So who replaces Gwilt?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Let's go Walsh.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Yes....lets go a thirty year old..
It's not about age. It's about who's best equipped to do the job. That could be one of three or four or even five depending on opposition - Simpkin, Blake, Baker, Lynch or even Walsh.

With Raph showing a bit over a couple of weeks, it makes the balance thing a 'happy' conundrum. Perhaps to a degree his run overcomes Jimmy's kicks.

I like Lynch back there from what I've seen him do in that role at Sandy (albeit last season), but really - thankfully - backmen is something we have a heap of.

Gwilt's linebusting left will be missed, however...

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

big loss for us. blake the obvious but doesn't give us the same running and kicking on ability. but would be my choice, with raph taking more of gwilt's role (if he can string a few decent games together).
if blake isn't fit then i'd like to see walsh in.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
jays
Club Player

lynch imo

older saint
SS Life Member

Working ona like for like it would probably be out of Walsh, Lynch or Blake.
Blake looked like his knee was made of glass the last gaem he played in the 2's.

Looking for rebound run and good ball use to replace Gwilt then Lynch, If more about size and rebound but perhaps less on skill and mobility perhaps Walsh.

Need to try it next couple weeks and make a decision. Perhaps try Walsh as an opportunity exists to but really like what i have seen with Lynch this season

To the top
SS Life Member

Fortunately we have a good spread of defenders but will lose the precision long kicking of Gwilt.

I am not sure Lynch has the depth of kick (seems mainly to go short) so if he comes in (which is likely in my view) then the run of Gram, Clarke and Gilbert will become more important on the rebound.

As will the precision of Goddard when he rotates back.

I do not think that any side will allow the likes of Goddard, Gram, Clarke or Gilbert to drift back off the play as Gwilt does so consistently, so Lynch will fill that back off the play position, needing to feed the runners from defence and not spotting 60 metres up the ground.

Gamble did not impress me accross many aspects of his game - and, in regards his 2 goals as a pass mark, one was from a free after Montagna was decked after disposal.

We are still looking for that mid-sized attacking player to take pressure off Riewoldt (and Koschitzke when he is forward and not rucking or on the inter change recovering) and the damage Gwilt's absence particularly does is that it takes Lynch out of that equation.

From a winning side, I would be replacing Gwilt and Gamble.

Polo did an honest job.

I am pleased to say that all of Gram, Clarke and Koschitzke, who all take criticism here, contributed well proving that you do not play your very good footballers in the VFL.

A back 6 containing all of Fisher, Dawson, Gilbert, Clarke, Dempster and Lynch is going to be tall, with Clarke at 188cm the shortest and the remainder 191cm and taller.

Then there are Goddard and Gram rotating back.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Gram is most definitely a part of the back 6 now...... Dempster and Clarke both play shorter than their size....

Gwilt will be missed for his composure, strength/speed combo but most of all his kicking....

Can
Blake, baker, lynch, walsh, geary help in that area....
Polo is honest.....another way to put it....he is average

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Raph replaces Gwilt, and becomes one of the most important players for the rest of the season. Teams will now put the heavy tag on Fisher in the hope thy we have no one else to rebound. We'll probably see Blake or Baker come in and play their role.

I was only able to see the second half of the game last night because of work, but Polo looked like he earnt his spot for next week (though I don't see him being a long term player) and Gamble was his usual fumbly, easily-outbodied self. Maybe he had a good first half, but I certainly didn't see anything in the second. Doubt he'll be dropped though, it seems Ross is quite a fan.

resaintlee
Club Player

Can someone please tell me how far behind the ball the bump on Gwilt was made.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

resaintlee wrote:Can someone please tell me how far behind the ball the bump on Gwilt was made.
Looked about 7-10 metres.

mrkiss
Club Player

in for jimbo gwilt

has gotta be tommy walsh love how simpkin & blake play but walsh will be a great player and hes someone who like goddard can play all over the ground saw him for a 1/4 in the ruck at sandy and hes strong as an ox definately someone who could be a mate in a time of crisis as jimbo has all year

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

What about Dal?

Rossy sending him there for a time may prove handy.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Blake or Geary…
Can't see Ross getting too many more debutantes involved at this stage.

linz
Club Player

We need to throw the dice and take a punt on Walsh. We know what to expect from our tried and true players but we need to unearth another gem if we are to challenge at all this year. Steven has been one gem, we need another so give Walsh a go.

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.
i_luv_nick_riewoldt
SS Life Member

I miss Blake. He played well last week for Sandy. Couple more games for fitness and slot him in there.

Go saints in '09!
Moods
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:What about Dal?

Too valuable doing what he's doing in the midfield for mine.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:
SainterK wrote:What about Dal?

Too valuable doing what he's doing in the midfield for mine.
True.

Just needs to be someone who can kick, getting it past the press has become so crucial.

Some good users like Higgins, Yarran have found themselves there this year.

Helen
Club Player

Re: So who replaces Gwilt?

Sainternist wrote:Tom Simpkin? Tommy Walsh?

When is Jason Blake due back?
If Tommy Walsh does not play this week against Adelaide then Lyon is a complete moron and if I was Walsh I would book my tickets home back to Ireland.

SaintSimmo
Club Player

time will tell.........4 days time that is :lol:

Sainter for life.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Just needs to be someone who can kick, getting it past the press has become so crucial.
BJ

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
SainterK wrote:Just needs to be someone who can kick, getting it past the press has become so crucial.
BJ
Thought you wanted him the forward line Carl :wink:

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
BJ
Thought you wanted him the forward line Carl :wink:
We both know that is not going to happen.

We have a glut of half back flankers, so replacing Jimmy is not that hard. However, if you want someone who can kick as long and as accurately as Gwilt, then BJ can do it.

Of course, his kicking would be just as valuable for actually putting them through the big sticks. Would be nice to have just one goal-kicking key forward in the side.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Tom Lynch or Geary.

Lynch offers us dependable disposal (Blake is juts not able to offer this OR ANY run). Lynch also offer us versatility in that he can fwd.

I wouldnt be against Geary........with maybe Dempster taking the taller opponents and Geary's run out of backline would be nice..............disposal agaon the worry.

“Yeah….nah””
PJ
SS Life Member

I suppose the question may be do we need another defender to replace Jimmy or do we have enough currently in the team?
One possible backline -

Ray Dawson Dempster
Gilbo Fish Raph

This allows either Lynch or Walsh to go forward if selected.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
R. Harvey 3 votes!
Club Player

BigMart wrote:Ross has tommy pigeon holed.....it will be blake

Simpkin next...

Walsh will only be considered if Zac is injured....

I would make these changes
Out
Gamble, gwilt, polo
In
Walsh, lynch, geary
Bahaha....I had to laugh because these comments must be a joke? Did you not see the game? That was probably Polo's best game for the club and Gamble was more than handy? You must be a colliingwood supporter? Maybe we should drop Montagna too he only had 17 possessions in the first quarter!

When Harvey played his first game in 1988, I was a 12yo wearing short pants and struggling with my readin', writin' and 'rithmetic in grade eight. Now, I'm a father of three and a retired AFL player. And he's still going. Amazing! - Michael Voss