Raph Clarke = Gun

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
dcstkfc wrote:Both will and should continue to play, just hope that it doesn't hurt the long-term development of Walsh, Simpkin etc.
Huh - Clarke is what? 25? If he played like he did on the weekend he could play for another 6 years. Kosi another 4.

You want to drop them so some youngsters "might" develop?

Strange, very strange.

If Simpkin and Walsh are good enough, they will force their way into the 22.
I definitely see where you are coming from. Clarke could go on and end up being a consistent player for five years. But he could also disappoint and end up being unable to string any consistency together. Given what he has shown over nearly 8 seasons that would seem the more likely. How many games do you give him to become a consistent footballer? These are games that could be given as opportunities to Walsh, Simpkin etc who have not yet been given ample chances. You cannot simply keep on playing guys on the back of highly intermittent form. Even Eddy played some very solid games, but overall he wasn't up to it. I feel Raph will end up in the same category. I hope not, and he deserves to hold his spot for the moment, but that is what I predict having watched him over 8 seasons.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
gringo
Saintsational Legend

The irony is that Ross Lyon really opened the door to Raphs career. By sacking the old guard and a few retirements a spot opened for 09 and Raph started to get games in a row. While Brett Voss, Goose, X Clarke, Gherig etc. were in the team he was only ever a fill in for injured players. The people that say Ross is conservative with the team and doesn't play young ones should remember the clean out he did. saying that Raph has had 8 season's to prove himself isn't accurate because until 09 he had played about 20 games. He has been very unlucky with his injuries early which never helps.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Raph has shown he is keen to keep a senior berth with good performances at Sandy, and that's probably the best indicator to RL as to who has the work ethic he requires.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

SEE

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

when he and Gilbert are good they are good......but their bad is real bad. :oops:
Last edited by The Fireman on Sat 23 Jul 2011 1:08am, edited 1 time in total.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

So he had a bad game, it happens.

He will be in the side next week.

And he will get a clean slate from me, like any other player would.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

If Raph could just get some awareness....some feel he does have some pressure bearing down on him...he could really take his level to Gwilt quickly...............just not sure you can learn this stuff?

He actually doesnt make that many mistakes.................they just really are glaring.....

“Yeah….nah””
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Raph didnt make anywhere near as many mistakes tonight as Gilbert for one. And there were a few others too.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:Raph didnt make anywhere near as many mistakes tonight as Gilbert for one. And there were a few others too.
a novel approach to assessing our players performances. :?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Gwilt is very evasive but doesn't have the same ability to play on as quick and break the lines. Raph's kicking was great, the run down is because he plays risky footy that is a game breaker when it comes off, ugly when it goes wrong. Gwilt is a beautiful spot up kick and stable under pressure. Different players but both have good qualities, Raph makes life interesting and is a little less conservative than Gwilt.

Middo
Club Player

gringo wrote:Gwilt is very evasive but doesn't have the same ability to play on as quick and break the lines. Raph's kicking was great, the run down is because he plays risky footy that is a game breaker when it comes off, ugly when it goes wrong. Gwilt is a beautiful spot up kick and stable under pressure. Different players but both have good qualities, Raph makes life interesting and is a little less conservative than Gwilt.
Raphs kicking was very ordinary at best , on the full, along the ground and on the bounce to leading players , not sure what you were watching ...? He need to be hitting targets every week not once every 3/4 weeks. :!:

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Not a great one from Raph. I can't see him ever being more than a fringe player.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

dcstkfc wrote:Not a great one from Raph. I can't see him ever being more than a fringe player.
I dont think he was bad by any stretch - sure made errors but also added some much needed run at times............

just that awareness...........hhmm.

“Yeah….nah””
SteveStevens66
Club Player

He made some skill errors and got run down a few times but the good far outweighed the bad tonight. He was very effective defensively--was frequently the player cutting across the pack to mark the ball--and was quick on the rebound. His skill and judgement errors were no different to Gilberts but Raph probably provided more run.

I was watching it on tv so I might have missed something, but were our fans giving him the bronx cheers during the third quarter? If so, thats truly appalling.

Carna Saints!!!
SteveStevens66
Club Player

He made some skill errors and got run down a few times but the good far outweighed the bad tonight. He was very effective defensively--was frequently the player cutting across the pack to mark the ball--and was quick on the rebound. His skill and judgement errors were no different to Gilberts but Raph probably provided more run.

I was watching it on tv so I might have missed something, but were our fans giving him the bronx cheers during the third quarter? If so, thats truly appalling.

Carna Saints!!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I still always fail to see what people want in Raph. He ia an average footballer, nothing more or less. He will never be more than that. He aint a gun and never will be. Got the ball a fair bit today but makes a lot of errors. Isnt on his own in that department. Sat in my normal spot in Bay 36 last night an the bronx cheers werent needed when he hit a target.
Last edited by plugger66 on Sat 23 Jul 2011 3:16am, edited 1 time in total.

SteveStevens66
Club Player

Carna Saints!!!
The_Merchant
Club Player

I thought he was pretty good tonight, a couple of errors early but got better as the game went.

He has done far more for the football club than the absolute morons giving him Bronx cheers. I hope you are all proud of yourselves. And here's a hint for you, when you have to give a bloke Bronx cheers ten times in ten minutes for hitting targets, perhaps you have been mistaken and he is actually going pretty well.

If at first you don't succeed, sky diving is not for you.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

peak time for an afl player is 24-29.
im pro raph clarke. i just hope other clarke fans give some slack to guys like stanley.

Sam23
SS Life Member

Was Raph that bad though?

People are hanging, almost hoping that he stuffs it up when he gets it, so every mistake he makes gets amplified.

Only really bad error I thought he made was when he got ran down in defence which was just lack of awareness.

Other than that, a few bad kicks - But a lot of our team sprays a few kicks.

For example, this season, Gwilt, kicked a LOT of Out On The Fulls and didn't hear any rubbishing.

I think Raph was quite good again last night.

Goddard.
fingers
Saintsational Legend

The bronx cheers that Raph got last night when he got the ball were a fkn disgrace.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

fingers wrote:The bronx cheers that Raph got last night when he got the ball were a fkn disgrace.
Yep, and these people call themselves supporters.

Badlands
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:
fingers wrote:The bronx cheers that Raph got last night when he got the ball were a fkn disgrace.

Came through loud and clear on the telly too. Disgusting.

"I'm in the middle of a long conversation with my audience. It'll be a lifelong journey for both of us by the time we're done." - Bruce Springsteen.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Badlands wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

Came through loud and clear on the telly too. Disgusting.
Worst part it was in the Moorabbin wing area. May have been elsewhere but it just isnt good enough. Morons.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Raph did a couple of ordinary things last night, but more good than bad and overall a good game I thought.