We should have drafted Darling!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

We should have drafted Darling!

Just thought I'd start the inevitable thread now :roll:

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

Just checked West Coast's forum.....Apparently they should have drafted Steven. How did a bloke who went so low in the draft manage to pick up 30 touches 10 clearances and single handedly rip the game to shreds.

Moorabbin Man
Club Player

Agreed absolutely, he's precisely what we needed, ah the benefit of hindsight. He's also exactly what Geelong, The Bulldogs, Melbourne, Richmond and Carlton needed. So a lot of teams that needed him, missed him.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Moorabbin Man wrote:Agreed absolutely, he's precisely what we needed, ah the benefit of hindsight. He's also exactly what Geelong, The Bulldogs, Melbourne, Richmond and Carlton needed. So a lot of teams that needed him, missed him.
Yep.

And for the record I'm more than happy with the kids we did draft.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Too negative a thread for me.... :lol:

The list changes for 2025 have begun, always an interesting time for an avid supporter.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

No comment on the draft.....

I do think Jack had a photo on the website draft day..... :wink: :lol:

What i will add....is steven was drafted in 2007....this is his 4th year on the list

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Reading about Jimmy gwilt today - another of the famous St.Kilda stuff ups.

For dp#63 he has been a waste of a pick, only two Brownlow votes in his 81 games.

What a disgrace and I am sure some on here could have used that dp so much better.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Reading about Jimmy gwilt today - another of the famous St.Kilda stuff ups.

For dp#63 he has been a waste of a pick, only two Brownlow votes in his 81 games.

What a disgrace and I am sure some on here could have used that dp so much better.
Yes well obviously we should have used that pick on the guy that beat him in the Noble Park B & F :wink:

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
joffaboy wrote:Reading about Jimmy gwilt today - another of the famous St.Kilda stuff ups.

Yes well obviously we should have used that pick on the guy that beat him in the Noble Park B & F :wink:
Was there a picture of that bloke? Maybe there wasn't one and apparently, because that is the criteria of some on here if a recruit is any good or not, we plumped for Jimmy so he could go up on the AFL website.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

I was holding my breath hoping we would get Darling, I saw pick club after club pass on him and then it came up to our pick, I was stoked that we were about to snare him... then we drafted Jamie Cripps and I seriously couldn't believe it, I was absolutely gutted.

Whilst I am now hopeful that Cripps will be a star and I'll back the people who know a lot more than me I am still a little bit disappointed that we don't have Darling.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

We should have drafted McBurney, he kills us every time we line up against him :(

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
The Bluff
Club Player

they did say that they wanted to draft mid-fielders last year which is what they did.

at this early stage it looks like they might have done very well with at least two looking like they will be very good.

wasaintsfan
Club Player

we shouldve drafted alot of people... but we didnt... so whats the point?

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

wasaintsfan wrote:we shouldve drafted alot of people... but we didnt... so whats the point?
No one ever suggested there was a point :wink:

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Desperate Joffa....

Jimmy was a massive success...not sure he had anything to do with the OP..

But keep trying

I have no isuue applauding stk successes, of which we have many......and sometimes we make hindsight errors which at the time were obvious decisions....brooks, watts

I am happy when we make a good decision that works out.....and unhappy when they dont....more often than not, they make solid calls

You on the otherhand try and defend the undefendable.....for some reason or another..... Ross is a gun, he doesnt need your blind support.... I sure he can answer the critics quite easily himself

He can just point to the scoreboard

Can i give you 5 other draft surprises that were a ripping success to aid your attempted bullying
Leigh montagna....37, sam fisher....55, steve baker.....28, Tom ledger....59, jack stev....43

All clearly first round worthy....along with Gwilt

And then my absolute favourite....arryn siposs.....75

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

I blame GT.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

im happy with Cripps ..

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

The club looked long and hard at drafting Darling, as did all the others. In 2009 he was considered a certain top 5 for the following year. His WAFL form in 2010 was less than spectacular, his season plagued by injury. To top it all off there were a couple of off-field incidents that led to some questioning his temperament and ability to adjust to the spotlight of the "bigtime". His attitude also alarmed some, in that he was more than a little full of himself, given his tender years and lack of achievement.

All those factors contributed to his slide in the pecking order. I suspect all of this has been canvassed on here before. It may look like a mistake now, but last year's emphasis was to recruit good kicks who had good leg speed and elite running ability. On those scores, we certainly hit the mark. If Jamie Cripps hadn't injured his calf, we might all be a lot happier with our choice right now. From the little evidence we've seen of him at senior level, I believe he has shown enough to indicate a promising future. Surely the jury is out on the relative merits of our choices. Patience please, fellow forumites. I'm sure last year's draft choices will deliver for us.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Personally.....a lot of clubs were silly to overlook Darling....

But Cripps looks OK, and pick 24 seems about right for him and what he showed.... His performance will be off set anyway with picks 59 & 75...

I think Jamie needs to put some hardwork into his body, he is very injury prone....getting injured in almost every game he played this season, he needs a stronger body

But three out of four have shown something out of that draft so far, and the positive thing is (unlike darling) have a lot of physical improvement in them.....giving them nice scope

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Darling was considered to be a bag of trouble by just about every club, so let's not bag the Saints for not selecting him.

Cripps was a very good selection. If he stays fit, he'll be our next Dal Santo.

Patience everyone.

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Moorabbin Man wrote:Agreed absolutely, he's precisely what we needed, ah the benefit of hindsight. He's also exactly what Geelong, The Bulldogs, Melbourne, Richmond and Carlton needed. So a lot of teams that needed him, missed him.
Yep, he is just what every club needs.

I love this club
kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

Why didn't the Eagles pick up Gamble with pick 84?

Idiots.

Furtius Quo Rdelious
goddardisgod
Club Player

Was thoroughly unimpressed.

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

On the Eagles board they are saying if only they had taken Xavier Clarke instead of Judd, they would have been able to persuade his brother to join them at some stage.

Furtius Quo Rdelious
Griggsy
SS Life Member

'If we picked Darling he wouldnt have debuted yet"

Saving the youth pushers the trouble of posting.