Milne

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote:
saintbrat wrote:this may provide some of that info SENsaintsational
Which saintbrat?
http://afl.allthestats.com/index.php?op ... 6&pl=11113

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
spert wrote:
SENsaintsational wrote:I don't know if the stats will back me up here or not, but I think the Milne career can be broken into two distinct sections.

Thomas & Lyon.

Under Thomas, Milne was just so so. A will o wisp forward who seemed to do the miraculous when we were in front. Something that was levelled at Craig Bradley early in his career. Front runner. Didn't perform interstate or in big games.

Under Lyon, he has added grit, determination, tackling and a great team ethic. Again, like Bradley, he changed his game and for the last 5 years has been as much a defensive gun as an attacking one.

Lyon added the missing defensive ingredient to make him a champion.
If AFL footy was all about just home-and-away matches, the guy would be a great, but lets not ignore that he has not taken that form into crucial finals. In 2004 when we just needed that forward line spark against PA to get in the GF (and would have probably beaten Brisbane), he went missing and did so again in the last three GFs. I would rather he kicked a few goals during the season, then kicked 6 goals in a winning grand final. Still, he has lifted his game this season and is probably his best season IMO
FP is a very hard position to play in finals. Look at Leon Davis and please dont say he is a hack as he will probably be a 2 time AA. Not many true FP have had a big influence in finals since we have played footy similar to how it is played now.
Interesting point. Other than Chapman - who plays half in the middle - who is a small fwd to take a final by the scruff?
Nearly have to go back to an era when players actually played in positions.

milney044
Club Player

He kicked 4 goals the week before in the Semi against Sydney. He missed an easy goal early in the 1st against the Power and spent the majority of the rest of the game on the bench. Ironic because Wanganeen had done stuff all all game but was the difference in the end. Our matchwinner was on the pine in the dying minutes, a shame our coach didn't have the same faith.

He's come a long way since then has our Milney. I still love every minute and lap every minute 'cause I know I'll never have a favourite player that means to me what Milney has over the years.

Destiny. It's in our hands.

Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Thinline wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
spert wrote:
SENsaintsational wrote:I don't know if the stats will back me up here or not, but I think the Milne career can be broken into two distinct sections.

Thomas & Lyon.

Under Thomas, Milne was just so so. A will o wisp forward who seemed to do the miraculous when we were in front. Something that was levelled at Craig Bradley early in his career. Front runner. Didn't perform interstate or in big games.

Under Lyon, he has added grit, determination, tackling and a great team ethic. Again, like Bradley, he changed his game and for the last 5 years has been as much a defensive gun as an attacking one.

If AFL footy was all about just home-and-away matches, the guy would be a great, but lets not ignore that he has not taken that form into crucial finals. In 2004 when we just needed that forward line spark against PA to get in the GF (and would have probably beaten Brisbane), he went missing and did so again in the last three GFs. I would rather he kicked a few goals during the season, then kicked 6 goals in a winning grand final. Still, he has lifted his game this season and is probably his best season IMO
FP is a very hard position to play in finals. Look at Leon Davis and please dont say he is a hack as he will probably be a 2 time AA. Not many true FP have had a big influence in finals since we have played footy similar to how it is played now.
Interesting point. Other than Chapman - who plays half in the middle - who is a small fwd to take a final by the scruff?

Little forwards are by nature, opportunists.

In big games, against the best defenders, when the speed of the game is up a notch or two - opportunities are few.

They won't get that inch of space, or the fumbles by the opposition, or the loose defenders, etc. etc.

The question probably really should be in the whole 'GT is a madman for wanting to get rid of Milne/Milne is no good in big games and Grand Finals' is probably 'Should you even play a small forward in Grand Finals?'

As for Milne under Thomas, I really don't think there is much of a difference.
Both coaches have improved his defensive side, both coaches have taught him to play the percentages better, both coaches have tried in different positions, both coaches have put their foot up his arse!

His stats in 2005 aren't much different to now.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Thinline wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
spert wrote:

Thomas & Lyon.

In big games, against the best defenders, when the speed of the game is up a notch or two - opportunities are few.

They won't get that inch of space, or the fumbles by the opposition, or the loose defenders, etc. etc.

The question probably really should be in the whole 'GT is a madman for wanting to get rid of Milne/Milne is no good in big games and Grand Finals' is probably 'Should you even play a small forward in Grand Finals?'

Both coaches have improved his defensive side, both coaches have taught him to play the percentages better, both coaches have tried in different positions, both coaches have put their foot up his arse!

So it just comes down to one coach valuing his contribution whilst the other doesn't?

Sobraz
SS Life Member

I thought his final against Geeling last year was absolutely outstanding, one of the best on the ground... In fact, he has played several finals now of high quality, but has clearly never had a good GF... So his overall finals 'record' is percieved negatively...

Very unfair IMO...

Same goes with Riewoldt, who has been a massive finals performer, arguably our best ever, just has not done it on that last day... So he is seen by the public at large (through the media perhaps) as a general finals flop...

Unfair and inaccurate...

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Riewoldt has a hit rate of BOG in one out of three finals played and has been in the best in two out of three finals played

Extrordinary

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:

So it just comes down to one coach valuing his contribution whilst the other doesn't?
Yeah, I think so.

I tend to think that although was big on the 'team ahead of the individual' thing, I think he tended to expect guys to have big individual games all the time - or more to the point at times when the team needed it.

Whereas I think Lyon wants the team to win and doesn't care whether a guy like Milne kicks 1 or 10 - as long as he plays his role and does what is asked of him.

A small forward really, can do everything right but just not get the opportunities and therefore appear to do nothing.

I think Thomas expected guys on the field to stand up and pull something out to lift their team - as opposed to Lyon who has utter faith and confidence in his game plan to prevail.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Riewoldt has a hit rate of BOG in one out of three finals played and has been in the best in two out of three finals played

Extrordinary
Fair stat.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/blog.aspx?bl ... ments=true

faint praise ( published before Monday night)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Some fit into the "serial pest" category and have a nauseating effect on opponents, supporters and the general media as they weave their magic in the forward fifty zone.

Others are incredibly humble and selfless and are comfortable going about their work in a subtle manner deflecting attention and playing their part in the team structure. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

It will be very interesting to see if this current development evolves further and calls for even more small forwards or whether we will revert back to a more traditional model of marking, leading power forwards. There is nothing to suggest both cannot co-exist and as long as we have the Rioli's and Milne's to keep us on the edge of our seats - happy days.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
maverick
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:I thought his final against Geeling last year was absolutely outstanding, one of the best on the ground... In fact, he has played several finals now of high quality, but has clearly never had a good GF... So his overall finals 'record' is percieved negatively...

Very unfair IMO...

Same goes with Riewoldt, who has been a massive finals performer, arguably our best ever, just has not done it on that last day... So he is seen by the public at large (through the media perhaps) as a general finals flop...

Unfair and inaccurate...
I thought he was pretty good in GF1 last year, certainly had O'Brien's measure.