The Age : Re-sign Lyon now

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Joffa 5
Club Player

Richter wrote: 2010 - outside chance, probably will make finals
We'll make the granny and draw... Bookmark it!

bozza1980
Club Player

To be fair this should not be that big a suprise

Walls is a tosser.

This is a man who declared that we lost the 2005 Prelim Final because Trent Knobel was no longer a Saint, carefully forgetting that he struggled to get a game at the Tigers that year.

He is always quick with a pot shot at the Saints and for some reason it seems to be prevelent in Carlton people of his vintage, no performance by the Saints is too good for a public broadside if asked.

This low view of the saints is tempered by his involvement in bringing Ross Lyon to the club, so rightly or wrongly there is yet to be a bad word leave Wallsy's lips about Ross Lyon, despite the fact that a good word is yet to pass his lips re the club he coaches.

To be fair, I, like Zac Dawson, are far from dissapointed that from next year we will never have to listen to this poor excuse of an "expert" commentator commentating our games.

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friends.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bozza1980 wrote:To be fair this should not be that big a suprise

Walls is a tosser.

This is a man who declared that we lost the 2005 Prelim Final because Trent Knobel was no longer a Saint, carefully forgetting that he struggled to get a game at the Tigers that year.

He is always quick with a pot shot at the Saints and for some reason it seems to be prevelent in Carlton people of his vintage, no performance by the Saints is too good for a public broadside if asked.

This low view of the saints is tempered by his involvement in bringing Ross Lyon to the club, so rightly or wrongly there is yet to be a bad word leave Wallsy's lips about Ross Lyon, despite the fact that a good word is yet to pass his lips re the club he coaches.

To be fair, I, like Zac Dawson, are far from dissapointed that from next year we will never have to listen to this poor excuse of an "expert" commentator commentating our games.
No wonder people dont like certain writers. What has Walls got to do with this? We even blame people when they have nothing to do with it.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

I see your point Johnny Member.

I am not sure exactly how things work internally at the Saints, but I was led to believe that Mathew Drain had a lot of say in who came to the Club. As you intimate, Lyon surely would have had the final say !

They're collectively all to blame then :!:

My feeling is that the recruiting structure, people and limited resourses have all contributed to the less than optimum recruiting success.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Junction Oval wrote:I see your point Johnny Member.

I am not sure exactly how things work internally at the Saints, but I was led to believe that Mathew Drain had a lot of say in who came to the Club. As you intimate, Lyon surely would have had the final say !

My feeling is that the recruiting structure, people and limited resourses have all contributed to the less than optimum recruiting success.
I have no inside word or anything, but I don't think the Drain/Lyon thing worked.

Did Lyon really want Tom Walsh? I mean, bad enough to effectively give up pick 16 for him?

Did he really want Ben Cousins? I mean, he went over there to give him a jumper.

Did he really want Lovett?

My gut feeling is that perhaps the 'List Manager' thing didn't work. I don't think they were on the same page.

So maybe you are right. Maybe other people were recruiting players for the coach - which obviously, is never really going to work!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:

I have no inside word or anything, but I don't think the Drain/Lyon thing worked.

Did Lyon really want Tom Walsh? I mean, bad enough to effectively give up pick 16 for him?

Did he really want Ben Cousins? I mean, he went over there to give him a jumper.

My gut feeling is that perhaps the 'List Manager' thing didn't work. I don't think they were on the same page.

So maybe you are right. Maybe other people were recruiting players for the coach - which obviously, is never really going to work!
Walsh was a rookie. fail to see how we gave pick 16 for him. As for the others who would know. Only RL and a few others.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:

Walsh was a rookie. fail to see how we gave pick 16 for him. As for the others who would know. Only RL and a few others.
They were Drain's words, when he was asked about giving up pick 16 for Lovett.

He effectively said 'we got Walsh who is as good as a top 10 pick so we're happy to give up no. 16 for Lovett'.

It was strange, I must admit. And the fact that Walsh hasn't played a game in nearly 2 years does beg the question as to whether Lyon agreed with him!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:

He effectively said 'we got Walsh who is as good as a top 10 pick so we're happy to give up no. 16 for Lovett'.

It was strange, I must admit. And the fact that Walsh hasn't played a game in nearly 2 years does beg the question as to whether Lyon agreed with him!
He can say that but we didnt use pick 16 for him. We used it for Lovett.

Austinnn
Club Player

Johnny Member wrote:The thing that bothers me with the way everyone is portraying the club, is that it almost tries to paint the club as the villian, and poor old Ross Lyon as a god amongst men working in vain whilst the club holds him back.

It actually really s***s me.

If the list is a dog's breakfast, as the article states - then who's to blame? How can they use a quote like this...

''The list is a dog's breakfast. There is no succession planning, the age profile is all over the place. The list has holes all over it. There is no ruck succession plan.".... the follow it up with this....

"St Kilda knows he can coach a team in contention; now it needs to decide if he is a coach for development. Having been a long-term VFL and senior assistant coach, there is no reason to believe he is not."

Lyon is a Saint. Sorry everyone out there, but he is. Sorry Robert Walls, but your buddy is one of us. He's been the boss for nearly 5 years.
He's been through thick and thin with the club. He's built a list. He's maintained a list. He's created a style of play that the players have embraced.

What the world sees each weekend from us, is Ross Lyon's doing.

It really irks me when I read stuff like this, and stuff like 'Poor Ross Lyon, if I was him I'd walk out on that rabble of a club'.

When players misbehave, it's Ross Lyon's players that are misbehaving. When the team plays poorly, it's his team that is aplying poorly. When the list is a dog's breakfast after him being at the helm for 5 years - then it's Ross Lyon's list that is a dog's breakfast!

I hate how they portray anything good that happens to us - as Ross Lyon's doing. And anything bad that happens at the club is because we're such a terrible club and poor Ross Lyon is so hard done by to have such bad things happen to him!

It f***** s***s me.
+1

Don't forget that PaddlePop Walls was the fella that actually gave Lyon the job as a key member of the committee that was hired to find Grant Thomas' successor.

It's just more 'The Saints will never be anything because of their culture', as mindless and fear-driven as the Collywobbles or any other stupid myth. Every time we fail, we allow that myth to live, we can't stage a mock funeral with a clown like Lou Richards putting our loser culture in a little coffin, what club would be THAT pathetic? We just have to keep winning.

And we will. The article did concede that some of the 20 names mentioned might actually prove them wrong. It hurts, but if those 20 names read this and push themselves a bit harder, starting with Gears tonight, then no problem. On the other hand, when the pressure is on individuals, sometimes they make selfish decisions instead of ones that benefit the team, and THAT's a problem.

More importantly:
Creating a culture of fear and selfishness is probably what those recruiters wanted to do, so they can pick up a few easy trades at season's end to boost their CV.

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Austinnn wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:The thing that bothers me with the way everyone is portraying the club, is that it almost tries to paint the club as the villian, and poor old Ross Lyon as a god amongst men working in vain whilst the club holds him back.

If the list is a dog's breakfast, as the article states - then who's to blame? How can they use a quote like this...

''The list is a dog's breakfast. There is no succession planning, the age profile is all over the place. The list has holes all over it. There is no ruck succession plan.".... the follow it up with this....

"St Kilda knows he can coach a team in contention; now it needs to decide if he is a coach for development. Having been a long-term VFL and senior assistant coach, there is no reason to believe he is not."

Lyon is a Saint. Sorry everyone out there, but he is. Sorry Robert Walls, but your buddy is one of us. He's been the boss for nearly 5 years.
He's been through thick and thin with the club. He's built a list. He's maintained a list. He's created a style of play that the players have embraced.

It really irks me when I read stuff like this, and stuff like 'Poor Ross Lyon, if I was him I'd walk out on that rabble of a club'.

When players misbehave, it's Ross Lyon's players that are misbehaving. When the team plays poorly, it's his team that is aplying poorly. When the list is a dog's breakfast after him being at the helm for 5 years - then it's Ross Lyon's list that is a dog's breakfast!

I hate how they portray anything good that happens to us - as Ross Lyon's doing. And anything bad that happens at the club is because we're such a terrible club and poor Ross Lyon is so hard done by to have such bad things happen to him!

It f***** s***s me.
+1

Don't forget that PaddlePop Walls was the fella that actually gave Lyon the job as a key member of the committee that was hired to find Grant Thomas' successor.

It's just more 'The Saints will never be anything because of their culture', as mindless and fear-driven as the Collywobbles or any other stupid myth. Every time we fail, we allow that myth to live, we can't stage a mock funeral with a clown like Lou Richards putting our loser culture in a little coffin, what club would be THAT pathetic? We just have to keep winning.

And we will. The article did concede that some of the 20 names mentioned might actually prove them wrong. It hurts, but if those 20 names read this and push themselves a bit harder, starting with Gears tonight, then no problem. On the other hand, when the pressure is on individuals, sometimes they make selfish decisions instead of ones that benefit the team, and THAT's a problem.

More importantly:
Creating a culture of fear and selfishness is probably what those recruiters wanted to do, so they can pick up a few easy trades at season's end to boost their CV.
Again I ask what has Walls to do with this?

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:

He can say that but we didnt use pick 16 for him. We used it for Lovett.
Regardless of whether what he said or thought was correct - the point of my post was that I have an opinion that Lyon didn't agree with him on this, and other things.

Austinnn
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Austinnn wrote:

It f***** s***s me.
+1

More importantly:
Again I ask what has Walls to do with this?
Fair call, Plugger, got distracted by thinking of that old 'Best Thing Lyon Could Do Would Be Leave That Rabble' article Walls scribbled last year, but you're right, he had nothing to do with this.

The key is these opposition recruiters shaking the list down for a few easy gets.

They are currently 'debating' Lyon's contract on SEN.

More of the 'St Kilda loser culture' rubbish, which shat me to tears, but that's what you get.

Now they're talking about the boring style of game. One guy said 'As a caller, I don't enjoy calling Saints games as much as other games'. Can we get that c**k a transfer to a game with more goals, like a VFL game or something?

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
gringo
Saintsational Legend

i have said it before, all clubs stuff up by trying to get too many of one type to fill a hole. Geelong have been stacking tall marking forwards, Dons Rucks, us mid sized forwards and now quick mids, Pies guys with serious ethical problems- it's hardly ground breaking. Other recruiters don't rate half our list because they don't watch them as role players, just on individual stats. CJ showed tonight that let off the leash he is an able midfielder.