Armitage

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I think it could even be a way of preserving fitness, I wouldn't be surprised to see Dave back as a clearance mid swapping forward duties with Steven later in the season. I like Dave closer to goal as he is a natural goal kicker and a brilliant tackler, he is like a Mini on steroids. We look more balanced with one of the two forward and one in the middle, just have to balance it right, Steven had a bit of a quiet game last weekend and if he gets more of a tag he may be sent forward and Armo in the middle.

DWOODROW
Club Player

[quote="gringo"]I think it could even be a way of preserving fitness, I wouldn't be surprised to see Dave back as a clearance mid swapping forward duties with Steven later in the season. I like Dave closer to goal as he is a natural goal kicker and a brilliant tackler, he is like a Mini on steroids. We look more balanced with one of the two forward and one in the middle, just have to balance it right, Steven had a bit of a quiet game last weekend and if he gets more of a tag he may be sent forward and Armo in the middle.[/quote]

Heres hoping.

They both get a run together that is in the midfield. :)

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

I think mini and armo have a place in the side.

I hope its a plan to build hunger in the players as we approach the business end.

further, I look at the way the pies have let good players run in the magoos. Now people look at their depth and frankly there are a fair few with average contributions.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
PJ
SS Life Member

I would say there is almost no chance of Armo being dropped this year he is a pivotal player to us staying in touch. The energy he brings is exactly what we've been lacking - watch the tackling and aggression at the man in any game he plays in.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:I would say there is almost no chance of Armo being dropped this year he is a pivotal player to us staying in touch. The energy he brings is exactly what we've been lacking - watch the tackling and aggression at the man in any game he plays in.
Yes!

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Leo.J
SS Life Member

Even in the games he's been a sub in Armo has been averaging 3.6 tackles a game.

His overall average is 4.8.

It must be frustrating for Armo to be a sub.

However, as far as the team is concerned having him come on and apply that sort of pressure in the tail end of the game is pretty important.

The other side of it is that he can play midfield if one of our mids go down also.

It is now an important role the sub...

It's an important factor in soccer, and it will be looked at in the same vein soon in the AFL.

People will get their head around it soon.

Zac Attack
Club Player

Leo.J wrote:Even in the games he's been a sub in Armo has been averaging 3.6 tackles a game.

However, as far as the team is concerned having him come on and apply that sort of pressure in the tail end of the game is pretty important.

The other side of it is that he can play midfield if one of our mids go down also.

It's an important factor in soccer, and it will be looked at in the same vein soon in the AFL.

Great effort for someone to get tackles in such a short time on the field though. The statistic is not too far behind his yearly average too which says something. He is bloody enthusiastic.

Leo.J
SS Life Member

Zac Attack wrote:
Leo.J wrote:Even in the games he's been a sub in Armo has been averaging 3.6 tackles a game.

Great effort for someone to get tackles in such a short time on the field though. The statistic is not too far behind his yearly average too which says something. He is bloody enthusiastic.
Nice try.

Zac Attack
Club Player

Leo.J wrote:
Zac Attack wrote:

Nice try.
I do not quite understand.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Just my opinion but I haven't read this so thought I'd add to the discussion...so.....

Has Dave actually played a full season yet? I'm talking completely uninterupted by injury, be it in the ones or twos.... I really like Armo, have since his first game, but we have to look at big picture as the missed weeks last year really hurt him/us (seemed like whenever he played he'd get injured last year and couldn't really string it together)....

He had a few down weeks, so instead of dropping him, he was sub for a couple of weeks. The way he plays, maybe Ross thinks he is too good to drop - can be a great impact player which he has been - and he is managing his body so he can get him through the season and get him to play finals (if we do).

Don't want another Sammy on our hands with a player who is off the park more often than on it.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Over his career he has been in and out of the team and is often injured. This year he's finally fit and has the opportunity due to Hayes' injury. He plays 2-3 decent games. Has a lean patch and is now the sub. The next step will be a stint in the reserves.

Armo doesn't have the application or just doesn't have what it takes to become a consistent contributor at AFL level. Or Ross doesn't believe that he has it. Plain and simple. I would seriously be looking at trading him come years end if he's got any currency that is. He's 23 or 24 and if he doesn't have it now he never will. Time to invest in other players.

To the top
SS Life Member

Armitage has just turned 23, is 183cm and 84kg.

He has played 43 games - and kicked 25 goals.

He is an inside player who puts his body on the line under the packs, winning the ball and laying crunching tackles.

Not the quickest on the spread and carry but has improved this aspect of his game - and his defensive chase has improved to adequate also.

Still needs physical maturity to carry out the role he takes on - the much vaunted Ball, who endeavoured to survive on the same skill set except the goal scoring ability and the crunching tackles, only managed 1 decent game in 3 because of the pummelling his body took.

And, in his last season with St Kilda, he was spent absolutely by Round 15 - and dropped only to return for the GF because it was wet.

On his re-called PF form he was out the next week, as he acknowledged himself - only to be ultimately saved by the weather.

So if the pressure is being taken off Armitage at this stage of the season by playing him more forward (where his tackling and contest is forcing balls free and allowing him to dish off) including as a sub, then that appears the responsible course to me.

We do not want him battered to a pulp leading into the finals.

And he knows no other way than to give a very, very vigorous physical contest.

A required player.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:Over his career he has been in and out of the team and is often injured. This year he's finally fit and has the opportunity due to Hayes' injury. He plays 2-3 decent games. Has a lean patch and is now the sub. The next step will be a stint in the reserves.

Armo doesn't have the application or just doesn't have what it takes to become a consistent contributor at AFL level. Or Ross doesn't believe that he has it. Plain and simple. I would seriously be looking at trading him come years end if he's got any currency that is. He's 23 or 24 and if he doesn't have it now he never will. Time to invest in other players.
He's only just turned 23.

It now takes that long to develop the tank to sustain the effort required to be what's needed.

You underestimate him.

Necessary, quality player. IMO

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Wasn't he in the same draft as Gibbs, Selwood, Reid and Riewoldt to name a few? I'm not comparing his performances to theirs, just saying if he is going to amount to something it should have happened by now.

The fact is he is not a regular contributor and does not have a specific role in the team yet. With Lenny out he has the opportunity to become a regular mid. And at the moment he can't even get a full game let alone a gig in the midfield.

Maybe Ross hasn't given him the opportunity he deserves. That's the only possible argument imo.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:Wasn't he in the same draft as Gibbs, Selwood, Reid and Riewoldt to name a few? I'm not comparing his performances to theirs, just saying if he is going to amount to something it should have happened by now.
Not totally sure about that. It can take a long time to build up a motor. Montagna only really took off in his sixth year (2007).

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Not entirely true about joey...

2006 was his breakout year...playing every game....avg 20 poss and a high of 34..

Actually it was probably the tailend of 05 playing every game from R16 to the PreLim

He recieved his rising star nomination in 2003 and recieved a brownlow vote the followin week and averagEd a goal a games in his twelve outings.

He showed a fair bit of promise early, a broken ankle limited him also...

David played 2009 injury free

And 2007/8 he only had minor injuries, 2010 he missed 10 weeks with two separate knees...

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:Wasn't he in the same draft as Gibbs, Selwood, Reid and Riewoldt to name a few? I'm not comparing his performances to theirs, just saying if he is going to amount to something it should have happened by now.

The fact is he is not a regular contributor and does not have a specific role in the team yet. With Lenny out he has the opportunity to become a regular mid. And at the moment he can't even get a full game let alone a gig in the midfield.

Maybe Ross hasn't given him the opportunity he deserves. That's the only possible argument imo.
Selwood's an out and out freak and incomparable to anyone.

But sorry, I forgot how Jack Riewoldt plays four qrs week in week out in the centre and the the other two are such aerobic heavyweights...

Oh, and also how everyone develops according to the same timeline.

Stupid of me.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Why you mad bro?

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Not entirely true about joey...

2006 was his breakout year...playing every game....avg 20 poss and a high of 34..

Actually it was probably the tailend of 05 playing every game from R16 to the PreLim

He recieved his rising star nomination in 2003 and recieved a brownlow vote the followin week and averagEd a goal a games in his twelve outings.

He showed a fair bit of promise early, a broken ankle limited him also...

David played 2009 injury free

And 2007/8 he only had minor injuries, 2010 he missed 10 weeks with two separate knees...
Yeah fair enough.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:Why you mad bro?
Because you seem determined to dump on a bloke who doesn't deserve it and because it's been a long day and I'm a bit buggered... 8-)

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

You got me wrong. I want nothing more than for Armo to be the midfielder we need him to be and to step up in Lenny's absence. I think my assessment of him was fair. I guess I've got high(er) expectations for him. Time for him to step up.

The_Carpet_Snake
Club Player

Old Mate wrote:Why you mad bro?
WORST COMEBACK EVER

Love you Lenny