Where would this leave Gardiner?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Where would this leave Gardiner?

Taking Big Ben's form and Kosi's good form over his last two games, I can't see a spot opening up for Gardiner for 2011.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

I thought our rucks were flogged last night.

Gardiner, in form is surely in the best 22.

The form part is the issue though.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
i_luv_nick_riewoldt
SS Life Member

Was Gardy injured last week when he returned for sandy? Stanley was sore too after the game!

Go saints in '09!
PJ
SS Life Member

I'd have Gardy working his but off. We need more than 1 option. There's still what 7 weeks before the finals - anything could happen.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Gardiner needs to be trying to get his body right in case McEvoy is unavailable during/before the finals.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

MG should play one more game, if possible to say goodbye of course baring injury. If he plays either Ben or Kosi cant unless someone can find a spot I cant see at the moment.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Unfortunately I think we've seen the last of Michael Gardiner. His body doesn't seem to be up to it anymore.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:MG should play one more game, if possible to say goodbye of course baring injury. If he plays either Ben or Kosi cant unless someone can find a spot I cant see at the moment.
Considering Ben's workload over the year and the fact he is still pretty young, it wouldn't hurt to rest him to give Gardi a sendoff, we do have to keep winning though so its a risk to rest a kid for finals when we may not even get there....

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:MG should play one more game, if possible to say goodbye of course baring injury. If he plays either Ben or Kosi cant unless someone can find a spot I cant see at the moment.
Considering Ben's workload over the year and the fact he is still pretty young, it wouldn't hurt to rest him to give Gardi a sendoff, we do have to keep winning though so its a risk to rest a kid for finals when we may not even get there....

Also, we got smashed in the ruck last night - Ben battled hard and Kozi did some nice things here and there, but Niknat and Cox smashed us.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

After all MG has played 43 games with us.....

He gets a gig if he earns one and a spot opens up...

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

A fit Gardy is still good enough to be in the 22. In fact he is very important.
For those who get to see Sandy play, where would Stanley be at the moment, is he anywhere near getting a game or is he just to far off the mark?

I love this club
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:I thought our rucks were flogged last night.
Clearly we were flogged in hit outs...But we only lost the clearances by a couple.

The Eagles ruck combination are the best in the comp and would beat all-comers.

It's like going up against Sandilands...You know that you will be flogged in the ruck but the midfielders know that and plan accordingly.

I thought that Kosi and McEvoy did enough around the ground to keep the WCE duo honest.

Gardi would help in the hit-out stakes but is lacking any match fitness at a time in the season when it's needed the most.

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

Life Long Saint wrote:
Clearly we were flogged in hit outs...But we only lost the clearances by a couple.

It's like going up against Sandilands...You know that you will be flogged in the ruck but the midfielders know that and plan accordingly.

I thought that Kosi and McEvoy did enough around the ground to keep the WCE duo honest.

Gardi would help in the hit-out stakes but is lacking any match fitness at a time in the season when it's needed the most.
I thought we farted at thunder quite acceptably.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:

After watching the replay, I would say this is about right. Kosi played well around the ground and Mac had some telling tapouts in the finals qtr when the result was up for grabs, at least one directly resulted in a goal.

I was very happy that kosi was brought in to help out Mac, Cox and Natanui are formidable and shattered us especially in the 3rd qtr. Seemed to even up when fatigue set in in the last.

Gave our mids enough ball for us to win and that was the object. Still, I think a fit Gardiner is in our best 22, but how fit can a 32 y.o ruckman with chronic injuries be at this time of the season.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

I reckon the game showed that ruckmen are only part of a midfield team and the broader clearance effort - they're not the be all and end all. McEvoy and Kozi played in front, muscled up, made a contest, and otherwise left it to the mids to play smart.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
matrix
Saintsational Legend

what was it?
53 hitouts and 35 possies between nic nat and cox?

sure i saw something like that somewhere

if you know your ruckman is going to get bathed, start reading it off the opp ruckman. 8-)

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

It boils down to whether MG can stay on the track and play a couple of Sandy games. Then the decision is whether he has the form to make it into the side.

Playing fit, he is a required player IMO and the side would need to be re-organised accordingly.

Our worst case scenario is if McEvoy gets injured and we have no back-up other than Kosi :!: :!:

repta
Club Player

Fit Gardiner is in best 22. We need him if the Saints are to go anywhere in September. Kosi has only played well in isolated quarters. Big Mac did well in the ruck on the weekend. Who cares if you dont get the tap but you win the clearance.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Think that's it for Gards.

Reliability and confidence is the key. The risk of breaking down mid game is very significant and doubt even if fit he wouldn't played in front of McEvoy and Koschitzke.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Well as Sandy get to play this week we'll learn a lot more.

Gardi played half a game last time and he's now had another week off to get over his niggles.

If he's going to do anything this year he'll need to play on the weekend. And he'll need to play most, if not all, of the game.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

You're right Doc. It looks to me like it's now or never this week for Gardy.

If he doesn't play for Sandy this week, or only half a game, I think that the body is saying that he will never get back, unfortunately.