnuts and apologist clowns took umbrage when I had Thomas sacked!

Griggsy
SS Life Member

Really thought Blake had played his last game. He has been a good utility over the years but it is his time. But Walsh with games under his belt will offer more than an aging blake. Possibly playing a similar utility role with his size.

Lyon must rate the team highly for finals with Blake must likely retiring at the end of the year. No doubt Ross has put more thought into it than I have so in ross i trust

matrix
Saintsational Legend

blakey was always going to come in

i dont think tommy is going to get a game this year
and i of course want to see him in the side and stay in the side

TTT's post is a thumbs up

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:I am not sold on Gamble. His direct opponent was BOG on him until moved forward last weekend
His direct opponent (Bock) is a key position player.

Gamble is a flanker and could develop into a damaging one. It was a mismatch in body size/strength.

Shaggy
Club Player

barks4eva wrote: The whole Rix thing was joke from start to finish!
It wasn't but you were.

Leo.J
SS Life Member

barks4eva wrote:The whole Rix thing was joke from start to finish!

Evidenced by how many numbnuts and apologist clowns took umbrage when I had Thomas sacked!
Sure it was Barks... a bit of revisionist history there.

So what now you want to sack Lyon for not debuting a player in one of the most crucial games of the year so far.

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:
bob__71 wrote:
barks4eva wrote:
fingers wrote:I'm really not sure who people would like him to bring in. We are battling for a finals birth and a home final and people expect him to bring in someone who has NEVER played a game.
WALSH

His form is worthy of selection and the need for developing young players such as Walsh and providing them with an opportunity is paramount to any chance we might have.

We are as you say "battling" and that's about as good as it gets with this conservative nonsense!

I am now worried that walsh will be a dud. We all know barks form when it comes to picking big strong footballers.

I KNEW IT!!!!!

:lol:

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
To the top
SS Life Member

Bock was on Gamble last week - and towelled him up big time.

To the extent where Bock was BOG - until moved forward late where Clarke picked him up and chopped him out of the game.

Agree Gamble is not a KPP.

Perhaps you could look at the reason Bock was on Gamble then?

What that tells us is the bleeding obvious.

And the reason we ran around playing circle work last week without troubling the scorer.

We managed a measly 10 goals and half of those came in 5 minutes of football.

Riewoldt was out suspended.

Koschitzke was principally rucking and only had occasional stints forward - when he at least broke even with Bock taking a couple of marks to Bock's one when Bock tripped Kosi putting him off balance and the ball fell on Bock's chest.

Discounting Lynch, who was very quiet and on and off the ground accordingly, that left our tallest forward at 183cm.

And Bock picked him up.

Gamble was thrashed, getting his disposals in circle work and around the centre of the ground - hence no impact on the scoreboard.

The jury is still well and truly out.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

fingers wrote:
AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:
That's right. It's called having guts.
So now we select players according to which selection takes the most guts??
Hell no, but I believe we take the "safe" option at times, by selecting someone who may not be the best option, because they're scared to take a chance on someone who is "untried". That's when not taking the gutsy option is a mistake, IMO. As I said, I believe there are a lot more reasons why it would be beneficial for Tommy to play than Blake, this week, in a game we are expected to win comfortably.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
I dont have guts
I believe you're being a bit harsh on yourself there, but when it comes to selection and being willing to try new things, you don't need to tell me that.
You can have as much "logic" as you want, but without guts you won't get too far. There's a reason the saying goes "no guts no glory", not "no logic no glory".

degruch
Saintsational Legend

fingers wrote:
Hell no, but I believe we take the "safe" option at times, by selecting someone who may not be the best option, because they're scared to take a chance on someone who is "untried". That's when not taking the gutsy option is a mistake, IMO. As I said, I believe there are a lot more reasons why it would be beneficial for Tommy to play than Blake, this week, in a game we are expected to win comfortably.
Just the wrong game for Tommy, we need to win and win well. We don't need a big noobie down back for this game. Freo are lame at the moment, but they've been in the 8 all year, we only just arrived - respect. Pav is not the guy to blood a first gamer on.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

:?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:The coach is ultra conservative . He never dared to win a flag. Just tried not to lose one.
If that is the case he should be sacked. Do you think he should be sacked?
nope. hes still an effing good coach with an effing good win:loss record and an effing good finals record. just reckon he improve 1 or 2% thats all.

who are you george w bush? u are either with us against us! its not one extreme or the other. By making a slight suggestion for a tweak doesnt mean im against him.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

degruch wrote:
fingers wrote:
Just the wrong game for Tommy, we need to win and win well. We don't need a big noobie down back for this game. Freo are lame at the moment, but they've been in the 8 all year, we only just arrived - respect. Pav is not the guy to blood a first gamer on.
I certainly wasn't suggesting we play Tommy on Pavlich. I think Sam Fisher has performed that role with aplomb in the past and will do again tonight.
Again, I would back us to win with Tommy there this week, probably playing both up forward and down back. And again, if we aren't good enough to beat Freo, who apparently have 10 of their best 22 out (including by far their most important- Sandilands), are coming off a bad loss, have not beaten us in 4 years and are playing us on our home ground, then we aren't likely to be getting anywhere near a Collingwood or Geelong, so we would then be better off giving the likes of Tommy a go in the final rounds anyway, getting ready for next year.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:The coach is ultra conservative . He never dared to win a flag. Just tried not to lose one.
If that is the case he should be sacked. Do you think he should be sacked?
nope. hes still an effing good coach with an effing good win:loss record and an effing good finals record. just reckon he improve 1 or 2% thats all.

who are you george w bush? u are either with us against us! its not one extreme or the other. By making a slight suggestion for a tweak doesnt mean im against him.
That's far too much for his brain to comprehend.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:I certainly wasn't suggesting we play Tommy on Pavlich. I think Sam Fisher has performed that role with aplomb in the past and will do again tonight.
Again, I would back us to win with Tommy there this week, probably playing both up forward and down back. And again, if we aren't good enough to beat Freo, who apparently have 10 of their best 22 out (including by far their most important- Sandilands), are coming off a bad loss, have not beaten us in 4 years and are playing us on our home ground, then we aren't likely to be getting anywhere near a Collingwood or Geelong, so we would then be better off giving the likes of Tommy a go in the final rounds anyway, getting ready for next year.
I know what you're saying, and agree Fisher will probably get the job on Pav (although not on the starting team sheet), but Freo's season is almost on the line tonight, they were embarrassed at home by a very good team who went for the kill - last week's result will not have any bearing on tonights game, they will be angrier than a kicked beehive.

Simply, when you're playing against a top 8 team, in an attempt to sure up your position in the top 8, you do not experiement with unproven KP players.

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

general comment; it's not a question of whether Walsh is ready or not for AFL, clearly he is because he is named emergency. you don't name an emergency knowing a player isn't ready for the big stage. so we really shouldn't be reading comments that his skills aren't up to scratch, because they have to be in the event they need him to play. it can't be tokenistic, it has to be that he is not considered as good as those ahead of him (which is a fair enough argument). I personally would like to see him play, and probably more forward than back. and I don't think Spaceman is a million miles off with a go against Collingwood. full forward I reckon. we played Siposs there, and we played Simpkin's first game against them. it has to be the go.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Know we are winning but really dislike our side. No tall forwards... Nothing bar Roo and the occasional resting ruckman... Hate it.

If our 'developing' forwards are not getting a game now... I doubt they will.

And Walsh has played forward rarely at Sandi. Marking still an area of development for him.

bob__71
Club Player

barks4eva wrote:
bob__71 wrote:
barks4eva wrote:
WALSH

So you were being a troll....trolling with your cut and past joke for year after year.....what a flog.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:Know we are winning but really dislike our side. No tall forwards... Nothing bar Roo and the occasional resting ruckman... Hate it.

If our 'developing' forwards are not getting a game now... I doubt they will.

And Walsh has played forward rarely at Sandi. Marking still an area of development for him.
I'm the opposite, I loved how it was shaping up Spinner.

Gamble pushing up the ground being the link guy allowing Roo to play deep, Roo and Milne hovering inside 50 making people nervous, Kosi playing a good portion there, Armo applying heaps of pressure....Schneider, Goddard and others rotating through the midfield and pushing forward.

It was really functioning well.