Demetriou Ruining the Game?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Demetriou Ruining the Game?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Expected the post. Very consistent. The funny thing is if they had that survey for the last 4 CEO's they would all get the same answers. The problem with that is the game continues to grow. In case you had realised, which clearly you should, people are always negative. People have even said footy is to expensive. One of the cheapest main sports in the world. What would people say about Soccer and basketball if they did a survey about prices for those sports.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

This is what irks me....

"The AFL is extremely grateful at all times to every supporter who makes the effort to attend a match and to every fan who makes the commitment to join a club as a member of their team," Mr Keane said.

The AFL is grateful?? Mr Keane, I've got news for you - people aren't supporting you. They're supporting their club and team despite you.
Last edited by Johnny Member on Tue 26 Jul 2011 9:00am, edited 2 times in total.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

The AFL's overarching desire to control the minutiae irks me most.

Watch an AFL appointed Auskick coordinator in action, and you'll know what I mean. Military-style power 'just because'. Unlike the money the organisation earns, the attitude trickles down.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:This is what irks me....

"The AFL is extremely grateful at all times to every supporter who makes the effort to attend a match and to every fan who makes the commitment to join a club as a member of their team," Mr Keane said.

The AFL is grateful?? Mr Keane, I've got news for you - people aren't doing you a favour. People aren't supporting you.

People love their clubs, and they follow aussie rules footy like a religion. They have for over 100 years.

People aren't supporting your business. People aren't 'patrons' or customers buying your product.
They're following their club and cheering for their team.

The average Joe doesn't give a stuff how much money you blokes have in the coffers and whether or not the game takes over the world.
The average Joe wants to watch the footy like they always have, and wants their team to win in a comp that gives them a chance.
Funny what you can read into a statement. The guy thanks the fans for supporting the AFL or if you like a an individual club and you take it they are supporting individuals within the AFL building. As I have said previously once a whinger ...................................

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

The AFL is grateful?? Mr Keane, I've got news for you - people aren't doing you a favour. People aren't supporting you.

People love their clubs, and they follow aussie rules footy like a religion. They have for over 100 years.

People aren't supporting your business. People aren't 'patrons' or customers buying your product.

The average Joe doesn't give a stuff how much money you blokes have in the coffers and whether or not the game takes over the world.
The average Joe wants to watch the footy like they always have, and wants their team to win in a comp that gives them a chance.
Funny what you can read into a statement. The guy thanks the fans for supporting the AFL or if you like a an individual club and you take it they are supporting individuals within the AFL building. As I have said previously once a whinger ...................................
Err, I didn't write the article or offer the expert opinion that the article is based on you know?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Err, I didn't write the article or offer the expert opinion that the article is based on you know?
I was talking about what you wrote.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Any chance of not attacking me personally, and instead keeping on topic?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Any chance of not attacking me personally, and instead keeping on topic?
I told you my opinion on the topic. People always whinge in surveys and if it was done with the last 4 CEO's it would be exactly the same. As for the cloke who commented on it I am pretty sure if they wanted the article to be positive they could have found someone who thinks the AFL are going fantastically. Depends on how the paper want it to go.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

See, that wasn't that hard was it?

SteveStevens66
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:

Plugger, your unnatural love for the AFL has made you an extremely selective reader.

The full quote re: Anderson is:

"But AFL spokesman Patrick Keane said the league was conscious of the needs of supporters as a key priority for decision-making on the future of the game.

The first paragraph admits that the fans are not involved in decision making. Anderson's second statement is a total non sequitur relative to the previous statement. What does a stock-standard thank you to the fans even have to do with the discussion at hand, namely, the increasing disillusionment of supporters, according to the study?

And you can find nothing wrong with Anderson's drivel? Of course not. It is the Gospel according to the AFL and you, like a cult member, are a true believer.

Carna Saints!!!
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:The AFL's overarching desire to control the minutiae irks me most.

Watch an AFL appointed Auskick coordinator in action, and you'll know what I mean. Military-style power 'just because'. Unlike the money the organisation earns, the attitude trickles down.
"AFL appointed Auskick coordinator"?

Surely you don't mean the ones that run the weekly local Auskick sessions do you? They are all volunteers who do it to give the kids a place to learn and practice football skills.

In fact, everyone involved in "running" an Auskick centre is there for the love of it and is NOT an employee of or appointed by the AFL.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Hate to say it, but as bad as the AFL are often, they are run better than a few organisations I've worked for, including the current one :(

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Hate to say it, but as bad as the AFL are often, they are run better than a few organisations I've worked for, including the current one :(
Better run in what sense?

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

"Victoria University football studies expert Dr Matthew Klugman ..."

"AFL Fans' Association spokesman Brian Clarke..."

Don't remember voting for either of the above. Self appointed experts or self appointed spokespeople are grist for the mill at the HUN and sometimes The Age, especially the online version, which is a mirror image of the HUN. They latch onto these people, who invariably hold a grudge against someone which accords to the HUN's views, and then provide a forum for these individual views for years so that they can fill their pages with rubbish, always designed to stir controversy.

Perhaps I could establish an organisation "People Against Stupid Stories in Newspapers" or PASSIN. I could be the CEO or President or both and be quoted endlessly, despite the fact the organisation has a membership of one - me.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:"Victoria University football studies expert Dr Matthew Klugman ..."

Don't remember voting for either of the above. Self appointed experts or self appointed spokespeople are grist for the mill at the HUN. They latch onto these people, who invariably hold a grudge against someone which accords to the HUN's views, and then provide a forum for these individual views for years so that they can fill their pages with rubbish.

Perhaps I could establish an organisation "People Against Stupid Stories in Newspapers" or PASSIN. I could be the CEO or President or both and be quoted endlessly, despite the fact the organisation has a membership of one - me.
Never trust a HUN poll, they are hardly ever scientific and are skewed to get a result.

Take the one on the PM in my electorate in the weekend HUN. It was Robo call and the first question was about the Carbon Tax, followed by questions on the PM and trust.

The MoR in these type of unscientific polls are in excess of 10%. But the HUn then has their headline - Voters deserting PM.

Wouldn't believe a word that rag reports, especially about football.

The front page today is appalling, and in line with the front pages on Milne and Fev.

A disgraceful rag that probably has thier corrupt journo's hacking phone mail as we speak.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Moorabbin Man
Club Player

The AFL, Demitriou & Co are an absolutely incompetent rabble and I think the article is insightful. The only reason I follow AFL is because of my life long passion for the Saints. Otherwise I couldn't tolerate their buffoonery, sheer greed and corruption.

In fact when the Saints win a premiership, although I will always get my Saints membership to support the club, I may gladly turn away from AFL, that's how intolerable I find the way the game is run.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:"Victoria University football studies expert Dr Matthew Klugman ..."

Don't remember voting for either of the above. Self appointed experts or self appointed spokespeople are grist for the mill at the HUN and sometimes The Age, especially the online version, which is a mirror image of the HUN. They latch onto these people, who invariably hold a grudge against someone which accords to the HUN's views, and then provide a forum for these individual views for years so that they can fill their pages with rubbish, always designed to stir controversy.

"But AFL spokesman Patrick Keane"

I didn't vote for this stooge either!

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

AFL

Football is a juggernaut.....and would be successful ifaris hilton was running it.....

People love the game.....they will continue to love the game for ever and a day...

Even regardless of how much these dicks f*** it up

Andrew Demetriou and Adrian Anderson are a sickening pair, who take a great product and play around with it as if they own it....and its their game, and they know whats best for it...

The game is a big business now....but they are greedy, and are always after more...and are willing to sell out at any opportunity...
Its alright to grow the game, but to disgruntle you core fan base in the process and turn you back on the wants of the 'already a fan' is a dangerous thing to do.

The afl is becoming a dictatorship in every aspect
Now tney even want to manage the players, aswell as control the every aspect of the game, including the way its played.

Anderson is the most dangerous one.....because he is out of touch with fans and has no clue.....
He would be the most hated person in the industry and by fans

SteveStevens66
Club Player

Matthew Klugman http://www.vu.edu.au/about-vu/our-peopl ... ew-klugman

No Perfectionist, you don't and shouldn't get to vote on academic appointments to universities.

AFL Fans' Association spokesman Brian Clarke...might be another matter

Carna Saints!!!
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

SteveStevens66 wrote:...No Perfectionist, you don't and shouldn't get to vote on academic appointments to universities....
No, although someone does. He does look young to be described as a "football studies expert". Two years teaching is a little light on for experience in my view. Had he been described as a Lecturer in the School of Sport and Exercise Science at VU, then that might have been more appropriate. Next time, he might think more carefully about how the HUN will spin whatever he says and whatever his credentials. But his CV does seem to advertise his "media performances" so he is hardly an unwilling participant. Does detract a little from his academic role in my view.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

It's possible that the AFL Fans Association is an "astro turf" organisation.

hAyES
Club Player

What a load of rubbish that article was. Memberships and attendances are at an all time high and the game has never been better, and all of a sudden people are going to stop following the AFL and start following what? Rugby? Soccer? Please.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:
Thinline wrote:The AFL's overarching desire to control the minutiae irks me most.

Surely you don't mean the ones that run the weekly local Auskick sessions do you? They are all volunteers who do it to give the kids a place to learn and practice football skills.

In fact, everyone involved in "running" an Auskick centre is there for the love of it and is NOT an employee of or appointed by the AFL.
I'm referring in particular to the little Hitler who ran the half time game at the Suns/Pies clash last weekend and more broadly to the power junkies who reckon an AFL insignia on their polo shirts is a licence to be a control freak f***wit.

Volunteers I respect. Volunteers with AFLish Machiavellian delusions of grandeur need a good kick up the arse.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
Life Long Saint wrote:

I'm referring in particular to the little Hitler who ran the half time game at the Suns/Pies clash last weekend and more broadly to the power junkies who reckon an AFL insignia on their polo shirts is a licence to be a control freak f***wit.

Volunteers I respect. Volunteers with AFLish Machiavellian delusions of grandeur need a good kick up the arse.
I've dealt with a similar type at a half time game at Etihad...But you have to understand that they are on a tight timeline and the kids and (sometimes) parents involved don't appreciate that fact. It is a challenge to get 20 kids organised and into change rooms, changed, assembled and ready to go onto the ground. Then the reverse after the game. Some of their "people skills" could do with an adjustment but it is tough task.

The week-to-week centre coordinators and coaches are not like that at all. I have been involved for four years now and have not met anyone in Auskick that is anything but genuine and friendly...And we all wear the AFL insignias.