Who should get the first crack as Gwilt's replacement?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Who should replace Gwilt?

Poll ended at Thu 21 Jul 2011 4:13pm

Tommy Walsh
33%
Tom Simpkin
12%
Jason Blake
10%
Steven Baker
1%
Jarryn Geary
2%
Tom Lynch
41%
Will Johnson
No votes

Total votes: 82

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Who should get the first crack as Gwilt's replacement?

Vote here!

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Joffa 5
Club Player

I voted Lynch. To take Jimmy's role we need someone who can set up plays coming out of the backline. I haven't seen TW play but I'm assuming he is still learning the intricacies of our game whereas Lynch has a lifetime of experience to utilise

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I think Lynch would be that rebound kick with precision that Jimmy has perfected but may fall down a little under pressure due to his lack of experience. Geary would give some attacking presence and make the forwards scared to be first at the ball though. Blake is a fav but probably lacks disposal accuracy and run that jimmy gives. Johnson could be reintroduced back for the run. The rest for mine are all too similar to existing backs and would need to be played else where to let us use NDS off the backline like he was earlier this season.

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

It's not that easy. We really don't know how Walsh will measure up. Lynch may be better up forward. Blake may be required as a backup ruckman. Geary should give good rum, and Baker can still close down a tough opponent.

Goddard & Dempster may need to spend more time in the back half. I'd like to see Geary on a wing with Peake & Ray. And I'd like to see Sipos near the goals, and Lynch on a HFF

shmic_s
Club Player

I dont think that the one player can cover all that Gwilt offers. Which is why it's such a great loss losing him.

I think defensively, someone like Blake or Simpkin needs to come in to take a tall forward.

That leaves his field kicking the missing ingredient. Gilbert is starting to find some good form, and hopefully Raph's form continues an upward trend, which might go some way to covering his loss.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Tom Lynch has played 4 games, none of them on the backline. I have seen little sign of a defensive capability in his game so far. It might develop in time. However, he has absolutely so spring for the ball (he can't jump), so I would be very worried about his spoiling ability. Picking a novice to slot into the backline at this stage would be sure folly, unless no other player was available. When James Gwilt started, he began as a forward and took three years to earn a spot down back, after 30 or so games. That's how long it takes.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:Tom Lynch has played 4 games, none of them on the backline. I have seen little sign of a defensive capability in his game so far. It might develop in time. However, he has absolutely so spring for the ball (he can't jump), so I would be very worried about his spoiling ability. Picking a novice to slot into the backline at this stage would be sure folly, unless no other player was available. When James Gwilt started, he began as a forward and took three years to earn a spot down back, after 30 or so games. That's how long it takes.
I know it isnt AFL but Lynch has mainly played back this year at Sandy and has done well. Far different in the AFL but it seems it should be him or Simpkin unless of course we play a side ith only one tall and then Bakes could get a job or Geary.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Lynch is getting time down back at Sandy and was played down back a bit in the NAB, he is actually a pretty clean kick but the lack of experience could leave us vulnerable. I think NDS will be the guy who is required back for the clearing kick/ kick ins which might get Lynch or Geary a position somewhere in the team as they are both fairly capable utilities.

goddardisgod
Club Player

I voted Simpkin, because Gwilt's role is to take the second forward and provide the rebound. I don't think that Walsh has enough rebound to play the role, and the opposite applies for Lynch. Blake is a known quantity so should be saved. Johnson is a forward now, while a small for a "tall" I'd never a good idea, for both Gears and Bakes.

Simpkin provides a comfortable mix of everything IMO.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Time to give Tommy "the gun" Walsh a go.

No, not because he's Irish or we have some sort of obligation to give a person from abroad a shot, but because he has displayed the required skils in getting a shot at the top level.

Against Adelaide at home presents a fine opportunity for his debut, for won't be a baptism in fire.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Tommy is the man for the job. Tommy Lynch that is, not Tommy Simpkin and definitely not Tommy Walsh this week. Tommy Walsh can have a crack next week against the kids.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

goddardisgod wrote:I voted Simpkin, because Gwilt's role is to take the second forward and provide the rebound. I don't think that Walsh has enough rebound to play the role
From what I've seen, Walsh provides much more rebound than Simpkin. Walsh loves to go on a run and launch a 55m kick out of defence, whereas Simpkin is more of a Blake-esque user of the footy.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:
goddardisgod wrote:I voted Simpkin, because Gwilt's role is to take the second forward and provide the rebound. I don't think that Walsh has enough rebound to play the role
From what I've seen, Walsh provides much more rebound than Simpkin. Walsh loves to go on a run and launch a 55m kick out of defence, whereas Simpkin is more of a Blake-esque user of the footy.
Agreed. Simpkin is very dour. Pretty dependable too, but dour nonetheless.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
matrix
Saintsational Legend

so do we have someone thats great on the preferred and alright on the non preferred??

most are not so good on the non
some dont have a non!

whats lynch like on the non??

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Looks like the candidates are Simpkin, Walsh, and Blake.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx

Harvey said there were several contenders to fill the hole left by Gwilt.

"It's early in the week and it’s a big loss. It's hard to replace Jimmy, who has been in good form for us for a long time. There are a few guys. Tom Simpkin has played a few games, Tommy Walsh has been in pretty good form as a backman and Jason Blake is back from his knee injury as well," he said.

"They are sticking their hands up for selection and it’s a good sign that there's a bit of depth around the team, which is a positive thing."

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Lynch..

gotta play the 'kids'....

The list changes for 2025 have begun, always an interesting time for an avid supporter.